What's new

5 Straights in 10 Days

Nice reviews. I'm always amazed by folks describing smells they detect. I suppose it's that I don't seem to discern those type of subtleties in scents.

proxy.php

Fraenkel 4pc Travel Razor | Feather | WSP Rustic Lavenderwood | Vie-Long 04312 Cachurro | CC Large Bowl | Caesars Man EDT

I loaded too much soap on the brush again for today's shave. I'm going to try around 30 seconds of loading tomorrow. I do like the WSP soap. Shave today with the Fraenkel was effortless and efficient.

Paired with the Caesars Man. Caesars Man has an abundance of lavender supported by a peppery accord of rosemary and fir that is softened by copious amounts of oakmoss. I'm rarely in the mood for it because it is so strong. However, it plays well with the Lavenderwood.

Nice shave Nick, I'm excited to try my new WSP soaps tomorrow. Have a nice week:thumbup:
I'm looking forward to reading about what you think.

Nice reviews. I'm always amazed by folks describing smells they detect. I suppose it's that I don't seem to discern those type of subtleties in scents.
It takes time to try to figure out what things are there, and we all smell differently.

Great shaves with the new soaps!

I am going to pick your brain if you do not mind regarding a new to me used pipe I just bought off ebay. I saw you in another forum on pipes and was wondering what you thought of this Kaywoodie 500 #33

proxy.php

Are they decent? The listing said 'light chatter' on the stem - is that tooth marks? Going to have to start reading up on sanitizing and smoking. I should ask my Dad as he smoked a pipe when I was younger (Blend 11 was his regular tobacco).

Thank you!

I am going to pick your brain if you do not mind regarding a new to me used pipe I just bought off ebay. I saw you in another forum on pipes and was wondering what you thought of this Kaywoodie 500 #33

proxy.php

Are they decent? The listing said 'light chatter' on the stem - is that tooth marks? Going to have to start reading up on sanitizing and smoking. I should ask my Dad as he smoked a pipe when I was younger (Blend 11 was his regular tobacco).

Thank you!

Chatter is tooth marks. They are fairly normal wear and tear unless someone uses a softy bit. I haven't smoked a pipe in a few years now. I used to enjoy it, but I'm still young and I wanted to keep up with everyone else cycling. Some of the best deals I've even seen on pipes were from Marty Pulvers ( http://www.pulversbriar.com/ ). It looks like he is still in business. He is a great guy and he writes very useful descriptions. The specials & misc pages often has some great deals, but he also has some gorgeous high-end pipes as well. I'm also a fan of http://www.muthpipes.com/ he makes some great pipes for very reasonable prices. Talbert's Ligne Bretagne is also great to look at for affordable and gorgeous pipes.

My general opinion about pipes is that a well-made and properly broken in briar of any cost and Missouri Meerschaum will give you about the same quality of smoke. Sometimes the Missouri Meerschaum will actually smoke better. I probably used my cobs 75% of the time and a $20 rusticated bent apple basket pipe the rest of the time. I rarely smoked my other pipes. The quality of the smoke was almost entirely dependent on the tobacco and technique. I never tried a some of the more exotic materials, Meerschaum, clay, or morta. It is possible that they smoke different. I did have a cherrywood, and it was only a minor difference.

Enjoy your new rabbit hole!

proxy.php

Gold Heavy Tech | Lord Super Stainless | WSP Rustic Lavenderwood | Semogue 830 | Clubman Vanilla

I used the Marco Method with the Semogue today. Brush was fully loaded in 30 seconds. Great slick shave with lots of residual slickness. I think I was missing the residual slickness before because I had too much soap on my brush. I've very happy with this soap. I think the price and performance are excellent. I wish there were more exciting scents, but this will be something I plan to keep around in my den. BBS

Great shave Nick. I like the sound of Lavenderwood, and need to find a good lavender EDT.
Caron pour un Homme is my favorite Lavender, but it is an entirely different kind of lavender than the lavenderwood and I don't think it would blend together well. It is a soft and floral lavender without any of the camphor that lavender normally has. It also has a good bit of vanilla and tonka in it.
I think Lavenderwood might pair well with Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur or Cologne du Coq. It isn't in the same league of those delightful fragrances, but I think they'd go fairly well together. Mouchoir de Monsieur is the sort of old style fragrance that isn't fashionable any more and I'd recommend sampling before buying. Cologne du Coq is a delightful and short lived peppery citrus cologne with a touch of lavender in it. Puig's Agua Brava would probably also work, but that is more of Mediterranean herbal scent (like Pino Silvestre) that happens to have lavender in it.

Nice shave today Nick! I like the rustic look of the photo!
I didn't even do much to yesterday's photo. I only cropped it, shrunk it, and color adjusted it. Same with today's photo. The edited versions are posted over in the SOTD.

....Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur....is the sort of old style fragrance that isn't fashionable any more and I'd recommend sampling before buying....

Sampling this one is sage advice. It has an "interesting" initial blast that takes about 15 to 20 minutes to dissipate, but then it becomes something quite nice and worth the wait. I just wish it had more longevity for me.

proxy.php

Thank you!

Kaywoodies are pretty nice pipes. Make sure you remove and clean the metal bits inside the stem after each use as moisture can accumulate and degrade the smoking experience. I've heard of guys removing the little plug in thingie so they can just run regular pipe cleaners through and park them in place at the bottom of the bowl. I have several I enjoy very much. (well, enjoyed as SWMBO has banned me from smoking in my man-cave.) :blush:

No pictures for yesterday or today. I've been very busy :-(. I face lathered with my Tabac both days.

Yesterday, I used the German travel razor and a Feather blade. Everything was fine, until the bottom part of the 2pc handle came loose. I ended up slicing my lip. It wasn't deep, but it took a long time to clot and I had to stop the shave. :blushing: I cut myself with a DE. People are always asking me if shaving with a SR is dangerous. LOL.

Today, I wanted to avoid any mishaps and went with the Injector and the Schick blade. Great BBS shave. I hope to have time for a really nice shave and to check in on everyone's journals tomorrow.

Nice setup today Nick. Do you have a favorite DE blade or does it depend upon the razor you are using?

My favorites are Feathers, Polisilver Super Iridium, various Lord factory Blades (Lord & Shark Super Stainless & Super Chrome), and Gillette Nacet blades the most out of the ones I've tried. I'm haven't found a particular favorite yet, because I'm still new to DE shaving. I happen to have lots of assorted blades I bought to sample. I often just grab one and shave. Most of them give a decent shave.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear about the cut to the lip the other day - they do bleed. Way to bounce back with the Injector and the BBS shave!

Thanks for the help with the pipe. I have a MM Country Gentleman arriving today and have been bidding on some additional estate pipes.

Poking my head in to catch up this morning. I've had some good shaves, but not much time to post. Thanks for the Holiday wishes! :thumbup:

Top Bottom