What's new

5 Favorite Scented Soaps & A/S Combos - Try to Narrow it Down

It's not like this hasn't been done before, but why not another fav list for 2021? This is for Scents. Slickness, post-shave feel, easy lathering, etc. are all secondary. Here's currently mine:
1. Stirling Iced Pineapple (Executive Man sneaks in here as well as about the same thing without the menthol) - Great Aventus clone smell on the cheap
2. WSP Tobacco - Love, love, love this stuff. Was my first entrance into tobacco scented and turns out it was also the best
3. Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli - Talk about perfectly combining scents. I don't know if I could ever tire of smelling this
4. Catie's Bubbles Le Piment de la Vie, LPV for short - Wish I'd discovered this one sooner, saved me a bunch of experimenting. Super great spice cologne scent
5. Stirling Varen - Hunted for a certain classic fougere scent and finally found it with this one. Since have found 3 or 4 others similar, but this one holds that special place in my heart

Next level down but not by much: Razorock Zi' Peppino and Razorock Don Marco - Tobacco and Bergamot/Neroli scents respectively

1. B&M Hallows
2. B&M Seville
3.Fine Platinum
4. B&M Fougere Angelique
5. SV Desert Vetiver
6. SV Opuntia
7. SV Cubebe

I could only narrow it down to 7.

1. Noble Otter - The Noir Et Vanille
2. Zingariman - The Wanderer
3. Stirling - Deep Blue Sea
4. Moon Soaps - Havana
5. Stirling - Haverford

All you guys must be burnt out on favorites lists?
It's not that for me. I'm just not chasing scents and artisans. I'm using mostly hard milled soaps with pleasant, mild scents. The scent washes away and then you can use most any aftershave you like.

Respectfully, I find it rather pointless to rate a soap excluding its performance characteristics.

I am all for scent, but if it's a poor soap, I won't use it. EVER. Conversely, it can be the greatest performing soap ever made, but if I don't like the scent, I won't bother.

That said, as I mentioned in another post - all I could possibly ever need boils down to this:

SV Opuntia
SV Desert Vetiver
A&E The Undersea
Cella Extra Bio (green)
Stirling Bay Rum

Each matched with accompanying A/S splash or balm.

I hear you guys on the scents fading away and the performance of a soap being tantamount. I guess I found out about myself that scent is equally important, if not more. Just a personal thing.

Last edited:
I hear you guys on the scents fading away and the performance of a soap being tantamount. I guess I find out about myself that scent is equally important, if not more. Just a personal thing.
Fortunately, today's artisans make fantastic soaps that smell great, so no need to sacrifice performance for scent, or vice versa.

Me, I decided some time ago I will settle for nothing less than phenomenal when it comes to my shaving gear. Good won't cut it, very nice won't cut it, only state-of-the-art will do it for me, be it soap or razor.

So, with soaps I won't BOTH outstanding performance and out-of-this-world scent, nothing less.

Last edited:

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
PannaCrema’s
Blu; Rosso; Verde & Nero soaps and AS balms.

Tabula Rasa’s
Erik Korman-scented, Dezember soap & matching eau de toilette ... which is applied after (I) shave.

1) Noble Otter - Monarch

2-3tie) SV - Felce Aromatica

2-3tie) Henri Et Victoria - Cognac and Cuban Cigars

4-5tie) Zingari Wanderer/Maggards London Barbershop (same scent)

4-5tie) Barrister and Mann - Seville

Fortunately, today's artisans make fantastic soaps that smell great, so no need to sacrifice performance for scent, or vice versa.

Me, I decided some time ago I will settle for nothing less than phenomenal when it comes to my shaving gear. Good won't cut it, very nice won't cut it, only state-of-the-art will do it for me, be it soap or razor.

So, with soaps I won't BOTH outstanding performance and out-of-this-world scent, nothing less.
I've been looking for a woman with those qualities, not having any luck though!

- Barrister and Mann Bay Rum.
- Shannon's Soaps Pineapple Banana.
- Ogallala Bay Rum.
- Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic.
- Oleo Soapworks Treviso.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Scent only...Gotcha!

1) PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
2) Seaforth! Spiced!
3) Zingari Man The Wanderer
4) Goodfellas' Smile Abysso
5) Barrister and Mann Reserve Spice

Honorable mentions: Chiseled Face Bay Rum and Barrister and Mann Bay Rum (which I'm now out of...sabbatical hell.)

What amazes me is...so many threads like this...but my top five keep changing. Some stay, but some get bumped.

- Barrister and Mann Bay Rum.
- Shannon's Soaps Pineapple Banana.
- Ogallala Bay Rum.
- Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic.
- Oleo Soapworks Treviso.
I'm not too keen on the Bay Rum stuff but the MITA, I definitely should've included that on my original list

My dear friend ... Bay Rum can be a delight to your nose and senses, although it depends on how heavy clove or other spices can be included.

There are bay rum soaps more fruity oriented, even more "soft" bay rum scents.

Top Bottom