What's new

40s Super Speed Chatter?

So my vintage 40s SS arrived today in the mail, just in time for a night shave in prep for a meeting tomorrow morning. I don't know if this is what people call "chatter", but on some of the first passes, I kind of felt the blade "trotting" along the skin. It may be an angle or a pressure problem, but it's something that has never happened with my Merkur (34C).

I felt A LOT of blade compared to the Merkur, and this "chatter" made me kinda nervous. After about two or three passes experiencing this, I tried reducing pressure as much as possible. When I let the razor do the work, things went pretty smoothly. There were some nicks, but they were kind of expected, due to a pretty reckless ATG polishing sesh with the Merkur (using a less-than-fresh Personna Red) two days ago.

I'm a total noob (just under a month) so I will appreciate the guidance.

Whenever I've experienced blade chatter, it's always been because my lather wasn't slick enough. At that point, I add water.

40s SS is one of the smoothest zero chatter razors I've ever owned. No matter whatever blade I choose and no matter how badly I lather, I never experience "chatter" whatsoever. And whenever I use this razor I apply a LOT of pressure and still have had zero issues. I think this is the only razor that has yet to nick me. I think your issue is probably due to blade or lather.

what your describing sounds like tug to me. Chatter is really the sound of the blade cutting the whisker.

Sounds like you have solved your problem yourself. The 1940's SS are very forgiving razors, but a little more aggressive than your Merkur.

No pressure and also shoot for some slicker lather as Steve noted.

Good luck. Remember to relax and enjoy the ride.

If you are new to TTO razors, let me throw in a reminder to make sure that you have the razor closed completely before using. The knob on some will seem like they're turned all the way, but actually require a tiny bit of force to completely get into a closed position.

Could this be just the audible feedback of hairs being cut? The SS is quite a bit lighter than 34c. Lighter razors give much more audible feedback.

There were passes with a lot of hair "crackle", but the movement was still smooth. What I'm looking to describe is something like a bumpy car ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check to make sure your doors are closing all the way. With a blade installed and the doors closed give it a shake. If you see the doors move or hear a rattle, they are still loose. If this is the case it is most likely gunked up with old soap. A good soaking in hot soapy water and working the knob a bit should fix it right up. I've had a few rough shaving Super Speeds and this has been the issue.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you are new to TTO razors, let me throw in a reminder to make sure that you have the razor closed completely before using. The knob on some will seem like they're turned all the way, but actually require a tiny bit of force to completely get into a closed position.

Check to make sure your doors are closing all the way. With a blade installed and the doors closed give it a shake. If you see the doors move or hear a rattle, they are still loose. If this is the case it is most likely gunked up with old soap. A good soaking in hot soapy water and working the knob a bit should fix it right up. I've had a few rough shaving Super Speeds and this has been the issue.

What they said. ^^^^

I had this issue with my Gillette Rocket. Hot water & soap soak then rinsed under fairly hot water while I opened and closed the doors turning the knob. I could feel it working smoother as it cleaned up.

Make sure the TTO knob is closed tightly! It should hold the blade in a vice like grip.

+1! This would be my first thought also.

I rechecked the mechanism and made sure there was no rattle or shaking blade at all. I also changed my soap, since I was fortunate enough to find a local beauty shop that stocks Arko ($1.50!!!).

All traces of trotting were gone and I was finally able to experience what all the fuss about this razor's about.

Last night was my closest shave so far. True BBS. I was totally surprised with the results. I kept getting the faintest sensation of razor burn, so I applied some menthol aloe gel for sunburns and that did the trick.

I rechecked the mechanism and made sure there was no rattle or shaking blade at all. I also changed my soap, since I was fortunate enough to find a local beauty shop that stocks Arko ($1.50!!!).

All traces of trotting were gone and I was finally able to experience what all the fuss about this razor's about.

Last night was my closest shave so far. True BBS. I was totally surprised with the results. I kept getting the faintest sensation of razor burn, so I applied some menthol aloe gel for sunburns and that did the trick.

Good to hear, enjoy your shaves! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom