What's new

4 razors and one question - which one is the ''best''?

I have the Ti, Brass and Stainless Blackbirds and the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB. No Overlander or Green Cult. I also have several of the other razors suggested.

The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird is currently my #1 ranked DE razor. Efficient, smooth, effective, nimble and maneuverable.

Just my opinion. :)
How many times a week do you shave with the TI Blackbird?

Why would you need to get the titanium blackbird over the Stainless version ? If you don’t mind me asking
My SS Blackbird SB was my favorite razor fro about 20 vintage and modern razors I have owned. No other razor shaved me closer and with less effort. While the most efficient razor for me, it never felt dangerous.

So why did I also buy a Ti Bird? Blame it on these forums and the rave reviews. @never-stop-learning , @Hannah's Dad , @SgtCrppls and a host of others with impressive razor collections and knowledge all had such good things to say about the titanium version.

@never-stop-learning described the concept of nimble better tan I ever could, but the Ti Bird is Nimble. It shaves as well as the SS Bird and adds the nimbleness.

The SS version is a can’t miss winner and the titanium is even better.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My SS Blackbird SB was my favorite razor fro about 20 vintage and modern razors I have owned. No other razor shaved me closer and with less effort. While the most efficient razor for me, it never felt dangerous.

So why did I also buy a Ti Bird? Blame it on these forums and the rave reviews. @never-stop-learning , @Hannah's Dad , @SgtCrppls and a host of others with impressive razor collections and knowledge all had such good things to say about the titanium version.

@never-stop-learning described the concept of nimble better tan I ever could, but the Ti Bird is Nimble. It shaves as well as the SS Bird and adds the nimbleness.

Always happy to help. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How many times a week do you shave with the TI Blackbird?
It varies. I'm on a Vector run this week. I'll undoubtedly do a Ti Blackbird run next week.

These are my top two razors and either one could be my Daily Driver, although I do slightly favor the Vector as 1) it's even more nimble & maneuverable and 2) I really like the AC blade format. :)

Yes, a Ti Vector is on my list to get. :)

I do go through days here and there where I'm trying out new razors or doing a comparison when I don't use either the Vecror or the Ti Blackbird for a few days. It's nice when I get back to them. :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I just followed Dan who followed David. So it is David’s fault we now have great razors.

Doug
1658477055489.gif

Is it better because it’s more nimble and solely that ? Or other because it requires less work and feel to not cut yourself with more pressure on the cap at different angles ?

Is it better because it’s more nimble and solely that ? Or other because it requires less work and feel to not cut yourself with more pressure on the cap at different angles ?
For me it is the nimbleness. I generally use one razor every day rather than switching regularly. At home it is the titanium now and the SS when away. The SS feels much heavier and less nimble after using the titanium. It is by no means too heavy or difficult to control, it is just different. For me the only thing better than a SS Blackbird is the Titanium Blackbird.

I don’t find the feel much different. My Timeless Titanium 0.68 has what I consider a “soft” feel on my face. The Ti Bird does not have the same “soft” feel which I attribute to the increased blade exposure.

Both Blackbirds have reduced my 3 pass shaving time by about 30%. Truth be told, two passes with the Birds is smoother than three with most other razors. Because there is no irritation the third pass is just better than a cleanup.

I rarely cut myself with either. And then only a small weeper probably due to the small gap and not snagging skin.

It varies. I'm on a Vector run this week. I'll undoubtedly do a Ti Blackbird run next week.

These are my top two razors and either one could be my Daily Driver, although I do slightly favor the Vector as 1) it's even more nimble & maneuverable and 2) I really like the AC blade format. :)

Yes, a Ti Vector is on my list to get. :)

I do go through days here and there where I'm trying out new razors or doing a comparison when I don't use either the Vecror or the Ti Blackbird for a few days. It's nice when I get back to them. :)
Is there a notable efficiency difference between the Blackbird and the Vector? Difference in smoothness? Thanks!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Is there a notable efficiency difference between the Blackbird and the Vector? Difference in smoothness? Thanks!
Both the Vector and the Ti Blackbird are really smooth. Maybe a slight edge to the Vector.

What tilts things to the Vector (for me) is the edge in the nimble and maneuverable attributes. The Vector head is smaller and navigates my face really well.

But I am not talking about huge differences. The Vector is my favorite AC Blade razor. The Ti Blackbird is my favorite current DE razor. Slight edge to the Vector as my overall favorite.

One thing for sure, I love having and using both of these outstanding razors. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Both the Vector and the Ti Blackbird are really smooth. Maybe a slight edge to the Vector.

What tilts things to the Vector (for me) is the edge in the nimble and maneuverable attributes. The Vector head is smaller and navigates my face really well.

But I am not talking about huge differences. The Vector is my favorite AC Blade razor. The Ti Blackbird is my favorite current DE razor. Slight edge to the Vector as my overall favorite.

One thing for sure, I love having and using both of these outstanding razors. :)

Hope this helps. :)
Thank you!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know and I understand that you're trying to explain whatever works for you best and there's nothing wrong about it. I have a huge collection of vintage Gillette NEW models and the only ones that i'm missing are the Goodwills. The thing is that I never felt or understood the benefit of the open comb. They might be a bit more efficient, but that efficiency comes with the cost of comfort and smoothness.

I'm just looking for the ''best'' autopilot razor possible that combines crazy efficiency and crazy smoothness at the same time. I have tons of razors in between those requirements and they ain't very expensive, but if I pay $150 or more, I want the razor to be '' the one''.
I have a 1933 British NEW Raised Flat Bottom on the way... It looks like it just left Los Angeles yesterday. It should show up to our place in Florida sometime this week, I hope.

This will be the second DE for me. I've been posting about the British Flat Bottom Tech I purchased because of @Cal 's recommendation. I just love it... used it the second time yesterday.

I have a 1933 British NEW Raised Flat Bottom on the way... It looks like it just left Los Angeles yesterday. It should show up to our place in Florida sometime this week, I hope.

This will be the second DE for me. I've been posting about the British Flat Bottom Tech I purchased because of @Cal 's recommendation. I just love it... used it the second time yesterday.

The NEW RFB is a great shaver and most people like it a lot. My current favorite vintage Gillette razors are the New Improved and the #160 Goodwill. Depending on how preserved they are and whatever they have a box (also if it's well preserved or not) or not, they can be found fairly cheap (especially the #160 Goodwill). The good thing about the vintage razors is that most can be found quite cheap and even if you don't like a particular model, you can always sell it for what you've paid.

I would say one thing. The Yates 921 H plate should be part of this conversation. I ordered it in Ti, have had 2 SS and man is it efficient and smooth. It has a smaller head than the BB Ti (which I love too). Green cult is efficient but bulky for me. Wolfman, I am a WR1 fan and waiting to get my next one in Ti WR1. Won’t buy another. WR2 just because of the head size.

Vector - never used one.

I would also have to say, as crazy as this sounds to some, the Henson ++ and +++ are sneakily efficient and nimble. However, the +++ might have too much blade feel for some.

I shave every 1-2 days. Sometimes I let it grow for 7 days if I am not at work. On those 7 day growth patterns, I have tested the Yates and the BB. The Yates mows it down faster for me. But with 3 passes, it’s the same result.

Hope this helps a little.

Top Bottom