What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

Well that went by remarkably quickly and easily... (Says the guy that's already used his exception. 🤣🤣🤣)

The month did pass easily for me too (after buying soaps in April). Well, think of it this way. If you weren't in Quadsab, would you have bought other things too? Probably yes! And like the legendary @Owen Bawn would say, with Quadsab, you can only fail 3 times a year! So you have more incentive not to fail! And you have only 1 exception in 4 months. It is not bad at all, if you think about it. You go on a diet, but without starving. :lol1:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Did I just hear my name??!?!? Hello, Quadsabbers. Congrats to you- you're now a quarter through the quarter- there's some clever phrase about quarter quads but I just spent 10 minutes trying to think of something witty but I got nothin'. I stop in to read this thread a few times a week. Some of our best talent posts in this thread. Take care lads, and come on over to the Brush forum and post in the Synthetic Summer thread whenever you reach for a brush sporting a petroleum based fibre. And stay sabbed!

Did I just hear my name??!?!? Hello, Quadsabbers. Congrats to you- you're now a quarter through the quarter- there's some clever phrase about quarter quads but I just spent 10 minutes trying to think of something witty but I got nothin'. I stop in to read this thread a few times a week. Some of our best talent posts in this thread. Take care lads, and come on over to the Brush forum and post in the Synthetic Summer thread whenever you reach for a brush sporting a petroleum based fibre. And stay sabbed!

Dear sir (when will you go back to being Richard?!), thank you and fear not, your posts are always witty! I just saw the brush thread. I couldn't go an entire month just with synthetics and by sheer luck this month i have only 1 synthetic in rotation, but i will be happy to post it there too, when its time comes again. My army of Yaqi synthetics is sleeping in the barracks this month, i can't disturb them. They are so many that they could organize a coup! :lol1:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Dear sir (when will you go back to being Richard?!), thank you and fear not, your posts are always witty! I just saw the brush thread. I couldn't go an entire month just with synthetics and by sheer luck this month i have only 1 synthetic in rotation, but i will be happy to post it there too, when its time comes again. My army of Yaqi synthetics is sleeping in the barracks this month, i can't disturb them. They are so many that they could organize a coup! :lol1:
There's no requirement that you have to use a synth each and every day- we just want to celebrate them when you do use them. A Richard Harris photo will return soon, although you need to know that the beagle is offended. He is convinced you don't like him.

There's no requirement that you have to use a synth each and every day- we just want to celebrate them when you do use them. A Richard Harris photo will return soon, although you need to know that the beagle is offended. He is convinced you don't like him.

Well, i have the Muhle dark synthetic in rotation this month, i will post the photo in the "summer synthetic" too. Well, i am prepared to give to the beagle one of my backup dogfood bowls, if this will make it happy and have Richard back! :lol1:

I'm still in. But I will say to seriously take heed of the warning against viewing the BSOT thread. I literally gave it a 90-second look and was sorely tempted by a used Razorock razor that I have an interest in. But I clicked off the site and took a cold shower (figuratively).

Still in. I haven’t shaved in a few days due to some traveling and a hectic schedule. It was nice to mow down some whiskers.
Razor: FOCS
Blade: PIR
Brush: Sagrada Familia
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: Haslinger Aloe Vera
Have a great day y’all!
768367E4-DD85-4EBC-922C-DCC4456A1D5C.jpeg

The FOCS is the perfect example of a YMMV razor. So many folks have raved about it, I really wanted to like it, but it always left the area below my lip bloodier than ground round.
I hear you on that. I’ve gone back and forth on the razor myself. Some days it’s amazing other days it’s meh. I was told over in the FOCS thread that it’s Italian, so it has “character” lol. One of the sides seems to shave closer the other seems to be smoother 🤷‍♂️. I may or may not get rid of it at some point.

I'm still in. But I will say to seriously take heed of the warning against viewing the BSOT thread. I literally gave it a 90-second look and was sorely tempted by a used Razorock razor that I have an interest in. But I clicked off the site and took a cold shower (figuratively).

I avoid carefully all the big "what did you buy today" threads, big SOTDs with photos, etc. I have also developed a new tactic. I am not ready for full abstinence yet. There are some soaps that i want to hoard and some others that i want to try, because they are reasonably priced (for the time being, prices go up constantly) and the scents i will probably like. For instance i will buy more Muhles for sure.

But, i make plans for September's restock period. At that time, some shops traditionally also give discount as "welcome back from the vacations". So i will hit quick and hard! :laugh: So, instead of feeling urge to buy now, i plan on what i will buy in September. In reality, my soap stock, will increase. BUT, i hope that once i get satisfied with them too, i will calm down. Also, the Quadsab, helps you build long term resistance. Which is important in the long run. Before you can run, you must learn to walk! Hopefully, after September's purchases, i will have a more clear idea of what soaps i will want to keep buying (when i will eventually finish those hoarded).

As for brushes, right now i have no urge. The only thought that has crossed my mind in a synthetic, but i don't know, i have too many already and it's quite expensive being american (€29 for a PAA aerolite).

------------------------------------------

Back to today's excellent shave:

ddd.png

The brush is a horse/boar mixture (spanish of course). Amazing face feel, like a silvertip. The only drawback is that at the end of the shave, it needs combing, because the horse hair tangles already while bowl lathering. And it works just as well as other, much more expensive animal brushes. Keep in mind that i semi-bowl lather. I finish the final consistency face lathering. Still, a couple of nice lather peaks visible. Money don't make the lather, you do...

1.png

I avoid carefully all the big "what did you buy today" threads, big SOTDs with photos, etc. I have also developed a new tactic. I am not ready for full abstinence yet. There are some soaps that i want to hoard and some others that i want to try, because they are reasonably priced (for the time being, prices go up constantly) and the scents i will probably like. For instance i will buy more Muhles for sure.

But, i make plans for September's restock period. At that time, some shops traditionally also give discount as "welcome back from the vacations". So i will hit quick and hard! :laugh: So, instead of feeling urge to buy now, i plan on what i will buy in September. In reality, my soap stock, will increase. BUT, i hope that once i get satisfied with them too, i will calm down. Also, the Quadsab, helps you build long term resistance. Which is important in the long run. Before you can run, you must learn to walk! Hopefully, after September's purchases, i will have a more clear idea of what soaps i will want to keep buying (when i will eventually finish those hoarded).

As for brushes, right now i have no urge. The only thought that has crossed my mind in a synthetic, but i don't know, i have too many already and it's quite expensive being american (€29 for a PAA aerolite).

------------------------------------------

Back to today's excellent shave:

View attachment 1275910

The brush is a horse/boar mixture (spanish of course). Amazing face feel, like a silvertip. The only drawback is that at the end of the shave, it needs combing, because the horse hair tangles already while bowl lathering. And it works just as well as other, much more expensive animal brushes. Keep in mind that i semi-bowl lather. I finish the final consistency face lathering. Still, a couple of nice lather peaks visible. Money don't make the lather, you do...

View attachment 1275912
Those SOTD posts are want inducing.

I thought you already had synthetics? Do you not? No matter, just curious.

Your pics are quite nice as well. Fancy camera? Or fancy editing software? (I know NOTHING about photography)

Off topic, but if I may be so bold as to inquire.... where are you located now? I know you mentioned where you are from, but I get the idea you are not there now, and I was just curious. Some call it inquisitive. Still others may call it nosey LOL.

Never mind on the "synthetic". I reread and seen my error causing confusion.

Those SOTD posts are want inducing.

I thought you already had synthetics? Do you not? No matter, just curious.

Your pics are quite nice as well. Fancy camera? Or fancy editing software? (I know NOTHING about photography)

Off topic, but if I may be so bold as to inquire.... where are you located now? I know you mentioned where you are from, but I get the idea you are not there now, and I was just curious. Some call it inquisitive. Still others may call it nosey LOL.

Exactly! The more SOTD you look, the more "strange ideas" you get. :scared:

Of course i have synthetics. More than 10, but who counts. That's the problem... You think "i want that handle too" and they are so cheap and before you know it, you have an army of them! :lol:

No, no fancy camera. The photos are simply made by my smart phone who has quite a mundane (and bad) camera, as a matter of fact. But, i did buy a small "lightbox" or whatever it is called in english, because it helps so much to get a good light. Light is very important and i am incapable of making a properly illuminated photo by my own. So, having something that makes the light "proper" helps a lot at least in getting the colors right. I am no photography expert either... I am better at editing the background than in taking actual photographs. You can change background even using Paint3D which is free in Windows10. You need some experience, steady hand and a hawk's eye! I don't have photoshop or else i would make much more perfect background changes. I do have GIMP, which is free and powerful, but i use it only for "touch ups", because it is complicated.

I hope, dear sir, that you will forgive me, but i prefer to keep my exact location unknown, for my own good reasons. But suffice to say, i am in western Europe. It is not about being nosey. It is just that it is best for me to keep it "incognito". :laugh:

Exactly! The more SOTD you look, the more "strange ideas" you get. :scared:

Of course i have synthetics. More than 10, but who counts. That's the problem... You think "i want that handle too" and they are so cheap and before you know it, you have an army of them! :lol:

No, no fancy camera. The photos are simply made by my smart phone who has quite a mundane (and bad) camera, as a matter of fact. But, i did buy a small "lightbox" or whatever it is called in english, because it helps so much to get a good light. Light is very important and i am incapable of making a properly illuminated photo by my own. So, having something that makes the light "proper" helps a lot at least in getting the colors right. I am no photography expert either... I am better at editing the background than in taking actual photographs. You can change background even using Paint3D which is free in Windows10. You need some experience, steady hand and a hawk's eye! I don't have photoshop or else i would make much more perfect background changes.

I hope, dear sir, that you will forgive me, but i prefer to keep my exact location unknown, for my own good reasons. But suffice to say, i am in western Europe. It is not about being nosey. It is just that it is best for me to keep it "incognito". :laugh:
No worries. I guess I think of "where are you located" as 2 options...in USA not in USA lol.

Anyway, the "steady hand" is quite hard for me. I shake like a dog passing peach seeds. Not quite sure why. I was tracking nutrition info for a while and had an app on my phone with a scanner to scan bar codes and automatically enter nutritional info. It always failed to scan and told me "hold phone steady". If only I could, you silly app, if only I could.

No worries. I guess I think of "where are you located" as 2 options...in USA not in USA lol.

Anyway, the "steady hand" is quite hard for me. I shake like a dog passing peach seeds. Not quite sure why. I was tracking nutrition info for a while and had an app on my phone with a scanner to scan bar codes and automatically enter nutritional info. It always failed to scan and told me "hold phone steady". If only I could, you silly app, if only I could.

:lol: Fortunately, i have always had a steady hand. I was also for years a computer enthusiast, so i am very comfortable with precise screen movements with the mouse.

Well, two tidbits:

1) Blacklands is saying only limited quantities of their new razor will be available for the next several months, so looks like my exception may be moot - I doubt I'll get to purchase it before September. No biggie. But now I'm wondering if it's allowed under the rules to swap out exceptions in such cases - i.e., the original exception is no longer available. But then again, it would better fit the spirit of the QUADSAB to just suck it up and just go on with no exceptions.

2) I'm within a few days of killing my first soap puck amid the QUADSAB. It's a good feeling. The Zingari Explorer has been a good soap and I will miss it, but there is something of a thrill in actually reducing the stash.

PXL_20210603_151235070-01.jpeg

CVH MK No. 22 in her new bone scales
Simpsons Duke 3 in Best
Tabac till it kills me

But now I'm wondering if it's allowed under the rules to swap out exceptions in such cases - i.e., the original exception is no longer available.

I would agree that the spirit of a restraint/sabbatical would imply no swapping exceptions.

But... If I recall correctly, we allowed very loosely defined exceptions such as "a new razor". Personally I think that's a bit broad, but "substituting" within the broad statement would be ok. Guess that kind of leaves it to how you framed your exception statement. @Burundian Hawk's thread. His call on the rule interpretations.

Yeah, I first said my exception would be the Blackland Era razor. My swap would still be a razor (one that's currently on the used market). But I'm leaning toward just waiting until September.

Top Bottom