What's new

6.5 Grendel

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would guess that the low velocity may not expand a bullet. I have always heard that 1000 foot pounds of kinetic energy is a minimum for whitetail. I don’t really think that is true though. Shot placement and bullet performance is king. You’ll have to get the velocity up to the point that the bullet expands well and still penetrates far enough. People do bullet testing on you tube. I believe “simple minded fella” does a ton of testing of 6.5 mm bullets at lower velocity to simulate long range shots. He can give you an idea of how low a velocity will still make a bullet perform reasonably.

If you restrict your shots on hogs to behind the ear, expansion may not matter too much? Just penetration, where the 160 gr. may have an advantage despite marginal ft/lbs of energy and a rainbow trajectory? Dunno. Also, substituting "target" bullets for "game" bullets might perform better as far as expansion at lower velocity because of the lighter jackets?

Lets not forget about damage from keyholing? That spitzer bullet just might start tumbling end over end after impact at only 1000 fps. Would effect good penetration on a Hog; however, a hole is a hole? :)

OkieStubble

Pigs, no problem. I would be more concerned with losing a nice buck due to poor performance of a bullet.

I don’t care if the deer hears the crack from my supersonic bullet…. :)

Subsonic and quiet at 150 yards would just be another option in the tool bag? :)

Okie, I think the 6.5 Grendel is a FANTASTIC choice! I have also have a Ruger American and an AR chambered in that round. It's kind of a just right cartridge; a jack of all trades. But also just plain fun to shoot. Even at supersonic bullet spreeds, a suppressor on that rifle would make for a better shooting experience. By all means, get a 30 cal suppressor if you don't already have one.

I built one with same barrel length as an Alexander Arms Overwatch upper, but used an Adams Arms gas piston system. All the gas venting is well forward of the receiver and my ears and it does seem a little quieter. I think with that gas venting somewhere besides the muzzle, you are going to have some operation noise with a semi auto vs a bolt action or single shot.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Upper receiver, BCG, forearm and gas tube ordered. Unfortunately, Wilson Combat is not having a Memorial Day sale on their barrels, so that one will have to wait, but not for long!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My thoughts are leading me to thinking this would be cool to turn into a little scout rifle?

So, you know me, Leupold 3x9? :)
Rob, I'm looking at the Vortex Viper PST 2-10X Gen II for my 6.5 G upper, prolly fill the same niche for the Ruger American? Eurooptic gives a great MIL/LEO discount on Vortex making it very reasonable.

OkieStubble

Rob, I'm looking at the Vortex Viper PST 2-10X Gen II for my 6.5 G upper, prolly fill the same niche for the Ruger American? Eurooptic gives a great MIL/LEO discount on Vortex making it very reasonable.

What’s the reticle look like? How much does it weigh? :)

I had the clerk behind the counter at Cabela’s yesterday, get about 10 scopes out of their boxes. :)

Almost pulled the trigger on a Vortex Diamondback Tactical, 4x12x50 or a Diamondback 3x9x40.

Everything there with the Leupold name on it was all outdated scopes with non BDC pig reticles.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

Also available in MOA, but back ordered. Oh, by the way, normal LEO/MIL discount on Vortex is 40% off MSRP, but it is 50% off through 5/31, no pressure!
I'm not enabling, really, just passing on info.🤣

OkieStubble

$1100 and some change. Kinda pricey for a $600 rifle? :). I could use the LE discount but I don’t really like to do that anymore now that I’m retired. Lots of LE who work for smaller departments have to buy and carry their own stuff because smaller dept budgets can’t afford to issue stuff like that.

My department issued everything we needed. I’ve used blue label a few times over the years for personal firearms, because I could justify it in my mind that I could or would use it in an off duty incident.

But now I’m retired, I like to pay the full price just like every other hard working American Joe has to scrounge up his pennies and do also.

I was never ever about entitlements or perks as an officer. Maybe a donut and a cup of coffee, but 10 course meals at fancy restaurants or half off on a $2000 firearm accessory just because of the job I do, rubbed me a bit different than many other guys. Unless there is a minor possibility I would use it to save someone else’s arse who I don’t know? And not just me and mine? I prefer to pay full price just like everyone else. :)

$2000 scopes on top of $600 rifles or $600 scopes on top of $2000 rifles doesn’t make financial sense. :) either too much rifle for the scope and you need to upgrade or buy a better rifle that expensive scope is worthy of. :)

OkieStubble

Also available in MOA, but back ordered. Oh, by the way, normal LEO/MIL discount on Vortex is 40% off MSRP, but it is 50% off through 5/31, no pressure!
I'm not enabling, really, just passing on info.🤣

Damn, I gotta admit though, that reticle is bitchin’. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think you have earned a lifetime discount, but that's just me. YMMV. So, with the discount, that is close to the cost of the rifle. Also a great price for FFP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom