What's new

4 razors and one question - which one is the ''best''?

Well after reading all of this, I think it's a toss up between the more expensive and comfortable Blackbird and the much cheaper, but also not as smooth Green Cult.
What about the lupo 95? I know you said you have the dlc version of it. But the lupo 95 and the DLC feel like two entirely different razors. I have the tatara masamune closed Comb, and an excellant everyday razor. However, i think for most people on this board it's not aggressive( efficient) enough. I would probally go with the blackbird out of The four razors from your list..while you can't go wrong with any of them. I would strongly consider the razorock lupo 95, it's a very high quality razor at a tremendous value.

Last edited:
What about the lupo 95? I know you said you have the dlc version of it. But the lupo 95 and the DLC feel like two entirely different razors. I have the tatara masamune closed Comb, and an excellant everyday razor. However, i think for most people on this board it's not aggressive( efficient) enough.

I have the Lupo DC a.k.a. double comb and it has an open comb side with .72 gap and a solid bar with .95. And yes, the Lupo DC and .95 has nothing to do with the Lupo DLC.

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 19-55-54 Lupo dc – Google Търсене.png

Have you received the Blackbird yet? I'm curious how you like the SS version. I have the Blackbird Ti SB on its way to me, should be arriving in another day, or two.

Have you received the Blackbird yet? I'm curious how you like the SS version. I have the Blackbird Ti SB on its way to me, should be arriving in another day, or two.

Not yet. I expect it to arrive by the end of the month. Our postal service was hacked last month and they managed to finally fix it a few days ago and on top of that we had some national holidays and everything was closed.

Out of those I ordered the green cult off of Etsy. But I don’t think it’ll arrive for a while though. Possibly as far out as the end of June. But I have read of people saying how efficient and comfortable it is. And for the price I guess I can’t complain to much. The only downside is the cost of shipping from there to the US. But then again I’ve been wanting a Blackbird myself also but I’ve kinda balked at the 200 dollar price tag. Maybe one of these days I’ll finally break down and get it. But one that I do have that I use fairly regularly that you might be interested in is the Ikon B1 Standard. It’s fairly efficient and comes in a closed comb like you want. It’s on sale for 99 dollars on their website. Or I’ve seen it for I think 80 bucks on Maggards also.

Out of those I ordered the green cult off of Etsy. But I don’t think it’ll arrive for a while though. Possibly as far out as the end of June. But I have read of people saying how efficient and comfortable it is. And for the price I guess I can’t complain to much. The only downside is the cost of shipping from there to the US. But then again I’ve been wanting a Blackbird myself also but I’ve kinda balked at the 200 dollar price tag. Maybe one of these days I’ll finally break down and get it. But one that I do have that I use fairly regularly that you might be interested in is the Ikon B1 Standard. It’s fairly efficient and comes in a closed comb like you want. It’s on sale for 99 dollars on their website. Or I’ve seen it for I think 80 bucks on Maggards also.

See post below. 12% off changes 200 into 176....c'mon you know you want to. :)

Yeah I know. You’re very right. It is very tempting. And I very much want it to try it just because of how efficient I hear it is. And I do love efficient razors. Now I find it that much harder to control myself and not do it. You sir are quite the enabler.

Yeah I know. You’re very right. It is very tempting. And I very much want it to try it just because of how efficient I hear it is. And I do love efficient razors. Now I find it that much harder to control myself and not do it. You sir are quite the enabler.

I will add that I paid more than that for my Blackbird USED (mine is the polished version). And it is a very efficient, very comfortable razor. Ok I'll stop enabling now. ;)

I've bought the polished sb stainless steel version from a fellow B&B member and at that time I wasn't 100% whatever I'm going to get one or not, but the offer was just too good for me to pass on and on top of that it was the polished version and ever since I've tried the Rockwell 6S, I tend to stay away from anything that isn't polished even if the polishing is the most basic.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd suggest you keep an eye on BST or just ask if someone is selling one and you'd be surprised how cheaper you can find one even the polished version and even one of the titanium versions.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive (hopefully next week) and if it really blows me away, I might get the titanium version as well at some point.

I will add that I paid more than that for my Blackbird USED (mine is the polished version). And it is a very efficient, very comfortable razor. Ok I'll stop enabling now. ;)
Yeah I see the polished one on their site is like 255. And the titanium is over 300 if I remember right. Which I think people say that the titanium is even smoother and I think is in the same ballpark for efficiency as the stainless steel version. But I’m surprised a used one even with it being polished was over 200. Then again I haven’t looked to see what used ones are going for though.

Yeah I see the polished one on their site is like 255. And the titanium is over 300 if I remember right. Which I think people say that the titanium is even smoother and I think is in the same ballpark for efficiency as the stainless steel version. But I’m surprised a used one even with it being polished was over 200. Then again I haven’t looked to see what used ones are going for though.
I have the Rockwell 6s and think that it’s solid. The head is a little bulky. But otherwise can’t complain about it a whole lot. But I usually tend to use more efficient razors like my B1 standard more often though. Just because I like how it gets a close shave in less passes. And I think that it’s more comfortable than the Muhle R41. I just haven’t got the Ikon Tech quite dialed in yet. It’s efficient but lots of blade feel though. It’s almost like the safety bar is nonexistent and doesn’t even have any sort of function. Most of my face wouldn’t matter. But I can usually feel it on my neck just because it’s slightly sensitive. But I will have to keep an eye on the bst and see what I can find. Otherwise like you said I’m in no hurry to buy it. But would love to get one and try it and see how it goes.

Most folks claim that the Tatara razors are very comfortable, but not very efficient and i'm looking for something crazy efficient yet very smooth.

Aren't those two kinda hard to find and expensive on top of that too? I love vintage razors, but so far very few of them can make me use them all the time without using any of my modern razors.
The Tatara Nodachi SB is very smooth and efficient.

If you sign up to Blacklands newsletter + sign up to receive text messages from them, they'll send you a coupon via text for 15% off. That would get you the Blackbird for $170!

I see that you can up to the newsletter and texts for 15% like LRod was saying. So an extra 6 bucks off is nice.
If you sign up to Blacklands newsletter + sign up to receive text messages from them, they'll send you a coupon via text for 15% off. That would get you the Blackbird for $170!
Yeah I just saw that one and it was also mentioned a 12% off code for Memorial Day. So if I had to use one I guess it’d be the 15% one for signing up for texts and the newsletter. 6 more bucks is 6 more bucks. I’ll take it.

So I finally did give in and buy a machined blackbird. Hopefully that and that green cult whenever they do arrive take care of this rad for quite a while. I really don’t need any more razors. At least for a while.

Good for you! Enjoy! I'll be interested in your comparison of the BB to the Green Cult.

Yeah me too. The only thing that worries me is the length of the handle on the green cult. Just because I generally like using handles roughly around 80mm to 85mm. Or at least in that ballpark anyways. I find them more easily maneuverable than longer handles. That’s just me. But I’ll still give it a try on the longer handle though and see how it goes. Maybe I’ll like it. And maybe I’ll have some shorter handles that’ll work with it too and see how that goes.

So the handle on the blackbird won’t be much an issue since I got the standard one and it’s an 85mm handle. We’ll see. I like to try keeping my mind open to different things. So I might like that longer handle. Who knows.

Top Bottom