What's new

46-47 and The 1951 Aristocrat

I have a 46-47 and like it, that is an understatement. Was thinking of adding a 1951. Is there any credible difference in the shave, I know the other differences I think. Any info is appreciated. Picture are welcome.

I don't have a '51 Aristocrat, but I do have a pair of '46-'47s and a '48 - '50 (no date code), the shaves are indistinguishable.

Im have never tried these, but in the true spirit of B&B, go for the '51. You know you want it.

And don't stop there!!!
attachment.php

FWIW, from the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock positions, 1934 US through 1954 Diplomat - I think the fantastic US Aristocrat shaves reached their pinnacle with the '51 through '54 platforms.

From the 8:30 to 3:30 positions are the Brits, from a pre-#15 to a 4th generation gold.

Last edited:
Of my, Dan, I almost fell off the wagon when I seen that picture. Where is the photo essay you have on those? So, can I take that the 51 may be a bit sweeter than the 46-47? And since you would know, where would you put these OC versions in a comparison comparing them to a New Improved, New Standard or, The New?

I truly believe you could sale that image as wall paper to some B&BER'S!

When you look at the heads from the '41 onward, they are indistinguishable to my eye, but I'm convinced I do feel a difference in shaving qualities, however slight. A lot of that could be due to wishful thinking on my part and some could be due to the use & abuse each of these individual examples has seen over their lifetimes (how many times have we dropped a razor?), but a piece of me thinks that as manufacturing processes improved, so did manufacturing tolerances. I do think Gillette sacrificed a bit of shave quality for convenience when making the jump from the NEW Deluxe to the '34 US TTO, but this is where I think the Brit OC TTOs got it right.

Original thread over here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/448400-My-Aristocracy?highlight=aristocracy

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Not to get off subject but how do the TTO open combs shave compared to a 3peice New open comb ?

Just one man's humble opinion, they are both efficient and differences are slight, but I think the '34 US Aristocrat (OC/TTO) is about on par with the NI for comfort....

If I had to choose 1, it would be the '49 Executive - yes, even before the vaunted #16 Aristocrat. Heresy, I know, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em!

I have always wanted a President. Does the President shave as good (same blade gap) as the Aristocrat 46-47?

My President is my birth year/quarter razor, so I might be a little biased, but until the '49 Exec came along, the Prez was my favorite. It's a sublime shave!

That is cool, a good year to be born for sure! Nice score. Man I can't get over that picture sweet. I want a 34 OC TTO . Happy Thanks Giving

Top Bottom