What's new

.40: Short & Weak, or just right?

I prefer it when on duty. Bigger like the .45, but faster like the 9mm. Best of both worlds. Something comforting about 165 grain Gold Dot moving at 1200 feet per second. :) Yes, a 9mm recoils less and is "more" controllable then the .40. But a .22 is "more" controllable than the 9mm.

And the .40 is "more" controllable then a .44 Magnum, so on and so on. Glock 23 on duty, Glock 19 or 43X off duty.

“165 grain moving at 1200 FPS”
That is a lot of lead moving at the speed of sound. I’m a big fan of energy & that round has it in spades.
My preference is a 185 grain .45+P moving at 1150 FPS but that is for a different thread.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
“165 grain moving at 1200 FPS”
That is a lot of lead moving at the speed of sound. I’m a big fan of energy & that round has it in spades.
My preference is a 185 grain .45+P moving at 1150 FPS but that is for a different thread.

The bolded is an almost identical ballistic match to a 180 gr. 10mm.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Never to be overlooked is the prime directive...shot placement.
If and when deployed properly, a .25 can be more effective than a .454 Casull deployed not so properly.

I hear that. There are the old sayings....

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final."

"Take your time...fast."

.40 is interesting, by any account. The world could use more compromise.

What's the definition of compromise? Something like "an arrangement that no-one is completely happy with."

Personally, I shoot much more .38 Spl. than. 357 Mag.

AA
Wise words!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
.40 is interesting, by any account. The world could use more compromise.

What's the definition of compromise? Something like "an arrangement that no-one is completely happy with."

Personally, I shoot much more .38 Spl. than. 357 Mag.

AA
I was practicing with .357 rounds in my LCR. Hurt like you know what, and if I had missed someone charging at me at less than 5 feet away, I'd miss them again, as it took WAY too long to get back on target.

In my GP100, .357 is like shooting a .22LR. That gun makes me look real good as a shooter. So I carry it in the winter.

This time of year I carry my LCR loaded with .38's. Easily concealed, easily unholstered, and I get back on target quicker.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
To totally derail the thread....

Since I'm having a bit of a problem racking the slide on a 1911...I wonder how I would feel if I rode one of these all day, or even half a day, bareback like I used to do as a kid. I have a bridle but no saddle. Haven't rode them yet as they belong to the guy that rents my pasture, but I can ride them any time I want. Riding jars every muscle and bone in your body.

Talk about walking bow legged and rubbing your butt.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

But...back to shooting...these are easier to operate than a 1911. They don't hold a bucket of bullets though.

dsc_0003-2-jpg.962689

FarmerTan

Since I'm having a bit of a problem racking the slide on a 1911...I wonder how I would feel if I rode one of these all day, or even half a day, bareback like I used to do as a kid. I have a bridle but no saddle. Haven't rode them yet as they belong to the guy that rents my pasture, but I can ride them any time I want. Riding jars every muscle and bone in your body.

View attachment 1011831

But...back to shooting...these are easier to operate than a 1911. They don't hold a bucket of bullets though.

dsc_0003-2-jpg.962689
Well, to this northern hick, they are much prettier!

FarmerTan

The horses, of courses! Told you I was a hick!

Seriously, I find the looks of almost all semi-auto's just "blah" compared to almost any revolver.

And I admit: I'm old and don't see me learning new tricks. I know my limits, and I'm okay with that. I like the simplicity of point and shoot. My old thumbs don't enjoy loading up magazines or clips or whatever they are called this week.

Hey! You horses! Get off my lawn!

They have sleeve things these days to save your thumbs.

Old wheel guns are pretty. Some modern ones are too.

Weapons? My preference is effectivity, not aesthetics. Aesthetics have their place, but with weapons, for me, that place is in the safe.

My 1911 is prettier than my glocks. I carry for effectivity.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
They have sleeve things these days to save your thumbs.

Old wheel guns are pretty. Some modern ones are too.

Weapons? My preference is effectivity, not aesthetics. Aesthetics have their place, but with weapons, for me, that place is in the safe.

My 1911 is prettier than my glocks. I carry for effectivity.

Sometimes...tactics and attitude are more effective than what weapon you have.

No offense...just saying.

But back to the .40. I think it is good. Big enough not to have to rely on expansion to cause damage, but light enough recoil to get back on target compared to the 10 mm it came from.

For a bear though I'd take a .45-70 rifle, and if I had a handgun it would be my .41 Mag. or a .44 Mag. with heavy SWC loads. And bears ain't human....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was practicing with .357 rounds in my LCR. Hurt like you know what, and if I had missed someone charging at me at less than 5 feet away, I'd miss them again, as it took WAY too long to get back on target.

In my GP100, .357 is like shooting a .22LR. That gun makes me look real good as a shooter. So I carry it in the winter.

This time of year I carry my LCR loaded with .38's. Easily concealed, easily unholstered, and I get back on target quicker.

In that case, just shoot once … this country was founded with flintlocks!

AA :2guns:

Ad Astra

The Instigator

View attachment 1011831

dsc_0003-2-jpg.962689

A beautiful brace of thumb-buster like that is welcome to derail anytime!

Seriously, I put a Wolff spring kit in some pistol. Wanted the strongest spring whereby it'd still function.

Now I wonder if I can rack it in the middle of the night. Might need to do some warmup exercises ...

AA

From everything I've read, research has shown the effectiveness of the 9, 40, and 45 aren't that far apart anyway (especially now with the advancements in the 9mm cartridge).
Carry whatever service caliber works for you.

FarmerTan

From everything I've read, research has shown the effectiveness of the 9, 40, and 45 aren't that far apart anyway (especially now with the advancements in the 9mm cartridge).
Carry whatever service caliber works for you.
Well, it sure ain't gonna work if it's not with you, on that I hope we can all agree!

Top Bottom