What's new

4711 experiment

I have half of a litre bottle of 4711 Eau de Cologne that dates back to the mid 80's. It is not my favorite. I was trying to use it as an aftershave but it will make you scream for the first five seconds or so after application. It must have a high alcohol content.

I was tired at looking at the bottle so I decided to experiment.

500 mL 4711
500 mL Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
10 mL Glycerin
1 teaspoon Menthol crystals

This combination works much better as an aftershave. I will enjoy using it this summer. The menthol crystals really give it a good kick. The glycerin and witch hazel make it more suitable for use as an aftershave.

Last edited:
I have half of a litre bottle of 4711 Eau de Cologne that dates back to the mid 80's. It is not my favorite. I was trying to use it as an aftershave but it will make you scream for the first five seconds or so after application. It must have a high alcohol content.

I was tired at looking at the bottle so I decided to experiment.

500 mL 4711
500 mL Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
10 mL Glycerin
1 teaspoon Menthol crystals

This combination works much better as an aftershave. I will enjoy using it this summer. The menthol crystals really give it a good kick. The glycerin and witch hazel make it more suitable for use as an aftershave.

:ohmy:

Wow, one teaspoon of menthol crystals!? Good for you! I can handle an additional 3-5 crystals before I say uncle, haha. A whole teaspoon would leave me feeling :osage:.

Sounds like a great combo for the summer! I love a good homemade mix.

The menthol is definitely present but not chilling or eye watering. The citrus and menthol is a great combination. I will probably add more menthol to the liter. It is better to be conservative as you can always add more. I like menthol just under the threshold where my eyes water.

Top Bottom