What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

GEMonday, even in the QUADSAB...
PXL_20210517_155807531-01.jpeg

GEM Damaskeen / GEM Personna SS PTFE
MdC Fougere
Heritage Collection Klenzo
Old Spice Classic

Lovely, lovely shave today. The LOTH has left for a spiritual retreat so that means razor honing and restorations tonight! Win/win for sure!

Skipped shaving yesterday - too busy gardening and running errands. And then of course when I got home and checked email, I see messages from Bullgoose, Maggards and Barrister & Mann promoting sales. At this point I just delete them without even looking. I might actually unsubscribe from a couple of those....

Good tactic, sir. Sales are always recurring anyway. Unless you need something very important or unique, they will be there after a few months again. Myself, i just told myself "You will buy some things in the next restock window" and i feel calm knowing that i will use the window.

Good tactic, sir. Sales are always recurring anyway. Unless you need something very important or unique, they will be there after a few months again. Myself, i just told myself "You will buy some things in the next restock window" and i feel calm knowing that i will use the window.
I may have to get in on one of these. Your window will feel like a splurge to satisfy that urge and yet mainly be replacing needed items AND it will not happen too often because window....
Tempting. Must check rules for gifting clauses as my wife knows I like shave stuff for gifts.

I may have to get in on one of these. Your window will feel like a splurge to satisfy that urge and yet mainly be replacing needed items AND it will not happen too often because window....
Tempting. Must check rules for gifting clauses as my wife knows I like shave stuff for gifts.

I splurged in April really. And i don't need anything. But there is 1 soap that i want to try at all costs just for the scent and price-performance and i want a bit more of another triple milled soap that i bought in April. Triple milled don't go bad anyway, so i may as well get them. With brushes i am fed up. I will be sending some of my less liked soaps to Burundi in a few months, to make more space for the new ones. Without the Quadsab i would have probably bought more. And with the Quadsab, you are building up resistance. If you start resisting new purchases for months, then it becomes more easy to resist for longer. I think!

About gifts, i am not expert, but i think, by reading the rules, that as long as you don't ASK for somethingto your wife, then they are allowed.

Maybe, you're allowed to receive a gift if it's unasked for, but not use it until QUADSAB ends?

Yeah, one thing the sabbaticals help with is removing yourself from the stimulus/response habits with purchases. If I make myself wait four months before purchasing a soap, I can better figure out which ones I reallt want and which were just my falling victim to "OMG new improved!" advertisements. My soft spot has been soaps. QUADSAB will give me time to finish a puck or two, so I should be able to buy one during the "reload" period and feel like I'm replenishing my soap stash and not adding to it. If I can kaibosh two soaps and purchase one in September, that's math I like.

Last edited:
Maybe, you're allowed to receive a gift if it's unasked for, but not use it until QUADSAB ends?

Yeah, one thing the sabbaticals help with is removing yourself from the stimulus/response habits with purchases. If I make myself wait four months before purchasing a soap, I can better figure out which ones I reallt want and which were just my falling victim to "OMG new improved!" advertisements. My soft spot has been soaps. QUADSAB will give me time to finish a puck or two, so I should be able to buy one during the "reload" period and feel like I'm replacing my soap stash and not adding to it. If I can kaibosh two soaps and purchase one in September, that's math I like.

The rule about gifts is the same for the yearly Sabbatical, so i try to maintain compatibility. It states:

Gifts. You cannot ask for, solicit, hint at, etc., gifts in any way

To me, this means that if someone SPONTANEOUSLY gifts you something, it is alright, even if inside the QUADSAB. But you can't go to your wife and say "I want you to gift me a Chubby!". The part about hints, i think it is at the personal discretion and honor. If you had said to your wife 6 months ago that you like Chubby and your wife remembers and brings you a Chubby, then it is not your fault.

At least, this is what i understand. But english is not my native language, so feel free to correct the meaning.

About the utility, i agree with you. By the end of the Quadsab, there are good chances that i will have killed a Lea puck and a Proraso tube. So, together with the soaps i will send to Burundi (the Arkos are going for sure, except for 1 maybe, so are the Proraso Reds), even if i buy 1 croap and 2-3 more Muhle Sea Buckthorns at September, i will have not expanded my soaps really. Without the Quadsab God knows what i might have bought. And being the initializer of the Quadsab, i can't fail it. It is a matter of honor...

Gifts. You cannot ask for, solicit, hint at, etc., gifts in any way

To me, this means that if someone SPONTANEOUSLY gifts you something, it is alright, even if inside the QUADSAB. But you can't go to your wife and say "I want you to gift me a Chubby!". The part about hints, i think it is at the personal discretion and honor. If you had said to your wife 6 months ago that you like Chubby and your wife remembers and brings you a Chubby, then it is not your fault.

At least, this is what i understand. But english is not my native language, so feel free to correct the meaning.
English is my native language, but nobody understands the ever changing, no sense making, English language LOL.

But the way you "understand" it is how I would read that as well. So it must be right....

OK. Sounds like something I would benefit from. Now will I remember that in September and feel the same way haha. Time will tell.

You are free to decide, sir. I think that for September, i will put 5 September as starting date. So that if anyone returns from summer vacations, can still join or buy something before joining.

English is my native language, but nobody understands the ever changing, no sense making, English language LOL.

But the way you "understand" it is how I would read that as well. So it must be right....

I am glad then, sir! The whole reasoning behind the Sabbatical is that you don't spend money on shaving gear. So, if someone ELSE makes you a gift of their own will, it isn't your fault, so why would it be a failure of your Sabbatical. You can't possibly tell or phone everyone to "stop making me shaving gifts!". :lol1: This goes beyond the purpose of a thread in a shaving forum.

Still in.
Razor: RR German 37
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: MWF
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
This was my first use of MWF, and I was impressed. I test lathered with a synthetic before shaving, and honestly that seemed to work better. I have a love/hate relationship with that brush! Post-shave feel of MWF was terrific, and the scent is pleasant as well.
Have a great day y’all!
CE8B5B1A-51CD-4CDD-9F8D-C30DFBBF8573.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Hey, Quadsabbers! Greetings from the Grume! Have you guys seen these mysterious posts about "Beagles" tonight? Well. I can't say much, but I can tell you that you should check your Quadsab Rules under Exceptions, 1.0.

That's all I can say about the "Beagle" tonight... stay tuned!!!

beagle shopping.jpg

Hey, Quadsabbers! Greetings from the Grume! Have you guys seen these mysterious posts about "Beagles" tonight? Well. I can't say much, but I can tell you that you should check your Quadsab Rules under Exceptions, 1.0.

That's all I can say about the "Beagle" tonight... stay tuned!!!

:a14:

Oh, Richard! Can i still call you that??? Why did you change avatar? I feel like i lost a friend! Alright, go on, make fun of the old Burundian Hawk! You cinema stars have your quirks! :laugh: But, remember! Sic transit gloria mundi!

What did you expect! I am an amateur! :lol1: I got most of the rules from older sabbaticals! I didn't know anything about this "Mr. Bingle exchange", so i kept it, in case it starts at some point. Apparently, it was interrupted due to covid.

So i thought "Why do i care? If it exists, it's covered too. If not, who cares!".

In the next Quadsab i will have to update the rules anyway to include a modification already made. I like Beagles! I also like Darwin! Say, if am not too bold, why don't you and @FarmerTan join the next Quadsab? We will have so much fun! We can make Arko jokes too!

:a14:

Oh, Richard! Can i still call you that??? Why did you change avatar? I feel like i lost a friend! Alright, go on, make fun of the old Burundian Hawk! You cinema stars have your quirks! :laugh: But, remember! Sic transit gloria mundi!

What did you expect! I am an amateur! :lol1: I got most of the rules from older sabbaticals! I didn't know anything about this "Mr. Bingle exchange", so i kept it, in case it starts at some point. Apparently, it was interrupted due to covid.

So i thought "Why do i care? If it exists, it's covered too. If not, who cares!".

In the next Quadsab i will have to update the rules anyway to include a modification already made. I like Beagles! I also like Darwin! Say, if am not too bold, why don't you and @FarmerTan join the next Quadsab? We will have so much fun! We can make Arko jokes too!
I’m thinking he is talking about the B&B group buys. At least that is what I’m hoping for! Sounds like @Owen Bawn knows something we don’t about an upcoming limited edition B&B item!! 😬😬🤞🤞

I’m thinking he is talking about the B&B group buys. At least that is what I’m hoping for! Sounds like @Owen Bawn knows something we don’t about an upcoming limited edition B&B item!! 😬😬🤞🤞

Oh! A B&B group buy related to "Beagles"?! I thought it was an ingenious play of words related to the rule about Mr. Bingle! :laugh:

Could be either. There a thread in the general discussion section that hinted at a big reveal today...

I saw it too afterwards. At this point i am sure it is about a brush with the colors of a beagle dog! Mr. Bingle was a coincidence. How should i know! @Owen Bawn is a quick-witted Irish gentleman, i thought he caught the "Mr. Bingle" thing out of the rules! :laugh:

Top Bottom