What's new

40's style SuperSpeed Possible Repair?

I just got another 40's style SS. Pretty nice one, but there is one thing. The doors, or I should say just the one is a little sticky, doesn't open fully. You can push it with your finger open, and it closes fine and locks up tight. You can see that it is a little sticky and won't fall open. What is wrong with it and can it be repaired?

Although I haven't yet tried this myself, I have been advised that an overnight bath in mineral oil does wonders for Super Speeds. Obviously, this won't fix your problem if it is a mechanical issue, rather than a lubrication issue, but I don't see how it could hurt.

I'm sure one of the guys from the Gillette Continuum will chime in momentarily.

Good luck!

Without seeing that razor--and if it isn't a lubrication problem--I expect you've got a slightly bent guide for that silo door, causing it to bind instead of falling open. You can gently bend (pressure) the offending guide inwards or outwards (again, I'm guessing outwards, since someone probably banged that razor on the sink too hard, once upon a time) to free up the pin in the guide hole. I had a Red Tip with a similar condition and a little gentle pressure restored its alignment.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree they are great razors. I have 3 '40's style, 2 '48-50 and a '47, and they give consistently the best shaves. Except for the days I want a Fatboy, or the occasion of a Tech.

Yes. With slow and judicious pressure I got that door to open freely. I believe it was as you said soapbox. The pin was binding and I was able to loosen it. And it still shaves great. This was my '47 and I really wanted it to work correctly, it being my birth year and all. Thanks for the tip and encouragement to try to fix it.

Yes. With slow and judicious pressure I got that door to open freely. I believe it was as you said soapbox. The pin was binding and I was able to loosen it. And it still shaves great. This was my '47 and I really wanted it to work correctly, it being my birth year and all. Thanks for the tip and encouragement to try to fix it.

Outstanding! :w00t: I'm so glad I was able to help!

Top Bottom