What's new

4 razors and one question - which one is the ''best''?

I’ve only got a 1.35 gap Wolfman WR2. It is certainly not as efficient as a Blackbird. I can’t say whether a WR2 with 1.65 gap is close to the Blackbird or not.

Personally I don’t get along especially well with the Wolfman WR2 head design and I prefer the way my Blackbird shaves. But I know many people love the way the WR2 shaves. It’s pretty different from other razor heads and I think you probably can’t know until you try one how well you would get along with such a huge gap and blade reveal.

I think the Tradere OC is less smooth feeling than the Blackbird. The tradeoff also relates to the Tradere having a higher degree of efficiency.
It’s interesting - I think some people find the Blackbird a bit rough and some say it is quite smooth. I suspect both are correct and we are just using the razor slightly differently.

Well after reading all of this, I think it's a toss up between the more expensive and comfortable Blackbird and the much cheaper, but also not as smooth Green Cult.

Wish I had an original Tradere. But I do think Shane improved the handle design and tidied up the knurling. It would be nice to compare the two Gen 1 Traderes and see if they really are identical.

Most of all, it is great that this great razor was resurrected, rather than just being an unobtainable rarity. I don’t know why it seems to attract less buzz than the Blackbird, but perhaps the style is polarizing, or maybe there is just a sense that the newer razor design is the thing to have. But, as I say, I think the Tradere is the best razor Blackland makes.

I would LOVE to do a side by side comparison of both the original Traderes and the Blackland Traderes, but I simply don't have the budget for that, lol.

Well after reading all of this, I think it's a toss up between the more expensive and comfortable Blackbird and the much cheaper, but also not as smooth Green Cult.
The Blackbird is the better razor, but the Green Cult is a lot of razor for the money and might be a good place to start without shelling out a lot of money.

Four pages later it's still a shot in the dark, but you knew that going in.

Even if a representative number of members had all the razors, none of them are shaving your face with your technique. But it was probably a good way to think your way through the choices.

Absolutely. I don't expect to find out which one is the best razor out of the bunch, but I want to see what others who own more than one of them thinks. 2 or more heads think better than one after all. Besides, i'm not planning to buy any of then any time soon and that gives me more time to think about it.

Let me first say I have a mustache, so I'm not concerned about shaving under the nose. So you may just discount my opinion, & that's fine. But I want to share my thoughts.

I would like to suggest a Timeless Titanium .95 Safety Bar razor. The titanium is a softer smoother shave than the stainless steel version, at least to me it is. I have the Wolfman 1 .74 SB, Wolfman 2 1.35 SB as well as the Wolfman 2 1.25 SB. I also had the opportunity to use a WR1 .67 SB for a few weeks. That was a wonderful razor, as well! The Wolfman razors are all nice, smooth shavers that have some blade feel. Many like that mild blade feel, & you might too. The Timeless Ti .95 SB has no blade feel & is smoother than any of the above Wolfman's, IMHO. It is a complete autopilot razor for me. The shave is close & efficient. Not as efficient as the WR2 1.35, but quite similar to the WR2 1.25. I have used the Blackbird less than a dozen times by participating in a pass around for the razor, so I don't feel qualified to accurately speak on its attributes & characteristics.

If I had to rate the above razors, it would be:

Smoothest:
1) Timeless Ti .95
2) WR2 1.25
3) WR2 1.35
4) WR1 .74

Most Efficient:
1) WR2 1.35
2) WR1 .74
3) Timeless Ti .95
4) WR2 1.25

Overall Most Enjoyable:
1) Timeless Ti .95
2) WR2 1.25
3) WR2 1.35
4) WR1 .74

But as I said at the top, you may ignore this because your criteria is different than mine. Whatever you choose, please keep us posted, & above all, enjoy your shaves!

Last edited:
This is only on paper, in reality your face could tell you a completely opposite story. YMMV.

921H, nodachi and blackbird have a similar level of stimulation ?
By this do you mean blade feel? If so, then the Blackbird has more blade feel than the Nodachi. The Nodachi is ever so slightly smoother and more nimble (with he Masamune handle). If this is not what you meant, let me know.

By this do you mean blade feel? If so, then the Blackbird has more blade feel than the Nodachi. The Nodachi is ever so slightly smoother and more nimble (with he Masamune handle). If this is not what you meant, let me know.
yeah,i have a nodachi and i want a BB.But when i use nodachi I feel drastic,it means, it's easy to hurt my face.so I was wondering if BB is a good fit for me

yeah,i have a nodachi and i want a BB.But when i use nodachi I feel drastic,it means, it's easy to hurt my face.so I was wondering if BB is a good fit for me
The BB will have more blade feel on your face. I always think it's going to irritate my skin, but it never does. Shaved with my Blackbird today.....super close and no irritation. You do have to be more careful with the BB compared to the Nodachi......I do anyway.

The BB will have more blade feel on your face. I always think it's going to irritate my skin, but it never does. Shaved with my Blackbird today.....super close and no irritation. You do have to be more careful with the BB compared to the Nodachi......I do anyway.
BB is a nice razor ,many people have the same idea ,maybe I will buy it in the fature. I don't have a lot of beards,maybe BB is the most intense DE I bought

BB is a nice razor ,many people have the same idea ,maybe I will buy it in the fature. I don't have a lot of beards,maybe BB is the most intense DE I bought
If you don't have a lot of beard, the BB will only need to be used every few days. It is very efficient. Out of all my razors, the BB has the most blade feel on my skin. If you want to feel the blade more than the Nodachi then the BB is your next razor. If you don't like blade feel, then you won't like the BB.

If you don't have a lot of beard, the BB will only need to be used every few days. It is very efficient. Out of all my razors, the BB has the most blade feel on my skin. If you want to feel the blade more than the Nodachi then the BB is your next razor. If you don't like blade feel, then you won't like the BB.
OH,itis a good advice,razors need to try to get the best one

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have the Ti, Brass and Stainless Blackbirds and the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB. No Overlander or Green Cult. I also have several of the other razors suggested.

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird is currently my #1 ranked DE razor. Efficient, smooth, effective, nimble and maneuverable.

Just my opinion. :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It will at least be worth knowing instead of guessing. Whether you’ll smash up the rest of your razors to spare them the shame of existing as non-Blackbird safety razors or not, you’ll know. That particular itch will be scratched. You’ll also order the Green Cult and an aftermarket stainless handle like @JacobW does, but that Blackland Blackbird SB will answer your questions.

It will at least be worth knowing instead of guessing. Whether you’ll smash up the rest of your razors to spare them the shame of existing as non-Blackbird safety razors or not, you’ll know. That particular itch will be scratched. You’ll also order the Green Cult and an aftermarket stainless handle like @JacobW does, but that Blackland Blackbird SB will answer your questions.

I'm hoping the Blackbird to be one of my last modern razors. I still want to add a few more vintage razors to my collection, but almost all of them are on the expensive side as well as on the bottom of my wish list and i'm in no hurry to get my hands on them for the time being.

Top Bottom