What's new

49 and 50

Christmas presents to someone long ago I'm sure, here's two very nice Executives I recently picked up, both with perfect mirror cases :)
I love the look of these rhodium razors, and would enjoy seeing other Executives any other members may have

Last edited:
Not nearly as pretty, but the price was right :thumbup1: Working on a replacement mirror...
$100_1661.jpg

Wow! Amazing razors! 1949 is my birth year and I've been looking for a 1949 razor but don't understand how to identify one since date codes didn't start until 1950. Also, this is the first time I've encountered the Executive model. It's not mentioned at all in the date chart I found in Wiki. I'd love to have some more info -- can you help?

Cool ads! thanks Dan! is there a way to distinguish a 1949 razor from other years? I need to find a history of the Executive but don't know where to look. Just Google it?

Cool ads! thanks Dan! is there a way to distinguish a 1949 razor from other years? I need to find a history of the Executive but don't know where to look. Just Google it?
This has been discussed in the link below but I think the consensus is you need the foil packs and front dispenser to make a determination. The 49 came with the all foil packs w black lettering and cream dispenser; the 50 had the Gillette blue dispenser printed on the foil as shown above and a blue dispenser up front. Notice how it says it's a 49 though. Is it a 49 w 50 foil packs or a 50 with the wrong front dispenser? Ha.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...9-Executive-Question?highlight=1949+executive

Last edited:
Here's my '49 Set I got for $24 when I first started wet shaving. Still has a pack of Sealed Blades under mirror.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 54
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 54
Wow! I had no idea so much energy, interest and expertise was focused on this issue! After reading this thread and the linked ones as well, I am once again gobsmacked (as our British friends would say!) at the knowledge of the history and the details of our hobby that exists among our membership! My hat is off to you gentlemen! And many thanks for sharing!

Think of this. 10 bucks to them was 30 that we spend on Gillette today :p.
99 cents for a pack of 10 blades, 59 cents for shave cream...
Considering our average income was around 6-7k, that's comparatively a LOT of dough.

Top Bottom