What's new

'48-'50 Super Speed

So I just had my first shave with my new 40's style super speed (notched with no date code). Comparing it with the '56 flare tip and the black handle '73 that I have, I found it a tad more aggressive with more blade-feel. I thought it would be more mild. Granted, this is one shave with my go to sharp star blade. I liked it, but not quite what I expected. Is this the one people often prefer? What has been your experience?

I had the same feeling when I got mine. Suggest that you for your next razor try the British Super-Speed cousins: The Rockets, I find them much smoother, sturdier and better built.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I think every vintage Gillette razor has its fans, but, yes, many guys prefer the 40's-style SS to the models that came later. My understanding is that each version of the SS became progressively milder, with the exception of the Red Tip and Blue Tip which were part of a three-tiered system. If you like how the '48-'50 shaves, it might be worth your while to track down an unnotched '47 or a Ranger Tech, which are just as smooth and touch more efficient.

I find the 40s style super speed to be the best of the super speed series. It has the right amount of aggression and a nice balance. It’s a great little razor.

I think every vintage Gillette razor has its fans, but, yes, many guys prefer the 40's-style SS to the models that came later. My understanding is that each version of the SS became progressively milder, with the exception of the Red Tip and Blue Tip which were part of a three-tiered system. If you like how the '48-'50 shaves, it might be worth your while to track down an unnotched '47 or a Ranger Tech, which are just as smooth and touch more efficient.

When they discontinued the red and blue tips Gillette changed the head geometry on the standard flare tip and made the next iteration i.e. the 60s style flare tips more aggressive than their 50s counterpart but not as aggressive as the red tips then they went even milder than the 50s flare tips once they switched over to the black handle models.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
When they discontinued the red and blue tips Gillette changed the head geometry on the standard flare tip and made the next iteration i.e. the 60s style flare tips more aggressive than their 50s counterpart but not as aggressive as the red tips then they went even milder than the 50s flare tips once they switched over to the black handle models.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

The kicker though is they really aren't much if any better of a shave than the less aggressive 50s flare tip. I spent a few months shaving with every known variation on the super speeds except for the Milord Rocket and that was the conclusion I came to as far as the quality of the overall result of the shave between those 2.

So I just had my first shave with my new 40's style super speed (notched with no date code). Comparing it with the '56 flare tip and the black handle '73 that I have, I found it a tad more aggressive with more blade-feel. I thought it would be more mild. Granted, this is one shave with my go to sharp star blade. I liked it, but not quite what I expected. Is this the one people often prefer? What has been your experience?

my experience with this razors is the same as the aggressiveness of each razor in comparison to the others. The 58 TV special as far as I can tell is the same razor as the 40s style super speed. My theory is they took the leftover base plates they had in stock from the 40s style super speeds and used them on 58 TV Special since it would have been easy to get rid of them on a 1 off without compromising their existing razors performance.

So are you saying that the classic flare tip from the 50s is different in the 60s even though they look identical? My google search for 60s flare tip looks exactly like my 50's. But the 60's date code is slightly more aggressive? Or am I getting that wrong?

So are you saying that the classic flare tip from the 50s is different in the 60s even though they look identical? My google search for 60s flare tip looks exactly like my 50's. But the 60's date code is slightly more aggressive? Or am I getting that wrong?

They don't look identical, the TTO flare tip knobs are different for starters.
The one on the left is a 50s style, the one on the right is a 60s style.
ss50s.jpg ss60s.jpg

I appreciate you calling attention to that. I would have totally missed it. That 60s version is probably gonna be my next razor then!

The time frames for the 50s and 60s style was the following.

50s style flare tip were made from 54 - 60
60s style flare tip were made from 60 - 66

There is an overlap of 50s and 60s from F1 through at least F3 date codes that I've seen both styles.

There are also 2 variations on the 60s style, the same changes were also applied to other Gillette razors like the Slim Adjustable. You can see the change on the lifter door tabs and head profiles.
60sd.jpg

I find them to be too mild and, therefore, not particularly efficient. I did get one brilliant shave with mine once and I've been chasing it again ever since. Definitely needs a really sharp blade.

Top Bottom