What's new

50 Miles in the GSMNP

My wife and I just got back from a 53 mile backpacking trip in the Great Smoky Mountains. We started at Clingman's Dome and took the AT southbound to the Welch Ridge Trail to Hazel Creek Trail to Campsite 83 (14.9 miles). On Hazel Creek we did about 15 creek crossings where the water was to at least mid-shin height.

Day two took us along the Lakeshore Trail to Campsite 81, an easy 8.7 miles. Day 3 was more of the Lakeshore Trail to campsite 98 (11.4 miles).

Day four was 8.7 miles along Lakeshore to the Forney Creek Trail, an especially beautiful section. We stayed at campsite 71. Our last day took us along the Springhouse Branch Trail to Forney Ridge Trail back to Clingman's Dome (9.8 miles).

We had great weather throughout the trip. It did rain two nights, but never during the day. One night dipped below freezing, but our daytime temps were pleasant - upper 50s. We kept our pack weight light by dehydrating all our meals (which were delicious!). My soft used her hammock, but I wanted to try out a tent system. It was my first time with the TarpTent ProTrail, and it worked great. Overall, a great trip and a much-needed vacation.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome! Doing three days in Grand Canyon shortly. It’ll be my first backcountry overnight hiking trip. Praying for mild temps. We are cheating with a meal at Phantom Ranch the first night, but eating dehydrated dinner the second night.

Awesome! Doing three days in Grand Canyon shortly. It’ll be my first backcountry overnight hiking trip. Praying for mild temps. We are cheating with a meal at Phantom Ranch the first night, but eating dehydrated dinner the second night.

That sounds incredible! That's definitely a bucket list trip.

Top Bottom