What's new

50 Best BBQ Joints in America

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The best burger I have ever had was a place called Pop's in Waxahachie. Pop was in there when I was there last, and he said my granddaughter was a cutey. He is a man of wisdom.

On edit: doh, I saw BBQ but thought burger. My post makes no sense.

Last edited:
Years ago there was a great BBQ place in Boca Raton, FL: Tom's. Tom started out with a small trailer on Dixie Highway where you would take out your order. It was always a shock to see a line of luxury cars parked and waiting for their BBQ. When I would visit my parents I would pick up some ribs and drive to their place. The aroma filled my car and by the time I got to their house I was ready to eat.
proxy.php

Eventually, Tom opened a full restaurant and during the season it was always packed. No reservations and the lines were incredible. However, the wait was worth it. The ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and catfish were fantastic. His BBQ sauce came with various degrees of heat. The aroma would drive you crazy. The sides of hush puppies, corn, collard greens, and black-eyed peas also good.

In addition to the best BBQ I have ever had, Tom and his wife were the nicest people you could meet.
proxy.php

Tom was a Pastor in his church and he helped many individuals overcome drug and alcohol addiction, and would employ them in his restaurant.

When I would visit my parents, this was the one place I would be sure to eat at. If you asked my sons where they would like to eat the answer was always Toms.

Eventually, Tom's wife passed away and he died shortly thereafter. The restaurant closed and my favorite BBQ joint was no more.

My sister who still lives in the Boca Raton area said that she thinks their son has opened a BBQ joint in a neighboring town.

I have gone to a number of good BBQ joints in St. Louis, Kansas City, and other cities. But none could match Toms.

Years ago there was a great BBQ place in Boca Raton, FL: Tom's. Tom started out with a small trailer on Dixie Highway where you would take out your order. It was always a shock to see a line of luxury cars parked and waiting for their BBQ. When I would visit my parents I would pick up some ribs and drive to their place. The aroma filled my car and by the time I got to their house I was ready to eat.
proxy.php

Eventually, Tom opened a full restaurant and during the season it was always packed. No reservations and the lines were incredible. However, the wait was worth it. The ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and catfish were fantastic. His BBQ sauce came with various degrees of heat. The aroma would drive you crazy. The sides of hush puppies, corn, collard greens, and black-eyed peas also good.

In addition to the best BBQ I have ever had, Tom and his wife were the nicest people you could meet.
proxy.php

Tom was a Pastor in his church and he helped many individuals overcome drug and alcohol addiction, and would employ them in his restaurant.

When I would visit my parents, this was the one place I would be sure to eat at. If you asked my sons where they would like to eat the answer was always Toms.

Eventually, Tom's wife passed away and he died shortly thereafter. The restaurant closed and my favorite BBQ joint was no more.

My sister who still lives in the Boca Raton area said that she thinks their son has opened a BBQ joint in a neighboring town.

I have gone to a number of good BBQ joints in St. Louis, Kansas City, and other cities. But none could match Toms.

Tom'Jr.

Small BBQ shack opened by his son in Del Ray Beach Too.

Just as good.

It is still there

I’ve been to a few of these places. My learned opinion-

Lexington BBQ just is not all that good. Reminds me of average chain-restaurant BBQ.
Blacks in Texas is legit. Worth visiting.
Fox Bros....good but far too much hype. Where Fox Bros. shines is their side dishes. Fine BBQ, but the crowds and hours long waiting sours the place for me.
Shivers. Surprised it is still there. I had kin living in Homestead 50 some years ago and Shiver’s was a place we would go. Not sure it’s as good since Hurricane Andrew, but decent BBQ nonetheless. Placing it in the top 50 is a bold move I think.

What I wonder is where are:
Bessinger’s-Columbia SC
Community BBQ-Decatur GA
Sweatman’s-Holly Hill SC
Charlie Vergos Rendezvous-Memphis TN
Fat Matt’s-Atlanta GA
City Market-Luling TX
Each and every one of these places hits a home run. The guy writing this article got on base, but it was because of an infield error.

A few years ago while traveling back from California in our little camper I decided that we could make the last half of the journey (east of the Mississippi river) a BBQ trip.

We stopped at scores of small and large places and had a wide variety of quality. I would always ask, everywhere we stopped, "where's the best BBQ in the region"?

Of all the places this one topped them all. Their website: Bub-Ba-Q

Almost didn't stop because of the name but once I went through the front door and had to travel past more trophies and blue ribbons than I had ever seen in one place before in my life for #1 first place BBQ in contests all across the US I knew I'd found "the place"

If you are ever out in Northern Georgia in the middle of nowhere, stop in. You will thank me for decades to come

proxy.php

proxy.php

Jasper, GA....Pickens County.
“Middle of nowhere...?”
C’mon now.
Do beware the speed trap south of town though-brutal!!!

About 30 minutes from where we live, just across the TN-GA line.

I have heard of Bub-Ba-Que, never have stopped there though. Now it’s a mission.
Another reported worthwhile BBQ place in Jasper is Big ‘Uns right on Hwy 515 just north of town.

Jasper, GA....Pickens County.
“Middle of nowhere...?”
C’mon now.
Do beware the speed trap south of town though-brutal!!!

Hey to a city boy like me Burbank is the middle of nowhere.

About 30 minutes from where we live, just across the TN-GA line.

I have heard of Bub-Ba-Que, never have stopped there though. Now it’s a mission.
Another reported worthwhile BBQ place in Jasper is Big ‘Uns right on Hwy 515 just north of town.

Jasper is town that you don't go "through", it's a town you must "go to".

As I recall it was a long way off our travel route.

They do have a 2nd place in Marietta

I took a road trip with my son and father a year and a half ago and we found this nice little place in between Houston and San Antonio(literally half way between). I still have them ship me beef jerky, but their bbq was quite good.

Home

My parents bought a house way out in Carova Beach, on the very North end of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Just before you get to the beach road(the beach is the road) there is a little spot with a post office, a gas station and a bbq shack. It's a walk up with picnic tables and plenty of yellow jackets buzzing around. Real good Carolina bbq.

Home

A little closer to home, I found this place driving back and forth from the airport, and they serve up a nice plate of bbq, as well.

JR's Barbeque

I know there are some great bbq places that I've never been, but these are special to me, and I'll talk 'em up. If you find yourself in Corrolla, Culver City, or Flatonia, with a hanker for some smoked meat, you know where to go.

Actually Jasper is somewhat of a metropolis compared to where I live.

When we travel in our little camper we take secondary US highways, State Roads, and even county roads (if they are paved).

Most of the time the view through the windshield looks like this

proxy.php

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Where's Jim's house???

And I have to say, when a place like Black's Barbecue in Lockhart Texas has to put "gluten free" on their menu, America's best days are behind it.

I've been to the Salt Lick in Driftwood many times. Very good but not great.
100% agree, the fact that its on this list and Franklin isn't is criminal, temporary closure or not. Definitely a fun place, especially with a group and plenty of booze, but just not the best quality compared to some of these other places.

Aaron have you been to Micklethwait?

Top Bottom