What's new

5/8 vs 6/8?

What are the benefits/differences in going with a 6/8 versus a 5/8 straight razor?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

For me, it is easier to get the appropriate angle when shaving or stropping with the 6/8. It makes no difference getting into tight places, like under the nose. YMMV. Obviously, the wider blade holds more whiskers & lather before having to be wiped (on a Chimensch sponge) or rinsed (and possibly dinged) under a faucet. There isn't a great deal of difference, and I would buy a 5/8 razor I liked, but given the choice, I prefer the 6/8.

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
.... I would buy a 5/8 razor I liked, but given the choice, I prefer the 6/8.

I agree on this point for sure. One of my all time favorite razors was a 5/8 Thiers Issard Super "Gnome" however 6/8 is what I have gotten used to as a daily driver and it is what I would seek out when purchasing another razor in the future.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
:lol: the "Chimensch sponge" :lol:

Yes, a 6/8 is easier to start with, better feedback, easier to find the angle. A 5/8 should be easier to go around and do precision.

The difference between a 6/8 and 5/8 isn't that much, it's only 1/8... At the end of the day, 6/8 works best for me than 5/8.

And yes, YMMV

Top Bottom