What's new

47, pathetic shave routine (Electric) wanting to try DE Safety shaving

It gets uncomfortable/itchy shaving once a week :) and I am certain my wife would appreciate it.

You sound like me. In the 1980s, I would grow a beard from Labor to Memorial Day. I couldn't stand it once the weather warmed, and had to shave. On top of that, my youngest daughter would freak-out and go into hysterics when I shaved the beard. My wife and I never did understand her reaction, but I gave up on the bushy, temporary beard thing.

looks like a good starter pack

the sharp vs comfort is something I am noticing and the drag of blades not as sharp is something I notice BUT I get less irritation ?
and IMHO just needs again to be on your face :)
I am also only using the blade a few times (2-3) UNTIL I narrow down to my final 5 blades then will do a how many times can I shave not so I can stretch out the blade just so I know when to throw it out before I get bad shaves
good example is the 7'Oclock blades green vs yellow I prefer the yellow so far

I have found after 6 months what I am liking and making basic notes on did I get weepers or how much irritation how close was it ? a bit nerdy but I want to narrow this down to a few blades I like and NOT have a huge collection my long term goal is also narrow down how many razors I own to 1 or 2 and same with my soap/creme so going that extra step has helped me
also if I want to try new things I am not overwhelmed

the other thing that helped me shave one side of face with one blade and the other with the other blade
then next day flip the side of the face to make up for my right hand dominant bias I think I have and quickly found out which blades I like and narrowed down really quickly sure that makes sense
also if I got a bad shave like horrid I would try that blade again as many long term folks have said you can get a bad blade once in a while in a pack
again for me they are so cheap to buy and test and truly change the razor !

again I hope you find joy in this as I do and many at my age I never thought I would like shaving so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Some GREAT ADVICE above!!

I have a few general suggestions:
1. Read through the WiKI which has a ton of useful advice.
2. Focus on your technique rather than on acquiring tons of hardware and software.
3. Stick with one set up for awhile as you get your technique down, then change one thing at a time.

Mostly, ENJOY the journey!! :a29:

Duke,

Welcome to B & B. I too was an electric boy, Norelcos usually (though I used a Braun foli shaver for a couple of years until it cut me!). I've gone DE and won't ever go back.

Merkur Progress would be a fine new razor. Leave it at the mildest setting until you get your technique down. Vintage, a Gillette Tech.

Use cool to warm water and dissolve some baking soda into it for slipperiness. You can shave after the shower, or before, as long as you wet your beard thoroughly.

A synthetic brush with a cream such as Proraso Green or Palmolive Classic, or a foam like Barbasol (no brush needed there), will work beautifully. Leave the cream on your face and throat for about 3 minutes after applying before you bring up the razor. It will soften your bristles even further.

Aftershave? The good old ones like Aqua Velva work great, or the Proraso Red or Green will too.

Keep it simple until you find out what you like and don't like.

So many great and generous posts already. I am definitely trying to not overwhelm myself with the seemingly endless razor and blade options. My plan is to try and keep it simple, start with the basics that people here have helped with and like many have mentioned get the process/technique down and just get comfortable. I don't want to introduce too many variables that make it difficult to know what is working and what isn't.

@DukeofArmchair, you're off to a good start by asking questions and seeking advice. I would recommend a bit of research and you're in the right place for a lot of that. I've read through all of the previous posts in this thread and happen to agree with many of the suggestions. Set a budget for your first year and stick to it; you'll thank me later.

I must say you're off to an envious beginning with the very generous offers from @luvmysuper, @JWCowboy, and @Lightcs1776. Razors can last a lifetime, brushes several years, and soaps several months so try to choose wisely and purchase sparingly. Soap and/or cream samples are also a wise choice, but I would say pick a soap or cream (maybe two) and don't buy any more until those are nearly depleted or you find they just don't work for you. Use that time to develop your technique to achieve better more comfortable shaves, do more research, and possibly build a wish list of additional shaving gear. Whatever you do, try to have fun and enjoy the journey. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
@DukeofArmchair, you're off to a good start by asking questions and seeking advice. I would recommend a bit of research and you're in the right place for a lot of that. I've read through all of the previous posts in this thread and happen to agree with many of the suggestions. Set a budget for your first year and stick to it; you'll thank me later.

I must say you're off to an envious beginning with the very generous offers from @luvmysuper, @JWCowboy, and @Lightcs1776. Razors can last a lifetime, brushes several years, and soaps several months so try to choose wisely and purchase sparingly. Soap and/or cream samples are also a wise choice, but I would say pick a soap or cream (maybe two) and don't buy any more until those are nearly depleted or you find they just don't work for you. Use that time to develop your technique to achieve better more comfortable shaves, do more research, and possibly build a wish list of additional shaving gear. Whatever you do, try to have fun and enjoy the journey. Be well and stay safe...

Agree 1000% very fortunate to have came across this forum in my many searches for information. The group already has been amazing, with the info and generosity. I am one that typically goes full speed into everything I do, I am going to try and ease into this one and work on digesting the mountains of info on this forum.

Once you get it all figured out (razor, blade, soap/cream, brush, technique, etc), shaving will stop being a chore you put off until you absolutely have to, to something you look forward to doing…possibly so much so that you might be repeatedly caught checking to see if your stubble has grown back enough for a fresh shave.

…not that I would know anything about that.

Once you get it all figured out (razor, blade, soap/cream, brush, technique, etc), shaving will stop being a chore you put off until you absolutely have to, to something you look forward to doing…possibly so much so that you might be repeatedly caught checking to see if your stubble has grown back enough for a fresh shave.

…not that I would know anything about that.
I welcome the day that I don't dread it and planning on it working as you describe!

You can get great shaves with modest gear. ANY de is better than electric.

For me:

de with canned foam is better than a cartridge with soap/brush.

I mean, I use a soap and brush with a de 97% of the the time, I’m just saying; a safety razor beats everything, regardless of software.

Hi there!
Myself being based in EU, i'm not going to recommend you a Tech. But I'm definitely recommending you King C Gillette razor (aprox 15euros here). Paired with an Gillette Wilkinson Sword indian/ Gillette 7'oclock yellow or a Voskhod it give me the best shaves.

Try Nivea (blue tube) shaving cream and try to "ride the head" if you get neck irritation on the first run. And perhaps try an alcohol free aftershave or balm.

The other advises mention above are very helpful... so try following them.
Take your time, don't dispear and improve your technique! Better results will follow

Well, I am two shaves in, using a Super Speed (Thanks @luvmysuper ) and Gillette 7 o clock blade. I am certainly not winning any baby smooth face awards but I am not bleeding all over so that's a win. :) I waited 3 days between shaves, I am only doing a single pass for the first couple shaves just to get used to the technique. Struggling with the change of whisker direction, hope to get that down soon. I am also making a huge mess :) hope to get that sorted out soon also.

Overall I have not had any irritation, feels great except not totally smooth yet. I feel like its a pretty promising start :thumbsup: Thank you all for the help, encouragement, and generosity, looking forward to a smooth irritation free shaved face.

I started traditional wet shaving about a year ago after using electric razors for years. I couldn't believe how close you can get: literally baby-butt smooth with a full three-pass shave (with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain). Not a hint of sandpaper. My face hasn't felt like that since I was 12.

Mostly I don't bother. A single WTG pass gets the job done. But it's nice to know you can do that if you need to. If I need to get up early a full BBS the evening before saves having to shave in the morning.

If you don't shave regularly I'd recommend an open-comb razor. A mild one eg the Merkur 15C will be very easy to use (I use mine regularly for head shaving). Fatips are great and inexpensive although possibly a little too aggressive if you're new to DEs.

Even better, there's nothing quite like the feeling of shaving a beard off with a straight razor... Mows down everything in its path.

I started traditional wet shaving about a year ago after using electric razors for years. I couldn't believe how close you can get: literally baby-butt smooth with a full three-pass shave (with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain). Not a hint of sandpaper. My face hasn't felt like that since I was 12.

Mostly I don't bother. A single WTG pass gets the job done. But it's nice to know you can do that if you need to. If I need to get up early a full BBS the evening before saves having to shave in the morning.

If you don't shave regularly I'd recommend an open-comb razor. A mild one eg the Merkur 15C will be very easy to use (I use mine regularly for head shaving). Fatips are great and inexpensive although possibly a little too aggressive if you're new to DEs.

Even better, there's nothing quite like the feeling of shaving a beard off with a straight razor... Mows down everything in its path.

Hoping to start shaving more regularly, I will most likely do single pass shaves but I do want to get used to all three passes, in particular to see if I can handle against the grain. I am a little gun shy on that one but I will try it after a few more shaves just to get the feel.

@DukeofArmchair

I have always thought this was an exceptional explanation of blade angle

Bookmarked! I also watched a video on youtube just the other day from a guy named geofatboy, seemed to have similar info just not near the detail.

I can get 99% of a BBS with a Braun 9 electric wet shaver, which is good enough for any occasion.
I achieve this by using it wet with shaving gel (DE shaving cream clog the razor) and lots of passes.
The result is a close and irritation-free shave.

In terms of irritation-free shave, the Braun 9 used wet wins.

In terms of enjoying the shave (and all that it offers) the DE razor wins, hands down.

Most of the time I shave with a DE razor but sometimes I use the electric and finish with the DE razor.

Top Bottom