What's new

5 New Aftershaves for the Den!

I feel like in the last few years, I went deep down the Soap Rabbit Hole and focused all my attention on finding the best possible shave soap out there. That said, I never got around to trying a wide variety of Aftershave Splashes! Well, in the last couple months I've ordered up a 5 new ones to try! Here's my quick take on each if any one is interested:

Floid Black
I had previously tried a sample from Maggards and loved it... somewhat similar scent to Creed Aventus. My Wife loves it too so that's a nice plus (she usually hates 90% of the AS I drag home). Leaves the skin feeling great! A pretty modern scent that is a nice change from the other old school/old man scented Floid offerings.

Lucky Tiger Tonic
Yes, the scent fades almost instantly, but its loaded with lot of great ingredients for your skin. It's also dirt cheap at like $12 for 8 ounces. I will probably use this after every shave moving forward as a toner prior to using an Aftershave. I can't believe I haven't tried this sooner! It's a must buy.

La Toja
I'm a huge fan of their shave stick, so had to try the splash. It comes in a large 200ml bottle and smells nice. It was somewhat hard to to track down, but SmallFlower.com has it. I also got the balm which is super nice (and I'm typically not a balm guy!).

Apparently this has been made for over 200 years in Germany. Napoleon and JFK sported this stuff. Sounded interesting so I had to try it. It has a sweet/fruity, yet somehow manly scent that is very unique. The scent doesn't stick around long and I do find it somewhat drying on the skin. But its pretty nice stuff and has a certain unexplainable mystique therefore it will be a permanent fixture in my small den.

Musgo Real Classic
Pretty expensive stuff, but I found a new bottle + a bottle of the matching balm on one of the shave forums pretty cheap so figured I'd try it! For some reason the splash smells different from the balm. But I seriously love the scent of the splash. Could be my favorite scent ever to be honest. It has the perfect blend patchouli and vetiver, that dries down to reveal a very light amber/musk scent. Incredible scent and performance!

I am familiar with the 4711 and the Musgo Real. The 4711 aftershave starts citrusy and a bit fruity, turns woody eventually, feels great going on and leaves your skin in good shape, a reason the 4711 has been around for centuries. The Musgo Real Classic is mostly green and woody, the patchouli and vetiver in this are wonderful. Claus Porto, the maker of Musgo Real, has long been the supplier of grooming essentials for the royal court of Portugal, so it is top-drawer stuff. The other three lotions you selected have good reputations and are well thought of in wet shaving circles. You made a nice haul. No doubt your selections will serve you well, and make you feel better groomed than others around you. You are one classy dude!

Gotta’ love the 4711! Perfect for a date in late spring, early summer.
Just don’t wear it if you’re planning on dating a German girl.
She’ll tell ya’ you smell like her grandmothers’ purse!

Top Bottom