What's new

5 Years in and still learning.

Well what do you know, after about 5 years of using shaving soaps I am still learning better ways of lathering. The well known fact of using more product can make a substantial difference as I discovered with Arko. A few months ago, I decided that I had to give this famous soap another shot but I could never really get the kind of stellar shaves everyone seemed to be getting with it. The lather I was getting was thin and underprotective. Then one day, I thought I would just lay it on thick and see what happens. So I loaded my brush with lather and started face lathering, after a while, I loaded some more lather onto my brush and then continued face lathering and finally I loaded one more time and then went back to my face. After that I dipped the tips of my brush in water and then continued face lathering and repeated the process until I was satisfied with the lather consistency. By now I had plastered my face with a thick layer of slick lather and it made a tremendous difference to the shave. I was reticent to do this before because, I found that thick lather would create drag, but the key seems to be to saturate the lather with water to the extent that when you shave, the lather and stubble residue left on my straight tend to run off the blade under its own weight. Arguably this process takes a bit more time but it is very rewarding in terms of lather quality. Frankly, I do not mind because I enjoy the face lathering part nearly as much as the shaving part.

Another thing that has improved my lather is a tip from one of Mantic's videos where he says that the first batch of lather you create, which is not as dense as that you get from thorough mixing can be put to good use to prep your face. Essentially I load my brush and then apply a coat of lather on my face before treating myself to a warm wet towel. By the time you go back to the soap to reload your brush, the extra mixing provides for a more dense and shave worthy lather.

So if you are ever confronted with a soap that everyone raves about but that does not work for you, try laying it on thick, as described above, before giving up on it or writing a negative review on the product.

Wise words, Erik.

Like anything when get into a routine, start taking things for granted, sometimes we stop thinking.

Regarding Arko, it's a tremendous soap. It and Palmolive are my two travel / gym / in-a-hurry shave sticks.

Essentially I load my brush and then apply a coat of lather on my face before treating myself to a warm wet towel

That's sounds nice. I haven't done it a long while. Years maybe. You have a towel warmer solution?

Oh and by the way, definitely people need to keep trying, but sometimes even those soaps that are harder to lather aren't end all's. I think people need a good dose of skepticism alongside the heaping of hyperbole.

But always a good discussion and conversation as to what people want out of lather which always isn't exactly the same.

Nice to see that there is always room to learn. Good advice too, I'll try it with a soap that has been giving me some trouble lately.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Great thread, Erik. When it comes to wet shaving there's always something new to learn or something that can simply be done in a better way.

I agree with you about the face lathering part. I get tremendous satisfaction from building up the lather. My first six months, my lathers were inconsistent. Somedays good..., others, meh. I got lots of great advice from the many gentlemen here. Like learning any new skill, things just started to click... it all made sense.
And you are right about not giving a product a chance; just because someone writes a critical review, that doesn't mean the product won't work for them. One of my recent achievements is unlocking the secret to William's shave soap --- and being rewarded with some wonderful shaves. I had steered clear from William's because of some negative reviews here. I am glad I opened my mind (and, to be honest, there are quite a few William's fans here also).
Enjoy your shave!!

Great story. Although with arko, I swirl for 10 seconds, and I seem to have enough for 5 passes.....I always end up wasting so much it seems.

Top Bottom