What's new

4th DE Shave...Thanks!

Quick back story, I've been using a cartridge razor for 20 of my 35 years. Most recently I've been using Harry's products, but came across the following razor The Plow as part of a package deal. Needless to say, since it was deeply discounted I went for it. The first few shaves were rough on my neck, and I nicked myself more than ever before. Then a few people from another forum I frequent (nothing to do with shaving) were talking about DE razors and I began to take heed of their advice. Long story short, they said to come here and so I did.

Presently I just wrapped up my 4th shave with a DE razor. While I know "The Plow" isn't regarded probably at all, I managed to get a comfortable shave with no razor burn and no nicks this time. I followed the pre-shave prep using a pre-shave oil, warm water, getting better at making a lather with my col conk shave soap and used little to no pressure and focused shaving WTG. I followed up with some Ogalla Bay Rum and I feel like I just left the barber!

I get it now, can't wait to continue to refine my technique with both lather formation, shaving, etc. I have a Merker 34c with a blade sampler pack sitting in the cabinet, not sure if I should just jump into a higher quality razor/blade or practice with the entry level equipment first. By the way the blades for "The Plow" have literally no markings so I'm not sure who the OEM is.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors for the wealth of knowledge I was able to pick up over the last two days of browsing!

-Pete

Welcome aboard! The 34C is an excellent razor and you’ll be pleased with it. If it were me I’d jump to that soon. But some good advice, separately, is to pick a setup and stick with it while you hone your skills. Good luck!

If in your position, I'd switch to the Merkur and stay with that for a while.

I used my Merkur exclusively for my first 5 years of DE shaving, and I'm glad I did.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B! I have never heard of the Plow, but many here have started with the 34C and it is a well respected razor.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
designed to cut aT skin level
The Plow doesn’t cut below the skin level which may lead to razor bumps and irritation.

The “plow’’.

From manscaped.com

Welcome to B&B.
I have a Merker 34c with a blade sampler pack sitting in the cabinet, not sure if I should just jump into a higher quality razor/blade or practice with the entry level equipment first. By the way the blades for "The Plow" have literally no markings so I'm not sure who the OEM is.
The Plow is a chinese made clone similar to the Tech so I expect the blades are also made in China. If it shaves okay and loads the blade consistently, stay with it whilst you work on your technique. By all means try a sample pack of blades in search of your preferred blade but you can use that razor in your travel kit.
Personally I would switch to the Merkur 34C after a month and then see how that performs. Your technique should be much better by then.

@Invicta I figured as much with "The Plow," I'll stick with it to practice and switch to the real deal in a month. I like the idea of using it as a travel razor, thanks!

5th shave in the books, I promise I won't update with every shave lol. I'm still using the same DE razor and blades, might as well use them up before I jump into the Merkur. I'm using Col Conk bay rum and Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave and I'm in love with the scent! Reminds me of my old barber shop and my face has never felt so good. I followed some direction and started washing my face and moisturizing daily.

I find myself wishing my facial hair would grow faster now as I'm only needing to shave every 3-4 days. I guess it gives me something to truly look forward to every time I need to shave. The experience has been quite enjoyable and I'm afraid I have found another addictive hobby to go along with cigars, fine kitchen cutlery, craft beer, and firearms...

Cheers!

Ok, well maybe this thread will simply be a diary to myself since I'm posting about my 6th shave. I've been watching videos from a YouTube shaver named PaulHFilms and decided since I was feeling lucky today, I would give his technique a try. I must preface with the fact that I'm focusing on using the same equipment during this initial learning period as many here have suggested.

Today I strayed away from my beginner two passes with the grain and went with the following...
  1. WTG
  2. XTG
  3. ATG
  4. WTG for a final clean up
Prior to shaving I did shower and then apply pre-shave oil to my whiskers. I really focused on light pressure, the angle and how the blade felt / sounded. I turned my exhaust fan off so I could hear the audible feedback and that seemed to help a great deal. I only ran into one issue, which I'm sure is purely technique based. During the ATG pass, I was experiencing a great deal of tugging on the whiskers above my upper lip. When everything was said and done, I had one super tiny nick in the same area I was feeling the tugging. Other than that, the shave is my smoothest yet. I followed the shave up with a cold water rinse, then rubbed some Thayer's Witch Hazel, Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave and finally some Harry's Face Lotion.

What a shave is all I can say! This cheap chinese DE razor and no name blades are starting to work for me. I can't wait to to see what will happen when I eventually switch to the Merker 34C and some good blades.

proxy.php

Ok, well maybe this thread will simply be a diary to myself since I'm posting about my 6th shave. I've been watching videos from a YouTube shaver named PaulHFilms and decided since I was feeling lucky today, I would give his technique a try. I must preface with the fact that I'm focusing on using the same equipment during this initial learning period as many here have suggested.

Today I strayed away from my beginner two passes with the grain and went with the following...
  1. WTG
  2. XTG
  3. ATG
  4. WTG for a final clean up
Prior to shaving I did shower and then apply pre-shave oil to my whiskers. I really focused on light pressure, the angle and how the blade felt / sounded. I turned my exhaust fan off so I could hear the audible feedback and that seemed to help a great deal. I only ran into one issue, which I'm sure is purely technique based. During the ATG pass, I was experiencing a great deal of tugging on the whiskers above my upper lip. When everything was said and done, I had one super tiny nick in the same area I was feeling the tugging. Other than that, the shave is my smoothest yet. I followed the shave up with a cold water rinse, then rubbed some Thayer's Witch Hazel, Ogallala Bay Rum aftershave and finally some Harry's Face Lotion.

What a shave is all I can say! This cheap chinese DE razor and no name blades are starting to work for me. I can't wait to to see what will happen when I eventually switch to the Merker 34C and some good blades.

proxy.php

Nice!!! It's always a good thing to see results that don't include blood!

Welcome! I echo the recommendation to get a blade sampler. I had a good experience with tryablade.com recently.

Also, i started with the 34C about 10 years ago. It is a solid choice for beginners or veterans alike. I now only use vintage razors and have 35 in my collection at present (another potential addictive hobby for you). :thumbup:

Welcome! I've enjoyed reading your accounts & I must congratulate you on your wanting to stick with the same products to begin learning the proper technique. Many on this site, myself included, call that a Fixed 4, using the same brush, soap/cream, razor, & brand of blade for 4 weeks. You're getting great results already, & it keeps getting better. The only downside I've found to this wonderful pastime of ours, & you mentioned it already, is my facial hair doesn't grow fast enough to require more than one shave per day!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome! I've enjoyed reading your accounts & I must congratulate you on your wanting to stick with the same products to begin learning the proper technique. Many on this site, myself included, call that a Fixed 4, using the same brush, soap/cream, razor, & brand of blade for 4 weeks. You're getting great results already, & it keeps getting better. The only downside I've found to this wonderful pastime of ours, & you mentioned it already, is my facial hair doesn't grow fast enough to require more than one shave per day!
+1.

Welcome aboard. DE shaving is a fun hobby. I've never heard of The Plow razor, but I can tell you that the Merkur 34c you have is a great razor. I bet you'll find you like it better once you start using it. Best of luck trying to stay away from RAD, GAS, etc.

Top Bottom