What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

I've been thinking about an earlier comment about the HC Merit 99-5.
I suppose you use the Duke or other, shorter handle brushes to face lather. Because i was looking at that handle and i couldn't figure how i should hold it to face lather. It looks like 100% handle for bowl latherers.

It dawned in me that that was my brush for the FFFMM with MdC being my soap. I actually face lathered with that brush and soap for at least half of the shaves that month. No problems using that brush for face lathering IMHO. Tomorrow I have a similarly long handled brush on deck and will face lather with Mogno. Pictures forthcoming...

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Ah, that bear it is the same as in @JWCowboy 's pisgah! I take it is like a trademark from Murphy and McNeil. Nice badger!

So the Bear logos are for a couple of collaborative efforts between Murphy & McNeil and an outfit that calls itself "Black Mountain Shaving" which is named for a town here in western North Carolina and the two soaps they have collaborated on are Nantahala and Pisgah, named after nearby geographical features of a river and a mountain respectively.

Most of Murphy & McNeils regular soaps have a "Celtic" theme and I believe they do some other collaborations as well....

So the Bear logos are for a couple of collaborative efforts between Murphy & McNeil and an outfit that calls itself "Black Mountain Shaving" which is named for a town here in western North Carolina and the two soaps they have collaborated on are Nantahala and Pisgah, named after nearby geographical features of a river and a mountain respectively.

Most of Murphy & McNeils regular soaps have a "Celtic" theme and I believe they do some other collaborations as well....

You have very nice nature in North Carolina, sir! The Nantahala National forest in particular looks very nice. Congratulations! Why do Celtic themes, when you have an entire continent that one could use to make american themes... But marketing i guess...

Tomorrow I have a similarly long handled brush on deck and will face lather with Mogno. Pictures forthcoming...

As promised, a 28mm, Maggard's 2-band, Mojo Handcrafts used to face lather my Mogno today.
PXL_20210507_161841996-01.jpeg

Joseph Smith again today
Mogno
Mojo Handcrafts
TOBS Eaton College

Lovely shave, but it's time for the Joseph Smith to go back to the Les Lateneuses for a little refresh. Hooray!!!

Also was the first outing for the new (to me) Red Imp 700 strop after it's clean up and conditioning. Very nice! (And purchased before the start of the QUADSAB.)

@RumpleBearskin I have 6 Mognos on stock, but according to my predictions, i will use the first one next year. But i am happy to see you had a lovely shave. This makes my purchase more satisfying!

No foto from me today. I used the Yaqi green handle motherlode i bought in April, but i forgot to take a photo and now everything is wet and disassembled (i clean everything after shave).

Straight razor Sunday. No issues this week with RADS. Though I did feel a nanosecond-long pang when WSP sent another email advertising there was still Matterhorn soap available for purchase. Get thee behind me, beloved vendor.

Razor: Chicago Radiumite.
Brush: Shave Forge Horsehair
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
AS: Floid's Amber from a sample that's been hanging around.

No cuts or weepers, but looks like I'll have to put the Radiumite to the 10k stone tonight. Two-pass shave was SAS only. I've gotten better shaves with this razor - it was the first or second straight I ever purchased and the first one I ever honed myself. But must be that time of the year to get the electrical tape, stone and spray bottle out.

@RumpleBearskin , I'll have to pick your brain at some point on what a good third straight would be. I absolutely love the French steel Grelot. The Tanifuji I used to own was great, but it's square toe caused too many nics. Once this QUADSAB is done I might pick up one last straight to make it a trinity and I wonder what your suggestion would be.

Also, has there been a reformulation of MWF in the past year or so, or was there a bad batch? I bought a puck of this soap back in November 2018 or so and could not get it to lather to save my life. It was always too weak and liquidey and I eventually PIF'd it. Then more recently I noticed that some folks had written on the soap's Maggards reviews thread that they had the same issue around the same time but that newer pucks were lathering up great. I bought a new puck last month and lathering it has been easy peasy, no issues whatsoever. I don't think my technique improved that much. I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience.

PXL_20210509_125617892.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210509_125613545.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210509_125613545.PORTRAIT.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 1
@Bjlefebvre - I actually have a few restored straights I could "loan" you to check out during our self imposed exile from acquisition. PM me with interests out preferences and I'll see what I can hook you up with...

As for MWF, I only started using it about a year ago and just started my second puck. No issues lathering either I have used, but I do know some say there was a bad run for a bit.

Thanks for that generous offer, Alan. I might take you up on that as soon as work quiets down a little and I can write you a DM.

This week's set:

Declaration Grooming/ Chantillon Lux Gratiot League Square soap and AS. Both performer very well. It's a leather fragrance but has a nice top that to me smells sweet/spicy. The soap scent is like "new car" smell when you first open the canister but mellows out upon use. The AS scent is the game winner IMO - I think it even beats out B&M's Leviathan. I have the matching EdT as well.

Razor: Blacklands Vector with a Schick Pro-Line blade. Can't say much besides what' already been written. My favorite safety razor hands down.

PXL_20210509_205524908.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that generous offer, Alan. I might take you up on that as soon as work quiets down a little and I can write you a DM.

This week's set:

Declaration Grooming/ Chantillon Lux Gratiot League Square soap and AS. Both performer very well. It's a leather fragrance but has a nice top that to me smells sweet/spicy. The soap scent is like "new car" smell when you first open the canister. The AS scent is the game winner IMO - I think it even beats out B&M's Leviathan. I have the matching EdT as well.

Razor: Blacklands Vector with a Schick Pro-Line blade. Can't say much besides what' already been written. My favorite safety razor hands down.

View attachment 1264504
The more I read about the vector, and frankly all of @Blackland Razors offerings, the more tempted I become! It is a stunning looking razor! I may end up using my exception on one!

View attachment 1262869
Joseph Smith, "Universally Approved Concave Razor Set Ready For Use"
Murphy & McNeil Nantahala (Sample)
Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 200
Hazlett's Apothecary 1888

Found some M&M samples my daughter gave me. Fun stuff!

I am trying to finish my Nantahala sample. The soap works fine for me. It is nothing really special but the scent puts me off. I have let it air out for over six months and it is still too strong. Thankfully, my sample will only last two to four more shaves.

What has been your experience with this soap? Do you like the scent? I also don't care for the clay they put in it. It seems to dull my blades a little quicker. Maybe it helps with slickness but mine is not any slicker than any of my better soaps, about the same as Vitos and a lot less than Tabac.

Soaps are maybe the most YMMV of all shaving items.

Last edited:
I am trying to finish my Nantahala sample. The soap works fine for me. It is nothing really special but the scent puts me off. I have let it air out for over six months and it is still too strong. Thankfully, my sample will only last two to four more shaves.

What has been your experience with this soap? Do you like the scent? I also don't care for the clay they put in it. It seems to dull my blades a little quicker. Maybe it helps with slickness but mine is not any slicker than any of my better soaps, about the same as Vitos and a lot less than Tabac.

Soaps are maybe the most YMMV of all shaving items.

I've only used my sample one time, but overall I found it to be a decent performer (as are all M&M soaps), but nothing overly special in my book. The scent was not at all disagreeable, just nothing special to me.

Not sure about the clay. I haven't noticed any issues with dulling more quickly, but I haven't been looking for any effects.

Another easygoing shave. During the restock period of the next Quadsab, i think i will get 1 or 2 croaps. Just because i am too curious about them and reasonable in price. For the timebeing though, no temptation. The weather has improved here too, so i have ventured out for some walk in the park. Unfortunately we have some more rain coming in in the next days, but summer is almost here, so patience.

After many years, i also went back to...almost bowl lathering. Because the horse gets into my nerves when face lathering with the later disappearing. By "almost", i mean, that i do produce lather in the bowl, but i make it perfect on the face. So i finish with facelathering. To my surprise, it worked. The horse produced a ton of lather in the bowl and while using much less than the last time, i still had enough lather in the bowl for 2 more passes easily. Maybe i will start doing this on permanent basis. It is fun to bowl lather too.

bcd.png

PXL_20210511_160306050-01.jpeg

W. Greaves & Sons
WK Fougere Bouquet
Rudy Vey 2020 B&B Contributors' Brush
TOBS Eaton College
By "almost", i mean, that i do produce lather in the bowl, but i make it perfect on the face. So I finish with face lathering.

This is my general method. Sometimes it's 100% face, but usually I do 95% of the work in the bowl and finish the perfect lather directly on my face. That's my method for "bowl/scuttle" lathering.

Top Bottom