What's new

404 days =s 15 cents a shave

Its been so long since I posted I had to re-register. A couple years ago I bought MDC original and it sat in my cabinet for quite a while before I finished the soaps that were at the front of the line. My OCD won't let me soap swap. Once I start using it I have to finish it. I paid 59 dollars for the MDC original, and I had some serious buyers remorse, because my wife was a tad upset at that amount for soap.

MDC is not a cheap soap and I was curious how long it would last. I shave 6 days a week give or take a few days here and there. On March 1st, 2021, I decided I would not skip any days or add any days to my schedule to see how long that expensive soap lasted.
Here is my method Not scientific method.
I face lather with a wet but shalen out Pure Tasso Brush that is too old.
I never counted the number of swirls just what felt right. If there was not enough I gave it another swirl.

That tub of MDC original lasted 404 shaves!

My tubs of TOBS sensitive skin will last about 90 if I'm lucky. Granted they are smaller but even at the same weight they would not last 404 shaves

Yes, the now price of 69ish dollars is a hefty amount for soap but this stuff lasts and in the end is pretty darn economical. Plus the MDC quality can't be beat.
I will order another tub once the weather cools.

My personal scale of soap costs is the following:
- <10 cents per shave: low cost
- 10-20 cents per shave: medium
- >20 cents per shave: premium

The brush you use plays a big role here. I can shave with 0.3g of soap or cream using my Muhle STF. Good luck getting any lather with a Chubby 2 or 3 and less than 1g of soap.

Whenever I use expensive soaps, I try to use brushes that consume less soap, like synthetics or the Wee Scot. It’s a good way to try products like MdC without breaking the bank, moving them from the premium to the medium category

404 shaves from a 200g soap is roughly a half gram per shave, much more efficient than the typical one gram per shave calculated for other soaps by B&B members. If MDC delivers your ideal shaving experience then it absolutely is a good value. Very affordable luxury at that price/# shaves. How did the quality of the MDC shave compare to your previous shaving soaps?

I'm at the lower end of the spectrum at a little over 3 cents a shave for my favorite Van Der Williams blend (load heavy at 1.5 grams roughly per shave). At similar load rates Arko ($2 stick) runs at 3 cents per shave. At an estimated (still working though first puck) one gram per shave my Razorock What the Puck ($2.99 sale price plus a portion of the shipping charge for 100 gram/3.5 oz puck) is 4 cents per shave also. I get about 90 shaves from a puck of Williams (99 cents before it was discontinued) for a cost of a little over once cent per shave.

My most expensive soap, a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat (4.4 ounces/120 grams @ $11.99 U.S. sale price) will deliver (only used a few times so far) over 200 shaves for a cost of 5 - 6 cents a shave assuming continued performance similar to Williams.

I'm primarily focused on shaving performance as scent, container artwork, etc. is not important to me. Get YMMV and our varying preferences and believe this is a great hobby that offers a wide range of affordable options that allow each shaver to tailor his/her ideal shaving experience.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
1/2 gram per shave of MdC is a good working number. That gives you 400 shaves per tub. You might use a little less with the Wee Scott, and more with a Chubby 2.

You can lower the price a couple of ways. If you buy from MdC, order two tubs, the shipping will be about the same. Also look to the European dealers like Gifts and Care and Yourshaving, especially of you have other items that you want. Free or reduced cost shipping is common with these EU resellers.

404 shaves from a 200g soap is roughly a half gram per shave, much more efficient than the typical one gram per shave calculated for other soaps by B&B members. If MDC delivers your ideal shaving experience then it absolutely is a good value. Very affordable luxury at that price/# shaves. How did the quality of the MDC shave compare to your previous shaving soaps?

I'm at the lower end of the spectrum at a little over 3 cents a shave for my favorite Van Der Williams blend (load heavy at 1.5 grams roughly per shave). At similar load rates Arko ($2 stick) runs at 3 cents per shave. At an estimated (still working though first puck) one gram per shave my Razorock What the Puck ($2.99 sale price plus a portion of the shipping charge for 100 gram/3.5 oz puck) is 4 cents per shave also. I get about 90 shaves from a puck of Williams (99 cents before it was discontinued) for a cost of a little over once cent per shave.

My most expensive soap, a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat (4.4 ounces/120 grams @ $11.99 U.S. sale price) will deliver (only used a few times so far) over 200 shaves for a cost of 5 - 6 cents a shave assuming continued performance similar to Williams.

I'm primarily focused on shaving performance as scent, container artwork, etc. is not important to me. Get YMMV and our varying preferences and believe this is a great hobby that offers a wide range of affordable options that allow each shaver to tailor his/her ideal shaving experience.
I went through the slut shave phase where I was lathering every soap and cream on my face I could. After numerous breakouts, and bad shaves because you can chew our water its so hard I found TOBS sensitive skin and stuck with it. Few breakouts, and only a little redness on that one part of my neck that is a giant PIA to shave smooth. MDC is a lot better. I will miss it. I realized after I tossed the empty, that I had no backup. Had to head for walmart and grabbed a small tube of harry's shave cream That stuff is trash.

I await the cooler weather with much anticipation.
1/2 gram per shave of MdC is a good working number. That gives you 400 shaves per tub. You might use a little less with the Wee Scott, and more with a Chubby 2.

You can lower the price a couple of ways. If you buy from MdC, order two tubs, the shipping will be about the same. Also look to the European dealers like Gifts and Care and Yourshaving, especially of you have other items that you want. Free or reduced cost shipping is common with these EU resellers.
free shipping to the US? Really?

Steve56

Well free or reduced, shipping, on my last Yourshaving order was $13 I think. Order two tubs at 48 euros and change throw in enough add-ons to get to 105 euros and bam, free shippping. BTW, the dollar reached parity with the euro a day or two ago, pay in euros.

E059C4D9-16E2-41FE-B42B-1D9220B46F82.jpeg

I went through the slut shave phase where I was lathering every soap and cream on my face I could. After numerous breakouts, and bad shaves because you can chew our water its so hard I found TOBS sensitive skin and stuck with it. Few breakouts, and only a little redness on that one part of my neck that is a giant PIA to shave smooth. MDC is a lot better. I will miss it. I realized after I tossed the empty, that I had no backup. Had to head for walmart and grabbed a small tube of harry's shave cream That stuff is trash.

I'm fortunate with no adverse reactions to any soap that I've tried. Rather than trying a wide variety of soaps I started with a handful of basic items, discovered how they worked and then played around with various blends to get the ideal custom soap. Started my return to DE with just Williams shave soap followed Van Der Haagen Deluxe (VDH). Before I learned to use Williams with a good boar brush I got the best results by combining the two. I grate the Williams and then mix with melted VDH Deluxe. Further experimented with additional superlathering additions and some Ivory for additional slickness. Best mix includes a puck of Williams, same of VDH Deluxe, one ounce of Dove Men+Care, half ounce Proroso red croap and an ounce of Ivory with plenty of water to make an really slick and stable lather.

I rotate between three ceramic mugs, one with this blend, another with either straight Williams or Arko and a third with Razorock What the Puck. Also have the Proraso Croap, VDH Luxury (has glycerine not in the Deluxe so works well on its own) and a puck of Mitchell's wool fat (very similar to Williams for me) that I use occasionally in addition to the three primary soaps in rotation. Note that the What the Puck, Arko and Mitchell's are recent acquisitions to understand what will work best for me once my reserve stock of discontinued Williams runs out. VDH Luxury came with my apothecary mugs.

Given your sensitivity to some soap ingredients you may want to reach out to RayClem who frequently posts on B&B. He also has sensitive skin and has acquired over 200 different soaps to determine which ones work best without irritation. He may be able to steer you to some good MDC alternatives.

Sir Nateandaaron, great posts, thanks!
I think MdC soap would be resilient to summer temps.
btw, brain bowls or plain jars, all the same soap.

martin de candre bowls.jpg

I find MDC to be .3 to .5 grams per shave so I'm right in the same place as the rest of ya. And S.F. is right about the same. As long as I'm using a standard brush. Not a big soap hog. I've never tried to use one tub until it's gone as that takes the fun out of it for me.
Nice thread.

Steve56

MdC is not a milled soap (has all the native glycerin) and achieves these g/shave numbers by virtue of being cured for 6-9 months according to their site info. Hey, American artisans, are you listening? Crickets….

Pre de Provence is a triple or quad milled soap, likely as cheap to use as Arko and a good bit better performance.

What, pray tell, is a 🧠 bowl?

At your service sir, I posted mine that’s well worn.

C70B0FBA-8CA9-4436-9D0C-98AB4F77AAAB.jpeg

Top Bottom