What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

Own.png

PXL_20210619_161718153-01.jpeg

Joseph Rodgers & Sons, Celebrated India Steel
XPEC Original (Not pictured because it's 3017)
Maggard's Black and White
Hazlett's Apothecary, 1888

The XPEC is gone. Second soap in two months to be no more! Hail QUADSAB! And I get to pick another "fun" soap for my regular rotation! What shall it be ...?

The Rodgers made its first appearance since The FFFMM. I found it a little "toothy" and may have to take it back to the Les Lateneuses if it doesn't smooth out with some extra stropping tomorrow.

Now ... To finish off the nub of Arko... It will be replaced by another stick from my stash, but still feels good to watch a soap die.

View attachment 1284025
XPEC Original (Not pictured because it's 3017)
Maggard's Black and White
Hazlett's Apothecary, 1888

The XPEC is gone. Second soap in two months to be no more! Hail QUADSAB! And I get to pick another "fun" soap for my regular rotation! What shall it be ...?

The Rodgers made its first appearance since The FFFMM. I found it a little "toothy" and may have to take it back to the Les Lateneuses if it doesn't smooth out with some extra stropping tomorrow.

Now ... To finish off the nub of Arko... It will be replaced by another stick from my stash, but still feels good to watch a soap die.

You finished 2 soaps aleady? Really good! :thumbup1:

I am about to finish the Proraso tube, but the Lea puck is still a long way from the end... Well, patience!

FINAL.png

June 21 - Micromatic Monday
PXL_20210621_150927977-01.jpeg

GEM Bullet Tip / GEM Personna SS PTFE
Arko
Rick Montalvo
Pinaud Clubman

Shave test for the Rodgers after a quick refresh on the Les Lat. A smooth, smooth first pass.

The Bullet Tip finished things off XTG and ATG for a beautiful BBS finish.

Gentlemen, in the last period i have reduced my forum activity and well, also comments in this thread, because with the covid danger reduced, i have less time, plus i was recently involved into a community project (completely unrelated) and got an invitation to another community too. So, at this point, i don't know myself whether i will have time or will to organize myself the September Quadsab. Maybe i will just take a Sabbatical from the forum altogether, because i won't be able to juggle different things at the same time. After all, the best Sabbatical is not to be in forum at all. Tried and tested.
:SNIP:

Nothing wrong with participating in real life. I hope it brings you blessings as well as those you are "projecting" with LOL

Still in. Going with the Vector for the next two weeks and hoping to get close to polishing off my B&M Reserve Cool. It's gotten hot and humid in D.C. and appreciating the menthol.

I also wanted to say congrats to everyone who's participating - we're durn close to the halfway mark!

Nothing wrong with participating in real life. I hope it brings you blessings as well as those you are "projecting" with LOL

Frankly, the less time you spend in the forum, the less you need the Sabbatical. I have been very busy since that post and i have completely forgotten about buying anything shaving related. Oh well... We will see...

Still in. Going with the Vector for the next two weeks and hoping to get close to polishing off my B&M Reserve Cool. It's gotten hot and humid in D.C. and appreciating the menthol.

I also wanted to say congrats to everyone who's participating - we're durn close to the halfway mark!

Heat and humidity rising here too. Fortunately, i am accustomed, because Burundi is tropical and humidity is about 80% most of the year. Although i don't really like high humidity combined with high heat, especially when living in city. I was thinking about opening a more "summery" cream too (with menthol or citrusy), but i am trying hold out until August, when i intend to use an Arko Max Comfort in vacation and try to make a dent to Lea puck in the meanwhile.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a nick on the chin today, again with Dorco ST301. I was careless, but i think this was my 2nd nick with Dorco ST301 in the Quadsab.

FINAL2.png

^ Strangely this supposedly boar-horse (i really can't see where the boar is, it looks like horse only) brush, didn't tangle today. I don't know why...

After the yesterday's nick, today i resorted to my "healing blade", aka Supermax Super Stainless, because it is incapable of cutting deeply and in deed, the nick didn't reopen. This strategy always pays for me. When you get cut, use a dull blade until the skin heals.

And, i declare the Proraso Blue FINISHED! In reality, i could have gone for 2-3 shaves still, but i am so bored of it, that i just threw it in the bin and i will open an Arko Max Comfort which has "orange" scent. Unless i find i have some older cream.

BYE, BYE, Proraso blue! :lol1: :a54:

FINAL.png

After the yesterday's nick, today i resorted to my "healing blade", aka Supermax Super Stainless, because it is incapable of cutting deeply and in deed, the nick didn't reopen. This strategy always pays for me. When you get cut, use a dull blade until the skin heals.

And, i declare the Proraso Blue FINISHED! In reality, i could have gone for 2-3 shaves still, but i am so bored of it, that i just threw it in the bin and i will open an Arko Max Comfort which has "orange" scent. Unless i find i have some older cream.

BYE, BYE, Proraso blue! :lol1: :a54:

View attachment 1285703
Finishing a product is oddly satisfying and sometimes bitter sweet.

Finishing a product is oddly satisfying and sometimes bitter sweet.

It is VERY satisfying. In my case bitter sweet only when i really really like it and i don't have a spare. Proraso blue i like enough, but not a cream that i will miss if i don't use for a long time. So, i am glad i finished it!

It is VERY satisfying. In my case bitter sweet only when i really really like it and i don't have a spare. Proraso blue i like enough, but not a cream that i will miss if i don't use for a long time. So, i am glad i finished it!
I have been wanting to try some of the proraso line since I started this adventure but have yet to do so. I seem to be drawn more to the green and red.

PXL_20210622_152022228-01.jpeg

PAX 178
Arko (not pictured)
CRV
TOBS Eaton College

Finished off the Arko this morning! That's three soaps in two months.

Replaced the Arko with a new Arko Stick (always in my rotation). And, after careful consideration, replaced the XPEC with DG Trismegistus.

Still in.
Razor: Gillette SA109 Black Beauty
Blade: PolSilver
Brush: 22mm SHD Maggard re-knot
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: MWF
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Have a great day y’all!
29BE54A9-0B4D-4749-9E4C-C6E3929907F4.jpeg

@RumpleBearskin question(s) for you sir. Knowing what you know now about Straight razors what would be your recommendation to a newbie interested in starting down the SR path? Where would you start as far as equipment goes? I am quite interested in trying my hand with Straights and I would like to hopefully figure out a good starting place before the sabbatical ends.

@Jmp63:

Happy to oblige with what little I know...

My recommendation would be to start with a truly shave ready razor (or two - see below). I have some restored vintage blades available at (IMHO) reasonable prices. You can find truly cheap razors out there, but it's questionable that you can shave with them. By the time you get them tuned up, you've spent more than if you had gotten a shave ready restoration. I've heard that Whipped Dog also offers reasonably priced vintage razors, but have no experience with them personally. The BST is also often s good source from reputable gentlemen.

Then there's a strop. Tony Miller makes great strops at very reasonable prices. I believe Whipped Dog also has a "Poor Man's" strop for relatively cheap. Don't go expensive since you *will* nick and cut it up as you learn.

That's really all you need to start, but it will soon be insufficient. After 15, or quite likely fewer, shaves the edge will need "refreshed". That takes a barber's hone, a 12k stone, or a "finishing" stone, and the knowledge of how to use them. That, or you must send it out to a "honemiester". (That's where the second razor comes in, so you have one to shave with while the other is off being touched up.)

If you want more information or to know what inventory I have available, feel free to PM me. I'm even open to a Zoom meeting if a real chat would help.

@Jmp63:

Happy to oblige with what little I know...

My recommendation would be to start with a truly shave ready razor (or two - see below). I have some restored vintage blades available at (IMHO) reasonable prices. You can find truly cheap razors out there, but it's questionable that you can shave with them. By the time you get them tuned up, you've spent more than if you had gotten a shave ready restoration. I've heard that Whipped Dog also offers reasonably priced vintage razors, but have no experience with them personally. The BST is also often s good source from reputable gentlemen.

Then there's a strop. Tony Miller makes great strops at very reasonable prices. I believe Whipped Dog also has a "Poor Man's" strop for relatively cheap. Don't go expensive since you *will* nick and cut it up as you learn.

That's really all you need to start, but it will soon be insufficient. After 15, or quite likely fewer, shaves the edge will need "refreshed". That takes a barber's hone, a 12k stone, or a "finishing" stone, and the knowledge of how to use them. That, or you must send it out to a "honemiester". (That's where the second razor comes in, so you have one to shave with while the other is off being touched up.)

If you want more information or to know what inventory I have available, feel free to PM me. I'm even open to a Zoom meeting if a real chat would help.
Wow! Thank you so much. That is super helpful information. I will be sure to reach out via PM. It’s looking like I need to tread very carefully otherwise I may end up falling down another rabbit hole and failing out of the quadsab and year long sabbatical. 😬😬 Soon as this year is over though, I’m thinking I may try my hand and the SR shaving! Thank you again @RumpleBearskin!

Top Bottom