What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

Well, two tidbits:

1) Blacklands is saying only limited quantities of their new razor will be available for the next several months, so looks like my exception may be moot - I doubt I'll get to purchase it before September. No biggie. But now I'm wondering if it's allowed under the rules to swap out exceptions in such cases - i.e., the original exception is no longer available. But then again, it would better fit the spirit of the QUADSAB to just suck it up and just go on with no exceptions.

2) I'm within a few days of killing my first soap puck amid the QUADSAB. It's a good feeling. The Zingari Explorer has been a good soap and I will miss it, but there is something of a thrill in actually reducing the stash.
CVH MK No. 22 in her new bone scales
Simpsons Duke 3 in Best
Tabac till it kills me

I would agree that the spirit of a restraint/sabbatical would imply no swapping exceptions.

But... If I recall correctly, we allowed very loosely defined exceptions such as "a new razor". Personally I think that's a bit broad, but "substituting" within the broad statement would be ok. Guess that kind of leaves it to how you framed your exception statement. @Burundian Hawk's thread. His call on the rule interpretations.
Yeah, I first said my exception would be the Blackland Era razor. My swap would still be a razor (one that's currently on the used market). But I'm leaning toward just waiting until September.

Gentlemen, the amended rule on exceptions on page 2, states:

AMENDEMENT OF EXCEPTION NO. 2. New wording:

1. One named item of your choice. This is your personal exception. You must name the item before the start of the Sabbatical. The item can be specific or generic (ex. a razor, a brush etc), at the member's discretion. Yearly Sabbatical members who wish to join, automatically carry on the same choice they made for the yearly Sabbatical, unless they have already used their exception before joining QUADSAB. In this case they may choose a new exception.

The exception was modified to include "generic" items, to match the rules of the yearly sabbatical. Because there i saw that people often state "a brush" or "a razor", without specifying which one.

Now, i didn't start the thread to be "shave sheriff" or "shave judge". We are all grown adults and this thread is to help reduce purchases and build up "stamina" and at the same time, help one another to make it through. I included both "generic" and "specific" exception, to allow for 2 different "difficulty levels" or "restraint levels", if you prefer. Someone more strict with himself, can prefer a specific exception, someone who is undecided or wants more room for choice, can prefer the "generic". This was my reasoning behind leaving both options open.

In @Bjlefebvre 's case, going strictly by the rule, i would say it is too late to change exception. But, in a more "humane" interpretation, one could say that he fell victim of the rule before the amendment and if he had preferred the "generic" exception, now he could still use it. So, like i said, i am not here to be the "shave police". Ultimately, it is a decision that @Bjlefebvre must do for himself. If he feels Ok with changing the exception, it is fine with me, especially since this is the 1st Quadsab and the rule was amended creating confusion. I certainly am not here to do the "sheriff". I am Burundian, i take things loosely. To me, it is "forgivable", at least for the 1st Quadsab, due to the rules having been modified. At the end, he would have spent money once, he can still do it once. So the substance doesn't change. The purpose of the Sabbatical is to limit purchases, not to make the rules happy. It is a matter of consciousness i would say, if you ask me. If it was the 2nd Quadsab, where i intend to make the rules "proper" since the beginning, i would be more inclined to be more rigid. "Attenuating circumstances" for the 1st Quadsab, a lawyer would claim.

So, if you ask me, @Bjlefebvre, it is your choice. Others can express their opinion if they wish.

Myself, i intend to use "generic" exception in the next Quadsab, because you never know...

Happy shaves, gentlemen!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FinalFinal.png

In action with Proraso blue. My second best badger. A 2.5 euro cream and a 22 euro brush. As good as anything else out there.

s1.png

Just for the record, I cast no aspersions. IMHO it's a personal choice, assuming the initiator doesn't want to be Shave Sheriff.

I agree. When i started the thread, i didn't do it to be the "sheriff". I consider myself just yet another of the voyagers of this "voyage". Simply someone had to write the initiating thread. So i don't consider my opinion as "final", especially when there isn't a "blatant" breach of the rules. And like in real law, there is the letter of the law and there is the "spirit" of the law. The spirit of the Sabbatical is the one i wrote earlier, not to enforce "military camp" rules. And i don't remember being voted "sheriff" either. I just started a thread and said "free to join". I believe all members have at least as good if not better understanding of the english language, compared to me. And we are all adults.

Being Shave Sheriff would be pretty sweet if the person got a tin star. Maybe one with sharp edges to keep the beard trim.

Yes, like a tin star with razor sharp edges! :lol1: At any case, like i said, nobody voted me sheriff and i find the whole sheriff idea a bit too much, especially in something that ultimately is all about a man's consciousness and honor. Because theoretically, one can join, breach the rules 100 times, say nothing and finish "successfully" the Sabbatical. So what is the "sheriff" for? Ultimately, it is all up to one's own judgment and consciousness...

Or if you wish to have "sheriff", we can make a vote amongst the members of the Sabbatical on whether your exception can change or not. But, personally, i don't see the need for "sheriff". Even more so, for a self-proclaimed one. Each man's consciousness should be his own sheriff.

I mean, ok, if you come and say "i bought 5 soaps, i am not sure if i can do it", you have completely missed the spirit of the sabbatical. :lol1:

In the next Quadsab's rules, i will also include a new rule. More or less, that in case of dispute or ethical dilemma, the interested member or other member may ask for a vote amongst Quadsabers. Say, a 2 day period to vote. So there, we will have an optional "sheriff" too, but it will be a "democratic" sheriff. I hope you all gentlemen agree? If not, please say otherwise.

Secret ballot!

I thought of making secret poll, but the problem with the secret poll, is you can't control who votes (any lurker or troll can vote just to have fun) and there is no justification of the vote. For instance, someone can vote just because of personal grudge or get his "friends" to come vote in his favor. With an open vote, at least each voter has also a public responsibility for his vote. Like in the UN assembly. Country representatives vote openly and their vote is known to everyone.

I think it is best. Besides, this will be a failsafe only. The key word is "may". In this way, the primary method to solve an issue, remains the personal judgement (one can be sheriff of himself). If however the interested party is undecided and wants his "fate" to be decided by his fellow "peers", he can then ask for a vote. The same if some other Quadsab member feels that another Quadsaber is taking too many "liberties" with the rules and this disturbs the spirit of the Quadsab. In case someone is a "troll" (every forum has one) or simply abuses the rules to the point others get annoyed.

Works for me. B&B-ers tend to be pretty good at policing themselves.
I like it gents!

Well, then we have a majority gentlemen and i will include it in the next rules.

Gentlemen, here is the proposed rule to add to the next Quadsab rules:

Resolution of dilemmas/disputes concerning rules interpretation:

The spirit of the Sabbatical is to help its members to avoid purchases and build up stamina. As such, it exists to serve its own members and ultimately, each member should hold himself accountable and use his own judgement about the compliance with the rules. In case of doubt on rule interpretation, a member should be able to decide on his own, according to consciousness, since his decision, ultimately affects mainly himself.

However, if a member is undecided or has ethical dilemma that can't or doesn't wish to resolve on his own, then he can ask for a vote amongst the members of the sabbatical. The active participants will have voting right and a 2 days window will be provided in order to vote. A vote can also be asked by any other member that deems disturbing or blatant violation of the rules, the behavior of another member.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to suggest amendments or rephrase in proper english the points that i must have written poorly. I post it now, under public debate, so that before the next Quadsab starts, this will be settled properly and the rule will be ready to use.

Gentlemen, here is the proposed rule to add to the next Quadsab rules:

Resolution of dilemmas/disputes concerning rules interpretation:

The spirit of the Sabbatical is to help its members to avoid purchases and build up stamina. As such, it exists to serve its own members and ultimately, each member should hold himself accountable and use his own judgement about the compliance with the rules. In case of doubt on rule interpretation, a member should be able to decide on his own, according to consciousness, since his decision, ultimately affects mainly himself.

However, if a member is undecided or has an ethical dilemma they can't or don't wish to resolve on their own, they can ask for a vote amongst the members of the sabbatical. The active participants will have voting right and a 2 days window will be provided in order to vote. A vote can also be asked by any other member that deems disturbing or blatant violation of the rules, the behavior of another member.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to suggest amendments or rephrase in proper english the points that i must have written poorly. I post it now, under public debate, so that before the next Quadsab starts, this will be settled properly and the rule will be ready to use.
I like it! I edited a couple words to help it flow better.
I like that it’s a police yourself, but the option is there for the community to weight in if requested. Well done!

I'm RumpleBearskin, and I approve this amendment. (Always wanted to say that.)

And on more weighty matters, after the shave test of the newly rescaled CVH yesterday, I went back to the Koraat today. The remainder of the setup was Arko (stick), a big Rick Montalvo silvertip brush, and Clubman.

Still in as we make it way through month 2.

I like it! I edited a couple words to help it flow better.
I like that it’s a police yourself, but the option is there for the community to weight in if requested. Well done!

I'm RumpleBearskin, and I approve this amendment. (Always wanted to say that.)

And on more weighty matters, after the shave test of the newly rescaled CVH yesterday, I went back to the Koraat today. The remainder of the setup was Arko (stick), a big Rick Montalvo silvertip brush, and Clubman.

Still in as we make it way through month 2.

I am glad that there is consensus. Dear @Jmp63 , i will fully adopt your modified text. As a matter of fact, i have merged the amended exception and the new rule in a single text, ready to be used for the next Quadsab. I am also glad you like it. Like i said, i was neither elected sheriff nor do i want to be "sheriff". It is a shaving forum, i come to have a good laugh and everyone is adult. The sabbatical at the end is a bet with yourself. So frankly, to me, if someone spends $100 on razor Y, instead of razor X, it makes no difference, if it's Ok for him. I will not lose my sleep, that is for sure! We are adults. If someone else feels otherwise, by all means, we can vote.

The Quadsab will most likely live until the end of the year. In December i will make a poll about whether people prefer 3 or 4 month sabbatical. It is likely that the 3 month will win. I will be happy to join as regular member under someone else's organization. I will organize the 3 month sabbatical only in case nobody else wants to. I prefer having more liberty to fail. :001_tongu With the Quadsab i feel more pressed not to fail, because it was my "invention"...

Until then though, since Quadsab was my "invention", i may as well enjoy things the way i like, meaning, loosely, with broader consensus and without me having to play "sheriff". And since the majority of you gentlemen agree on this way of thinking, why not... Like Tubbs in "Miami Vice" once said, "Cool runnin'!". :laugh: Enjoy the voyage while it lasts.

Anyway, if someone else has more ideas about rules or amendments, please say so. Also, the fact that i organized the opening post, doesn't mean i must necessarily do always the updates. If someone for example fails the sabbatical and someone else sees it first or if i disappear for days, feel free to update the list of active participants on your own.

Still in.
Razor: Karve SB-B
Blade: PIR (2)
Brush: RR400MB
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Haslinger Aloe Vera
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
The Haslinger is terrific soap! I will definitely be stocking up on the stuff post sabbatical! Have a great day y’all!
787B082C-90EF-4E49-9E64-2BC3DEEFFFC0.jpeg

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
SOTD was a Razorock Lupo 0.72 with Tibam Ti handle loaded with a Polsilver Extra Stainless, some Shannon's Soaps Barbershop on the Wolf Whiskers malachite Scorpion SB brush with a Maggards 28mm SHD Bulb, and some Dollar Store Brut clone AS in the vintage Avon Windjammer decanter.

Happy shaves and a good weekend to all....

1622904549666.png

Top Bottom