What's new

5 Pack Arrow Lab Blues vs 100 pack of Lab blues in white paper

So after Maggards completely screwed me over by sending me 100 of the 5 packs of labs instead of my usual go-to box of 100 personna blues I decided to conduct a test. These blades are labeled by every major purveyor of shaving goods as being the same. However after weeks of shaving with both i gotta say the ones in the white plastic packaging are vastly inferior to my skin. Either personnas packaging is so confusing that even the retailers don't know how to distinguish between them or personnas extra processing of these blades in Mexico does something to dull the edges. My experience isn't gospel but there is a consistent and noticeable different in sharpness that the 5 pack loses out on every time i compare them. If you ever decided to try Personna Lab Blues via the 5 pack and decided they weren't for you, try one from a box. Almost guarantee it'll be better. Also this is a double post as I also posted my experience on Wicked Edge. But after combing through the internet for similar experiences and/or tests conducted i didnt find much. What is yalls experience with these two variations of allegedly the same blade?

-Seth

I bought a 5 pack of them in the plastic dispenser from Maggard's awhile back and hated them. My wife hated them too. To me they weren't very sharp and they were very uncomfortable to use so I can relate to your sentiment.

I bought a 5 pack of them in the plastic dispenser from Maggard's awhile back and hated them. My wife hated them too. To me they weren't very sharp and they were very uncomfortable to use so I can relate to your sentiment.
how do you feel about normal Lab Blues though? That come in a tuck of 100?

I got a 100-pack of the Med Preps when they were on sale with free shipping, because I knew for sure what I would be getting. The Med Preps last a long time and are definitely made in Virginia.

Lab Blues in the white wrapper work very good for me. I get X7 close shaves from each blade. I have no experience with the other blades. I would contact Maggard & demand the white paper Lab Blues.

Lab Blues in the white wrapper work very good for me. I get X7 close shaves from each blade. I have no experience with the other blades. I would contact Maggard & demand the white paper Lab Blues.

+1! I would ’ask nicely’ and see what happens. I predict that they don’t want to risk losing a customer.

My experience is mainly with the 100 blade paper packaging, like the fine blade I used this AM!!

Honestly I'm not too intent on getting my money back or an exchange. Firstly because they mislabeled how many 100 packs they had in stock and so were forced to send me 100 blades in the format of individual tucks of blades. And secondly cause I think I paid maybe 13 dollars for 100 of them. Im just gonna pif them. Im not too vexed by it. I just want to see if anyone's experiences mirror my own with the comparison between these two allegedly identical blades :)

Hi,

Lab Blues from Verona are in blue wrappers with Personna printed all over them in white. Just like the Med Preps. Although the Med Preps have different printing on the blades themselves. I have never seen Verona Lab Blues in other than the blue wrappers, and I have been using them since the late 80s.....

I don't know what is in the white wrappers or where they were made. Personna is confusing at best! ;)

Right now, I am using Med Preps as Verona changed the outer box again for the last time I was buying blades. They confused me (also again) so I grabbed the more costly Med Preps to ensure I was getting blades out of Verona.

Stan

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I bought 100 Lab Blues off of Amazon a while back. Came in a box marked Made in USA (with small flag) - Comfort Coated. They're all wrapped in plain white paper inside the box. I find them to be excellent blades. Used one in a slant razor this morning.

I bought 100 Lab Blues off of Amazon a while back. Came in a box marked Made in USA (with small flag) - Comfort Coated. They're all wrapped in plain white paper inside the box. I find them to be excellent blades. Used one in a slant razor this morning.
I love the ones in the box, however if you go online and look up "lab blues 5 pack" you'll see that they have different etchings, packaging, and are processed in Mexico after being produced in the USA. These particular variants of lab blues perform extremely poorly for me for reasons outside of my comprehension. Doesnt seem like many people have tried anything less than the 100 pack, which makes sense because it is a blade designed for the lab and meant to be bought in bulk...still perplexing.

I love the ones in the box, however if you go online and look up "lab blues 5 pack" you'll see that they have different etchings, packaging, and are processed in Mexico after being produced in the USA. These particular variants of lab blues perform extremely poorly for me for reasons outside of my comprehension. Doesnt seem like many people have tried anything less than the 100 pack, which makes sense because it is a blade designed for the lab and meant to be bought in bulk...still perplexing.
Those might be the barber blades, which are not the same as the "Lab Blues". Lab Blue is not actually a name used by Personna, so it is difficult to know what you are buying.

If the blades are really "Lab Blues" they will be made by Accutec, not Edgewell.

Last edited:
I have both the plastic dispenser and the boxes. The plastic dispensers are different. I've heard them referred to as Personna "Barber" blades. I believe they are inferior as well, but YMMV.

Honestly I'm not too intent on getting my money back or an exchange. Firstly because they mislabeled how many 100 packs they had in stock and so were forced to send me 100 blades in the format of individual tucks of blades. And secondly cause I think I paid maybe 13 dollars for 100 of them. Im just gonna pif them. Im not too vexed by it. I just want to see if anyone's experiences mirror my own with the comparison between these two allegedly identical blades :)
After saying how you were " completely screwed over " by Maggards on more than one forum, you didn't give them a chance to make it right. Now you're not "too vexed by it". Seems like a pretty unfair attack without giving them any opportunity to fix your complaint.

Hi,

When I began using Personna blades, it was back in the 1980s after the Gillette and Schick blades disappeared from the drug stores. No more DE blades to be found. Except in the hospital. At that point, I went to the local surgical supply and they had both Med Preps and Laboratory blades.

They were the same blade except the Med Preps were treated to an additional washing step in the factory so the blades were then ready for the autoclave. The Lab blades didn't get that. And, the Lab blades were half the cost. In 100 blade boxes in a 10 box carton in a 10 carton case. The carton packaging looked just like cigarettes.

The packaging then was the Med Preps were in a white box with blue lettering and the Lab blades were in a blue box with white lettering. Hence the name Lab Blues, which isn't what Personna used for a name. They used For Hospital Use and For Laboratory Use.

But Lab blades in a Blue box gave them a more commonly used name.

Stan

After saying how you were " completely screwed over " by Maggards on more than one forum, you didn't give them a chance to make it right. Now you're not "too vexed by it". Seems like a pretty unfair attack without giving them any opportunity to fix your complaint.
Fair. But seriously I just wanted to discuss the blades. I emailed maggards several times with no response. Im not obligated to protect their reputations lol

My understanding is the arrow blades are the "barber version" of the lab blues.
Normally sold at sally's. They say comfort coated but they aren't the same.

My understanding is the arrow blades are the "barber version" of the lab blues.
Normally sold at sally's. They say comfort coated but they aren't the same.
So I guess my question is why would these vendors sell them with the same "lab blue" title? Maybe they are just as confused

So I guess my question is why would these vendors sell them with the same "lab blue" title? Maybe they are just as confused
Lab Blue is not an official product name. It's just a nickname people use.

If blades are really "Lab Blues" they will be made by Accutec in the USA . Not made by Edgewell in Europe, Mexico or elsewhere.

Hi,

And, the Lab Blue packaging has had several changes since it was a blue box with white lettering. I have found it confusing more than once myself. Now they have pics on the Accutech site and so I'd go there first to eyeball what it happens to be Now, and go from there with the supplier sites.

I can't say as I'd ever fault a supplier for also being all confused when it comes to Personna blades. ;)

And, they changed the Med Prep packaging as well. No more white box with blue lettering.

Stan

Top Bottom