What's new

5 shot for self defense?

I realize there are plenty of conversations online about this (many I've read), but I'd like to know what your thoughts are on this...

I am fairly well stocked on buckshot rounds but I wanted to double my stash and the best I could do was 5 shot. The price was right so I pulled the trigger so as to not shoot myself in the foot later. Glad I did. Only 7 1/2 available now. Anyway...

Opinions welcomed here. I have a small home and I suspect that even in a zombie apocalypse situation, I would have the range to be effective with this round and incapacitate my enemy. I also plan to stack my loads with different rounds. Aside from the usual, 'no one who values life would defend with birdshot' response, is there anything you all can or would like to add to this? Genuinely interested in your input.

Thanks!

Up close and personal, ie, inside a house, I would be ok with #9 shot. It's going to take the fight out of any intruder.
Now if you get out 25-40 yards I would rather have something bigger, but that might not be a really defensive encounter.

I would feel well enough armed with 5 shot in a small house if I had no other size shot to use.. However, I dont see the logic in stacking up different rounds from a defensive point of view.
The more I ponder that, the less sense it makes. You don't get to choreograph your attack scenario. I think what I'll do is arm my oldest son with the no 5 and keep my 870 full of 00 buckshot. That way he and my wife can handle the lower recoil. Also we can practice with that no 5 shot and not use up the buckshot and slugs. I really appreciate y'all's responses.

I don't want to get shot. I wouldn't want to get shot with a 22,let alone a 7 1/2 shotgun shell. I would think that a threat would see a shotgun and not even question what you have loaded and seek out an exit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Paul Harrell has a good a good YouTube video on shooting bird shot for self defense. Looks pretty effective to me, albeit not as good as buckshot. But it’s certainly better than trying to club an intruder with your shotgun.

I think you’re right on to keep your gun loaded with your buckshot and use the #5 for backup. Hopefully you’ll be able to stock up on 00 before you have to use it. Reduced recoil buckshot might be good for your wife and son, if you can find some.

Paul Harrell has a good a good YouTube video on shooting bird shot for self defense. Looks pretty effective to me, albeit not as good as buckshot. But it’s certainly better than trying to club an intruder with your shotgun.

I think you’re right on to keep your gun loaded with your buckshot and use the #5 for backup. Hopefully you’ll be able to stock up on 00 before you have to use it. Reduced recoil buckshot might be good for your wife and son, if you can find some.
Very fortunate to be sitting on enough of each to get me through an incredibly difficult time.

Top Bottom