What's new

40s & 50s

What do you mean, exactly? Not being made in the numbers they were? Or not being made of nickel-plated brass? Or what?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The usual answer to any question that starts out, "Why isn't there..." or "Why don't they..." is "money."

There's more money to be made in carts and goo than in razors, blades, brushes and blades. Note there is a difference between "money to be made" and "money to be spent." The profit goes to the side of creating things that cannot be repaired or refreshed, but must be replaced in toto. Then you jack the price up to just under what the public will bear, and sit back and count the dollars.

O.H.

Perhaps due to cutting the Advertising budget!
When was the last time you saw a DE razor featured on a major sporting event?!

proraso blue rubberset gillette aqua velva june 12 2018.jpg

The cost of producing brass razors is the essential reason why, it is more expensive than the zinc alloy castings and machined parts.
Also there is built in obsolescence, the old brass Gillette razors have stood the test of time and keep going. Not good for Gillette or any razor manufacturer.

I would agree that its money. One of the reasons why Gillette invented carts is to force you into buying your blades from them because once they sell you the handle, you are locked into buying only their blades because only their blades fit that handle.
With a DE, you can use any blade you want, so if you don't use a Gillette blade, they are losing money.
Ive often marveled at how well made the old Gillettes were and how cheap they were. In today's money, a Super Speed would have cost you about $30. There isnt a $30 razor made today that can hold a candle to the quality of a vintage Gillette and I highly doubt any of the modern zinc alloy razors made today would hold up to be used on a daily basis over 50, 75 or 100 years like the old Gillettes have.

You want whatever you manufacture to last up to, and not exceed, its warranty period. A warranty of a hundred years, as with some of these vintage razors, is not a good business model.

Same quality. Nickel plated brasd i guess if thats what u wanna call it
A vintage Gillette would probably cost the equivalent of $20-30 in today's money (due to inflation). The only new razor I know of in that price range made of solid brass with nickel or chrome plating is one of the Fatips. You might have a look at the Fatip Grande, Piccolo, or the Lo Storto (slant). One of my personal favorites.

The next razor that comes to mind would be one of the Razorock Gamechangers. These are solid stainless steel, very solidly made and shave great. Those are around $55-60.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I believe they are still being built like in the 40-50's and maybe a little better with a lot of introduction of stainless razors. I was on Amazon and they are still making beautiful TTO razors out of brass and coated with chrome and nickel. They are making modern injectors still and with 3 pc adjustable's . Three pc razors have gone to a whole new level of perfection with all kinds of materials and finishes. So the vintage razors where made to work well with excellent results, I'm not sure they are better but some do look nicer in appearance when it come's to Lather catchers that give excellent results.
LC Compare 1 (2).jpg
Gem jr bar Lather Cather scroll work. (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Top Bottom