What's new

47, pathetic shave routine (Electric) wanting to try DE Safety shaving

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper
I appreciate that offer and am amazed by all of the friendliness and information I have already received! Amazing group. With that being said I cannot figure out for the life of me how to PM you :rolleyes:

I sent you a message, so you should be able to just reply to it. A number will appear in the upper right of the screen over the envelope icon when you have a message.

B&B prides itself on being helpful and courteous to each other. It's a welcome oasis in the desert of internet forums.

Click on the name and a box should appear, there should be a "Start Conversation" option

Yeah, I tried that first thing and nothing.

Screenshot_20210723-181304~2.png

I can only agree with what's already been said - there's plenty of great razors out there and you don't need to spend the earth to get good results, just time and practice.

You can get just as good shaves from an extremely cheap razor like the Baili BD176 as you can from pretty much anything... And for what they cost, if you decide not to persevere you're not too badly burned (I've set up several friends with them and they've loved them).

The vintage Gillette route is always fun, great value and (being brass rather than Zamac, with the exception of a few of the later models) they'll outlive you as long as you don't make a habit of dropping them...

Yes, you can spend more money and get something new, you can get something made of stainless steel or even titanium, but you'll typically be paying for economies of scale (we're a niche customer base and few razors are going to sell in huge numbers - meaning we all wind up chipping into R&D/testing time, CNC programming, etcetc)... You do get some beautiful and very well made razors, but diminishing returns ratchets up fast.

The generous offer of a PIF Superspeed is a great way to start - getting it from an experienced user means you'll know it's usable from the start (and any issues are your learning curve rather than faulty gear) and that it's appropriate for a beginner... And it's even cheaper than that Baili I mentioned 😂😂

As you've probably already noticed, there's loads of support here, so you'll always have people to help if you're having issues 🙂

Enjoy the ride!

I will throw this out there, because they are cheap, and still give a great shave, there is a sale on the Wilkinson sword classic, which also comes with 5 very good blades, for around $15 CDN, that will get you going in the right direction. I have a fair number of razors, and I still reach for the plastic fantastic more often than I thought I would. It's at Italian Barber.

They don't make the Gillettes anymore, but the old ones are built like tanks and will likely outlive you.
If you PM me your address I'll send you a Super Speed no charge so you can get an idea of the possibilities that await you.
Unless you're a germaphobe and think a razor made in the 50's or 60's has somehow absorbed more cooties than one that rolled off an industrial assembly line last week! [emoji38]1:

I second what @Scaramouche said. Go slow at first. When I got back into wet shaving it took 30 minutes to shave. Over time you improve and build muscle memory.
I get a baby butt smooth shave in two passes and it takes me 5 to 10 minutes from walk in to the bathroom to walk out.
Hello @DukeofArmchair

So looks like @luvmysuper has hooked you up with a razor, PM me and I'll hook you up with a brush and some soap. No charge of course ;)
OK, not as generous, but I will throw in a couple (2) of tucks Nacet blades, assuming you are continental. They are my personal favorites. Just let me know if you would like them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with an electric shaver. But you may enjoy the DE process a lot more.

First to recognize your face isn't up to the task of a daily blade because electric has been your method for a long time. Your beard growth won't necessarily be the same once the face becomes accustomed to a blade.

Use warm water (not hot) to wet thoroughly. Spend a good minute doing this. Let the badger brush soak in warm water at the same time. I recommend shaving cream since your skin isn't used to a blade. More cushion on that virgin face. Lather up and let the lather sit on the wet face for a couple of minutes. Use the razor and blade of choice.

Thorough cold rinse to close the pores when done. Pat dry, don't rub. Recommend a soothing aftershave balm to calm the skin post shave.

Give your face 3 - 4 weeks to get used to the new routine. Longer if not daily shaving.

Good luck!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Start simple:

1. Get a Lord L6. Less than ten bucks and a reasonably good razor that won't bite.
  2. Get a blade sampler, maybe of a dozen different brands. Every face/razor/blade combination is different.
  3. Get a can of Barbasol. You don't need to buy a brush yet.
  4. Maybe add a jar of Noxzema as a pre-shave.
  5. Use any after-shave that suits you. Most all are good. Start with something like Aqua Velva.
  6. Read up and ask questions on B&B.
  7. Start shaving. You'll be fine.
  8. Have fun.

Guys, Would this be a decent starter pack for blades? Obviously I have no idea what I am looking at as far as quality or if any of these are better for a particular shave type. Man trying to not be overwhelmed with the options.

@Lightcs1776 I cannot send PM's yet and appreciate the offer, I am going to try a assortment however I do not see your blade in this one.

2021-07-24_10-47-41.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That's as good a start as any, blades are particular - one guy can love a brand and the next guy could hate them.
You have 3 packages of blades enroute, a 10 pack of Chroma Diamant, a 7 pack of Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, and a 5 pack of Super-Max Platinum, so you should be good until you decide which starter packs you want to try.

For me, Derby will cut, but it isn't one of my favorites, but you may like them.
The rest look pretty good for a sample kit.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Map your beard will help in so many ways, find the direction of your whisker growth (2 or 3 day growth should be enough). This will reduce irritation and make your shave more pleasurable. Some folks do not shave against the grain (ATG) to reduce irritation.
I will leave a beard map and print one off, it does look strange this photo but it made a big difference for myself years ago.
View attachment 1301072
Have some great shaves!
+1 A game changer for me. WTG works!

Map your beard will help in so many ways, find the direction of your whisker growth (2 or 3 day growth should be enough). This will reduce irritation and make your shave more pleasurable. Some folks do not shave against the grain (ATG) to reduce irritation.
I will leave a beard map and print one off, it does look strange this photo but it made a big difference for myself years ago.
View attachment 1301072
Have some great shaves!
+1 A game changer for me. WTG works!

For sure, my whiskers are all over the place! Cheeks seem to grow down, jaw line seems to grow back, neck seems to grow up and middle neck adams apple area seems to grow down. I feel like I am going to need to limber up/stretch before shaving 😆

Guys, Would this be a decent starter pack for blades? Obviously I have no idea what I am looking at as far as quality or if any of these are better for a particular shave type. Man trying to not be overwhelmed with the options.

@Lightcs1776 I cannot send PM's yet and appreciate the offer, I am going to try a assortment however I do not see your blade in this one.

View attachment 1301389
I sent you a PM. Let me know if you received it. I currently have three different types of blades and can send some of each.

Edit: and the offer is there whether you do a sample pack or not. There are a lot of blades to try.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I never had a job where I needed to shave, so it was mostly once a week. I didn't switch to DE from electric, injector and carts until I was 63, so you still have 15 years more than me to finally enjoy shaving. The first year is the best, trying new products, learning how your beard grows and finding out what works best for you. After shaving with DE for more than 10 years, I found that every 2 days is best for me. I got lazy with the pandemic, and find that every 5-7 days isn't as good or enjoyable. Enjoy the journey.

I never had a job where I needed to shave, so it was mostly once a week. I didn't switch to DE from electric, injector and carts until I was 63, so you still have 15 years more than me to finally enjoy shaving. The first year is the best, trying new products, learning how your beard grows and finding out what works best for you. After shaving with DE for more than 10 years, I found that every 2 days is best for me. I got lazy with the pandemic, and find that every 5-7 days isn't as good or enjoyable. Enjoy the journey.

Same situation, I do not need to shave for my job so its never been a priority. I would like to develop the habit even though I don't need to shave for my job. It gets uncomfortable/itchy shaving once a week :) and I am certain my wife would appreciate it.

Top Bottom