What's new

5 Must-Have Teas for the Beginner

I've made my list and I have some extra cash - I'm finally going to join the tea movement. :tongue:

Thanks for all the responses.

I started with a series of sampler packs from Specialteas: Fine Tea sampler, best sellers sampler, oolong sampler, green tea sampler, just to get a taste of what I liked. To each order, I was able to add a small sample of another kind of tea. In the end, my favorite leaf turned out to be none of the ones I had sampled: on a whim, I picked up a few ounces of Margaret's Hope 2nd Flush Darjeeling, and that was the one that clicked for me.

I still enjoy the green teas at work in the afternoon, particularly gunpowder, and the genmaicha (tea with toasted rice, mentioned earlier).

I think it's a good idea to try a lot of different teas before settling on one...and definitely do pay attention to steeping instructions. My first few cups of green tea were very bitter because I burned them on the boiling water out of the office cooler, and then I steeped them for 3-4 mins as if they were a hearty Assam. Awful stuff. I almost threw my entire green tea sampler pack on the counter in the office for anyone to take, before realizing my blunder. Needless to say, they tasted much, much better when brewed at a lower temp for a much shorter period of time!

Good luck, but as has been said a few times before, say goodbye to the ease and convenience of the free Lipton bags in the office kitchen. You'll never drink that stuff again. :tongue_sm

I'm going to get a few sample packs first. That way, when I order some of the suggested teas, I can add things that I've already tried and liked to my order. Thanks for the info everyone.

I have some nice Pu-erh available. My first order just arrived from China. My second order should arrive in the next 4-6 weeks. Let me know if you are interested.

Top Bottom