What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
SOTD

1621714935764.png

Still holding fast. Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Gentlemen, silly question, but when you "follow" some other members, do you get alerts about their posts or something? Because i get nothing.
I do not know anything about "following" but I get alerts for new posts to thread I have posted in, when someone quotes my post, when someone reacts to my post, and when someone mentions me in a post. That is all I know about that. But I am not a technology person so i am not much help. Hopefully someone can just tell you to tweak a setting or something

Gentlemen, silly question, but when you "follow" some other members, do you get alerts about their posts or something? Because i get nothing.

I believe so, but to be honest, I am not sure. Most of those I follow post almost exclusively to the same threads I am "watching".

Today's shave ... GEMonday again.
PXL_20210524_150841565-01.jpeg

GEM Junior /GEM Personna SS PTFE
Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Hazlett's Apothecary 1888

Very nice! Very, very nice.

I do not know anything about "following" but I get alerts for new posts to thread I have posted in, when someone quotes my post, when someone reacts to my post, and when someone mentions me in a post. That is all I know about that. But I am not a technology person so i am not much help. Hopefully someone can just tell you to tweak a setting or something

Thank you sir. I do get alerts for the things you say, but i thought i would also get something for those you "follow". Oh, well... Thank you anyway.

----------------------------------------------

No photo today. I am getting lazy. I can't wait for the next month to come to put new brushes in rotation. But, another nice shave with the Epsilon horse and Proraso blue.

Thank you sir. I do get alerts for the things you say, but i thought i would also get something for those you "follow". Oh, well... Thank you anyway.

----------------------------------------------

No photo today. I am getting lazy. I can't wait for the next month to come to put new brushes in rotation. But, another nice shave with the Epsilon horse and Proraso blue.
Well In the name of science, I have followed you. Go post in some random dead thread and see if I get an alert LOL

You are too kind, sir! I made 2 posts. Let me know if you get any alerts. Please feel free to unfollow afterwards. :thumbsup:
No alerts for anything that I was not already being alerted of before your "foloowing" such *** threads I have posted in or you reacting to my post.

HOWEVER! If I click on my avatar at the very top of the page, it opens a drop window. Then I click on "News Feed" in that window and it is full of nothing but every post you ever made, reacted to, or possibly read LOL. NOthing in there but page after page of your content. You are the only one I am "following" so I have to assume that you have to go to your "News Feed" in order to find your followed persons posts.

HOpe that helped. I know I learned a bit about our forum that I did not already know LOL

I dug through the settings and found that I have all "alerts" turned on it seems so I do not think there is a setting to "turn on" to get followed alerts

No alerts for anything that I was not already being alerted of before your "foloowing" such *** threads I have posted in or you reacting to my post.

HOWEVER! If I click on my avatar at the very top of the page, it opens a drop window. Then I click on "News Feed" in that window and it is full of nothing but every post you ever made, reacted to, or possibly read LOL. NOthing in there but page after page of your content. You are the only one I am "following" so I have to assume that you have to go to your "News Feed" in order to find your followed persons posts.

HOpe that helped. I know I learned a bit about our forum that I did not already know LOL

I dug through the settings and found that I have all "alerts" turned on it seems so I do not think there is a setting to "turn on" to get followed alerts

Thank you very much,sir ! I would have never imagined to look at that setting! Much obliged, sir! Please, feel free to unfollow, you have already been more helpful than i have imagined possible! :thumbup1:

Thank you very much,sir ! I would have never imagined to look at that setting! Much obliged, sir! Please, feel free to unfollow, you have already been more helpful than i have imagined possible! :thumbup1:
I cannot sing, dance, play an instrument, paint, draw....... etc. etc. The only way I feel any "purpose" in this life or "gift" that I may have been blessed with is by helping others when I can. So you are most welcome and thank you for making it feel beneficial to have gotten out of bed this morning HAHAHA

I cannot sing, dance, play an instrument, paint, draw....... etc. etc. The only way I feel any "purpose" in this life or "gift" that I may have been blessed with is by helping others when I can. So you are most welcome and thank you for making it feel beneficial to have gotten out of bed this morning HAHAHA

Well, then sir, allow me to say that you are both very helpful and with a sense of humor! :biggrin1:

I am practicing for next quarter. I passed up a razor that was "cheap" and one I had been wanting for quite some time. Want just because. It does nothing more than any of my other very similar razors. Just has a different name. So I left it on the shelf and walked away to buy my work lunch for the week. 4 cans of beans and 4 cans of fruit. Eat all week at work with no microwave needed and for less than $15 bucks! Tasty and delicious? Perhaps not exactly. Satiating and nutritious? Yep And CHEAP! HAHA

(In case you do not know me, when it comes to food, I am both cheap and lazy haha)

I am practicing for next quarter. I passed up a razor that was "cheap" and one I had been wanting for quite some time. Want just because. It does nothing more than any of my other very similar razors. Just has a different name. So I left it on the shelf and walked away to buy my work lunch for the week. 4 cans of beans and 4 cans of fruit. Eat all week at work with no microwave needed and for less than $15 bucks! Tasty and delicious? Perhaps not exactly. Satiating and nutritious? Yep And CHEAP! HAHA

(In case you do not know me, when it comes to food, I am both cheap and lazy haha)

Dear sir, worry not, amongst Burundians, "cheap" has a very vague meaning. In wetshaving, forums like this, generate exactly "needs" which aren't really needs. Fortunately, in razors, i agree with you. It's all about how much it bends the blade and how much aggressive it is. There is no way a more expensive razor can guarantee a better shave. Most likely, another blade can do that, but not the razor. About the rest, it is all about variety. Variety can come not necessarily by buying always €100 brushes. Even the best brush, can become boring using it often. Same for soaps.

Speaking of best brush, this is my best badger. Yaqi silvertip. Soft but with medium backbone. I have other brushes that cost much more and the Yaqi beats them hands down for me. Still, if i use it often, i get tired of it. But it is so good i ordered a backup. Which, i haven't used, but it seems to me that the tips are different. Which has me thinking that maybe i should order one more...Maybe in the restock window? Who knows...It is just an idea. One of those that you don't need. :laugh:

An excellent shave today, although it was with a blade that i never really grew fond of (Personna red).

Final2.png

Dear sir, worry not, amongst Burundians, "cheap" has a very vague meaning. In wetshaving, forums like this, generate exactly "needs" which aren't really needs. Fortunately, in razors, i agree with you. It's all about how much it bends the blade and how much aggressive it is. There is no way a more expensive razor can guarantee a better shave. Most likely, another blade can do that, but not the razor. About the rest, it is all about variety. Variety can come not necessarily by buying always €100 brushes. Even the best brush, can become boring using it often. Same for soaps.

Speaking of best brush, this is my best badger. Yaqi silvertip. Soft but with medium backbone. I have other brushes that cost much more and the Yaqi beats them hands down for me. Still, if i use it often, i get tired of it. But it is so good i ordered a backup. Which, i haven't used, but it seems to me that the tips are different. Which has me thinking that maybe i should order one more...Maybe in the restock window? Who knows...It is just an idea. One of those that you don't need. :laugh:

An excellent shave today, although it was with a blade that i never really grew fond of (Personna red).

View attachment 1271938
With a DE razor you can switch up blades fairly cheaply and make life interesting. I use a straight razor ALMOST exclusively. I have a few soaps that I "rotate". I hide most of them from my sight. Use just 1 or 2 for a while. Then pull out an odd ball and WOOOHOOO its like shave vacation LOL. I have several DE razors and so I pull one of them out from time to time to spice things up as well.

I agree that no matter how fancy or extravagant something is.... if you use it often enough, it just becomes the "normal" and is no longer exciting. Like cheese cake. Eaten once every couple months or twice a year.... MAN that is good stuff. EWvery night for a week....wellll take it or leave it haha

With a DE razor you can switch up blades fairly cheaply and make life interesting. I use a straight razor ALMOST exclusively. I have a few soaps that I "rotate". I hide most of them from my sight. Use just 1 or 2 for a while. Then pull out an odd ball and WOOOHOOO its like shave vacation LOL. I have several DE razors and so I pull one of them out from time to time to spice things up as well.

I agree that no matter how fancy or extravagant something is.... if you use it often enough, it just becomes the "normal" and is no longer exciting. Like cheese cake. Eaten once every couple months or twice a year.... MAN that is good stuff. EWvery night for a week....wellll take it or leave it haha

Exactly! Would Christmas have this air of festivity, if everyday was Christmas? Variety is more important than having expensive gear.

And speaking of variety, today it was time for a different razor. Two shaves with the same razor seems to be about my personal limit, though I did complete 31 for the Fixed Four For March Madness this year.
PXL_20210525_154518050-01.jpeg

Frederick Reynolds, The Old English Razor
MWF
Simpsons Duke 3 in Best
Old Spice Classic

Oh! It looks like I may be using my exception before too long. Work has started on my Drew Dick custom.
received_471764634048519.jpeg

It looks a little rough at the moment. :lol:

I'm still in. This week's shaves:

Karve Brass closed "D" plate.
Gillette Rubie blade
Wet Shaving Company Fresh Vetiver soap and aftershave
Guerllaine Vetiver Extreme EdT.

WSC's "Rustic" vegan soaps are among my favorites. Fresh Vetiver was a limited edition I picked up last year. This is one of the soaps I hope to 3017 during this QUADSAB, but WCS pucks can take quite a while to diminish.

PXL_20210522_141227398.PORTRAIT.jpg

And speaking of variety, today it was time for a different razor. Two shaves with the same razor seems to be about my personal limit, though I did complete 31 for the Fixed Four For March Madness this year.

Frederick Reynolds, The Old English Razor
MWF
Simpsons Duke 3 in Best
Old Spice Classic

Oh! It looks like I may be using my exception before too long. Work has started on my Drew Dick custom.

It looks a little rough at the moment. :lol:

That's what razors look like under construction??!! Unbelievable! Well, best wishes to you then to come out as good as it can! :straight:

I am still in the May GRUME. Just wanted to drop in and say I enjoy reading your thread.

Good Day!

Good day to you too, sir! Very kind of you. Happy GRUME to you too! We are a small, but happy group!

I'm still in. This week's shaves:

Karve Brass closed "D" plate.
Gillette Rubie blade
Wet Shaving Company Fresh Vetiver soap and aftershave
Guerllaine Vetiver Extreme EdT.

WSC's "Rustic" vegan soaps are among my favorites. Fresh Vetiver was a limited edition I picked up last year. This is one of the soaps I hope to 3017 during this QUADSAB, but WCS pucks can take quite a while to diminish.

I don't know this soap, but it's 125g and water is second in ingredients, so you 'd better load heavily! I am having many doubts myself about whether i will finish the Lea puck in time. I have 23 shaves on it, but i doubt i have consumed 25% of it... And i can't 3017 it, because i use a cream too. But i think i will finish the cream in time at least. Oh, the eternal problem of the neverending soap supply! :laugh:

Top Bottom