What's new

4711 "flankers"

I notice that Fragrance Net seems to suddenly have a bunch of scents by 4711 apart from the original 4711. I remember long ago trying to find these in the States but not being able to. Does anyone have any experience with/thoughts about them?

I am particularly interested in the Jasmine as I would love to find a good masculine jasmine. Most jasmines seem to blend jasmine with rather sweet florals. Also, I am always on the look out for a good lavender. I do not know if this line has one.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Never heard or seen the "others", I know only the 4711 Original too good....personally I do not care for it. When I was a kid, both the grandmas and my mom always had a little bottle of 4711 and some hankies in their purses....you as a kid got a booboo, or a little schmutz on you, out came the hanky and 4711 was sprinkled on and right it goes over your face, nose, mouth etc...Maybe there is some kind of post-traumatic 4711 stress syndrome...

Thanks for the background, Rudy. I am guessing the second scent I ever owned was 4711, after English Leather. I like the scent well enough, but do not need to ever smell it again, even though it is not associated with any trauma in my life! Also, the original seems to have zero legs.

I guess I need to get out more. These flankers now seem to be available through Amazon. I did not like some of the reviews. Most, for the jasmine, said it was fleeting. Some seems to say it was the original formula plus some jasmine. I can deal with fleeting. That I expect from 4711. I do not need a slight variation on the original!

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I went through the "half-gallon booze bottle" of the stuff. With glycerin added, it's a fine-burning aftershave.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Fine-burning" or "fire-burning"? Things not formulated to be aftershaves, various all purpose liquids, such as Florida Water, can be mighty "hot"!

I went ahead and ordered the 4711 Jasmine. I will report back.

Yes, I love hot. Florida Water with glycerin is another excellent example. Scorch those bugs right off your face! :bayrum2:

AA

Never heard or seen the "others", I know only the 4711 Original too good....personally I do not care for it. When I was a kid, both the grandmas and my mom always had a little bottle of 4711 and some hankies in their purses....you as a kid got a booboo, or a little schmutz on you, out came the hanky and 4711 was sprinkled on and right it goes over your face, nose, mouth etc...Maybe there is some kind of post-traumatic 4711 stress syndrome...
although i was born in the Netherlands I have a German mother / grandmother / aunts myself - I known what you mean. I will never be able to see 4711 apart from that memories 😄

The 4711 Floral Collection Jasmine arrived today. I do not know yet. I like the jasmine note, but it seems surrounded by rather strong, sweet florals. Quality seems good and so far it seems much stronger and more tenacious than the standard 4711. So far this is not a light, fresh scent to my nose.

I do not necessarily make a big distinction between feminine and masculine scents, but I have a small decant of some Creed jasmine scent that has a wonderful jasmine note, but that is otherwise just too sweet and floral for my tastes. This one may or may not go that way.

Maybe my wife will like it, if I do not.

I am wearing this 4711 Jasmine, today. I would say the jury is still out for me because of the sweet floral notes, but the jasmine notes are strong and nice. I guess I would say that the floral recedes a bit in relation to the jasmine on dry down, but is still high in the mix. Unlike regular old 4711, no tenacity problems with this one.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Late to the party...I have the relatively new 4711 Intense Colonia Wakening Woods of Scandinavia. A brilliant clean, woody, green scent. Lasts surprisingly long, too. Been wearing it 3 or 4 times a week since the weather began to cool.

4711 Portugal is a nice flanker. Instead of the lemon you get more of an orange hint. Not too cloying or sweet either. I like it. Was able to pick up a bottle while in Tokyo. So not sure about stateside availability.

4711 Portugal is a nice flanker. Instead of the lemon you get more of an orange hint. Not too cloying or sweet either. I like it. Was able to pick up a bottle while in Tokyo. So not sure about stateside availability.
I love it. Last I knew not available in the States at all. A real eau de Portugal. A classic style of scent!

I notice that Fragrance Net seems to suddenly have a bunch of scents by 4711 apart from the original 4711. I remember long ago trying to find these in the States but not being able to. Does anyone have any experience with/thoughts about them?

I am particularly interested in the Jasmine as I would love to find a good masculine jasmine. Most jasmines seem to blend jasmine with rather sweet florals. Also, I am always on the look out for a good lavender. I do not know if this line has one.
They are overrated IMHO. I gave my mom a 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2018 and a bottle of 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2023. She likes them but I don't like them. They smell okay-ish. The original 4711 smells damn great and I freaking love it, it is a summer scent but it doesn't last long. 800ml for 35 euro isn't expensive so in the summer I always keep a small spray bottle in my pocket. I forgot which one but there is a fragrance made by Tom Ford which smells exactly the same as the original 4711 I'm not sure how the performance of this fragrance is.

They are overrated IMHO. I gave my mom a 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2018 and a bottle of 4711 Remix Cologne Edition 2023. She likes them but I don't like them. They smell okay-ish. The original 4711 smells damn great and I freaking love it, it is a summer scent but it doesn't last long. 800ml for 35 euro isn't expensive so in the summer I always keep a small spray bottle in my pocket. I forgot which one but there is a fragrance made by Tom Ford which smells exactly the same as the original 4711 I'm not sure how the performance of this fragrance is.
I went ahead and got a bottle of the 4711 Jasmine. it is okay, but not really the jasmine I was looking for. I really like the 4711 Portugal, as I recall, at least the cologne and after shave expressions. I do not know about the edt version, and I think there is one. A very good version of a classic eau de Portugal to my nose. Orange/neroli and I suspect some other elements. Reasonable strength and tenacity. especially for what is essentially a citrus scent.

I like the regular 4711 scent, but to me it is too ephemeral to bother with. I suppose I also find the scent a bit outdated or I have simply smelled it too often over the decades. I think I had my first bottle of it when early in high school. Props to a true classic, though.

Interesting that Tom Ford has a scent very close the the original 4711. I guess I would consider strength and tenacity virtually house "notes" ("elements," perhaps) for Tom Ford scents--not always a good thing to me!--so I would guess it has much more strength and tenacity that does the original 4711. Let me know if you think of the name of the Tom Ford scent. Tom Ford is not my favorite house, but some of his scents are absolute home runs to me. I guess I do find that Tom Ford making a scent that smells like 4711, if he is selling it for usual Tom Ford prices, to exhibit a certain sense of humor!

Let me know if you think of the name of the Tom Ford scent.
Apparently the Tom Ford scent is Neroli Portofino. I am not sure I have ever smelled this one. My impression is that it is popular. I did not know that it was based on 4711, but the internet seems to say so. I guess my thinking had been that I did not need Tom Ford's version of a sort of standard Italian acqua di colonia, or the many similar neroli heavy scents. Interesting.

Apparently the Tom Ford scent is Neroli Portofino. I am not sure I have ever smelled this one. My impression is that it is popular. I did not know that it was based on 4711, but the internet seems to say so. I guess my thinking had been that I did not need Tom Ford's version of a sort of standard Italian acqua di colonia, or the many similar neroli heavy scents. Interesting.
Yeah that's the one, when I smelled it it smells exactly the same as the original 4711. I didn't test it out but it really would suck if it has the same longevity as 4711 because it is an expensive fragnance.

I didn't test it out but it really would suck if it has the same longevity as 4711 because it is an expensive fragrance.
I did not look at any on-line reviews, but knowing Tom Ford scents, I would be surprised if it weren't potent. To me the original 4711 has such a low tenacity as to be useless as a scent to wear. Although for my purposes, something that smells like 4711 only stronger/more tenacious is not really what I am looking for in a scent. Seems kind of dated, I suppose. I suppose a similar acting scent one does not hear much about these days is Hoyt's. Very nice orange/neroli scent with no staying power at all. I do like scents similar to that one with more legs. I suppose Florida Water, at least the M&L version, has similar attributes as to very little tenacity For that one, I love the way it smells, but I do not want to smell like myself.

I have mixed feelings about Tom Ford scents. Tom Ford is a great perfumer. I consider his scents overpriced. But at least he provides scents with strength and longevity for all those dollars! I really do not think the ingredient costs of any designer scent and most niche scents is much of a percentage of the cost of the bottle of scent.

Top Bottom