What's new

4-H turkey

My 12 year old raised our thanksgiving turkey this year. This one weighs 27 pounds and sold at the Jr livestock auction for $45 a pound. Any other 4-H people on the forum?

IMG_1536 by Jay Hann, on Flickr

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I wasn't in 4-H but I helped a member with his hogs. We feed them every day while chewing Brown Mule chewing tobacco.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I could not do it. Everything becomes a pet. I would never make a self sufficient meat eating farmer. Good on you though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is good for kids to know where their food comes from. Far too many have no real idea what goes into getting food (animal or vegetable) on to the table.

He has some fancy chickens that are spoiled pets. He shows them and his three rabbits that are also very well cared for. He gets up around 6 and feeds the rabbits and lets the chickens out for the day. Then he makes his own lunch for school. I'm pretty proud of how dedicated he is.

I was actually worried how he would feel about the turkey going to freezer camp. He raised them from chicks and did all the feeding and cared for them for four months. He showed them at fair and they would follow him around. We didn't name them until fair because the kids have to make a sign for the pen. Turkeys are not cute. They are stinky and kind of a pain in the *** generally. Not pet material. He knew they were market animals from the beginning.

He was a part of the processing. All the mom's were inside processing, cleaning and bagging the cleaned birds. He helped there and came out to see the plucking and helped there also. I didn't want to hide any step of the process from him. He looked at it like a science project. As a club we processed 20 turkeys and about as many chickens. It took about 8 hours. On the way home I asked how he felt, if he was sad. He said he thought he might be but that he was ok with it and wanted to do it again next year. He made $1,390 and spent $180 on feed for three birds.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
We had a lot of girls around our house. The folks never wanted us to name the animals but the girls always would. I was the one at dinner that would say, 'Sammy sure tastes good, doesn't he?' Sometimes the sisters would lose their appetite and us boys got more meat!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Let me ask a dumb question....the $1200 spent on that turkey goes to the 4-H Club? A case of over paying because you know the money goes to a great cause?

(Not entirely sure how 4H works...)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Let me ask a dumb question....the $1200 spent on that turkey goes to the 4-H Club? A case of over paying because you know the money goes to a great cause?

(Not entirely sure how 4H works...)

Yes.

At some auctions, the champion calves will go for tens of thousands of dollars and they usually let the kid keep the calf.

So yea, people pay more to help the kids out. I paid to build a pen in our back yard and for feed. He paid me back after auction. He kept records of all the expenses and figures out his profit. The money he earned will fund his next years project and go into an education fund. The buyers can find out what market value is for turkeys and anything over that is a tax write off because it's going to a nonprofit organization. Buyers get a breakfast, lunch and dinner on auction day.

My mom and my inlaws bought one turkey and paid the $45 a pound. The other two sold to private buyers for $75 and $100 each.

There are some kids who choose to donate their auction proceeds to causes. I know of one child in California who wanted to donate the money to help a CHP officer who was battling brain cancer. The buyers kept returning the hog to be auctioned off again. She raised $30,000 off that one pig! Some buyers are local Ag businesses or business owners who had kids in 4-H or FFA and can help out the kids and get a tax write off while doing it. I've seen some incredible generosity at these auctions.

This is one story that was on CNN. This is an amazing story about a kid with lots of heart.

A pig is auctioned off four times and raises $10,000 for a cancer fight - CNN

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If I ever have a kid I will encourage him/her to do 4-H or FAA. We need more involvement here IMO. Kids need to do more after school than stare at a screen of some sort.

Top Bottom