What's new

6.5 Grendel vs 6.8 SPC

Gents - just wondering about opinions on each cartridge. I have a Larue 6.5 Grendel w 18" barrel, and a Barrett Rec7 6.8 SPC also w an 18' barrel. (I would have gotten a 16" barrel for the SPC but got the 18" for a song.)

My opinions are very similar to the 6.5 CM vs .308 debate. Seems like the SPC hits a little harder (and makes a slightly bigger hole) under 400 yards, but after that its all Grendel.

Anyone with experience with both?

That Barrett with the 18 foot barrel must be quite heavy...how do you hold it?? :001_tt2:
[/QUOTE

Good question.

No experience with both. Twelve-fourteen years ago I got interested and went with the Grendel, Now have 3 AR variants, and a little CZ 527. Lots of experience with the 6.5 Swedish Mauser also, so had a preference for the 6.5.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm new to the 6.5 Grendel and have no experience with the 6.8 SPC. I'm not sure what your concern is. Is there something that the 6.8 will do under 400 yds. that the 6.5 won't? Not trying to be a smart arse, I truly don't know the answer. Just because the numbers on paper may be a little better, I don't know that that translates to terminal performance. Perhaps that is your question. One reason I ask is, on another forum devoted to the 6.5 G, there are those who opt for short barrel 6.5 Grendels for medium range hunting, as opposed to opting for the longest barrel that optimizes ballistic performance.

Having taken my first whitetail years ago with a sporterized Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, I'm enamored with the various 6.5 variants.

I'm new to the 6.5 Grendel and have no experience with the 6.8 SPC. I'm not sure what your concern is. Is there something that the 6.8 will do under 400 yds. that the 6.5 won't? Not trying to be a smart arse, I truly don't know the answer. Just because the numbers on paper may be a little better, I don't know that that translates to terminal performance. Perhaps that is your question. One reason I ask is, on another forum devoted to the 6.5 G, there are those who opt for short barrel 6.5 Grendels for medium range hunting, as opposed to opting for the longest barrel that optimizes ballistic performance.

Like I said I have been playing with the Grendel for a number of years now. Honestly I do not think a deer size animal give or take 100-150 pounds would know the difference between the two cartridges. The only thing I can see and that is on paper is that the Grendel will shoot flatter over a longer range. Kind of a moot point for me as the range I use only goes out to 250 yards, and I do very little shooting at that distance, not caring to walk that far on a hot day to put up and change targets.

Having taken my first whitetail years ago with a sporterized Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, I'm enamored with the various 6.5 variants.

Really just looking for first hand accounts at different ranges from guys who've shot one or both.

And for the record I love the 6.5x55 as well. Used a Tikka chambered in that to hunt this year. (Came up empty.)

Also, have a Sig SSG 3000 that I LOVE, and thinking of getting a 6.5x55 barrel for it.

Top Bottom