What's new

4 different Personna blades...

Top- Lab blues or Med preps
Middle- plain white wrapper "comfort coated" and I believe made in USA
Bottom- Israeli Personna's
Missing- Red box Personna's (not sure how they differ?)

Do you have a preference/opinion?

Personna.jpg

Attachments

• Personna.jpg
    Personna.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Ones in middle are Lab Blues. Accutec bought the rights to use the Personna name as well as Edgewell’s plant in Verona, Virginia. Still seeing boxes with Edgewell on Lab Blues from left over stock. The newest stock will have Accutec. Same blade, same plant, so no difference, just food for thought. What’s left of Personna from Edgewell will continue to make cartridges and sell their leftover DE stock and maybe their European Holdings, not entirely sure. Edgewell appeared to want out of DE, well in the US. Personna.com still is under Edgewell and Accutec has their own website as well with any type of blade you can imagine. The Personna cartridges you see in big box stores will remain Edgewell Personal Care.

Important to note that the Med Preps will continue to be from the plant in Verona as well. See your first picture.

Love having them a ways down the road from me and like supporting the local guy. I have to find my old post on this somewhere, definitely confusing.

Last edited:
Here’s one for you also. Picked up several new Schick DE blade boxes in the country of Colombia while there last month. Learned they are actually Edgewell Holdings blades now under Personal Care, made in Germany and are actually German Wilkinson Sword blades (Edgewell Personal Care). If you have good eyesight, you can see they export to most South American countries. I really like them and love that I can buy the German Wilkies here when gone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Here’s one for you also. Picked up several new Schick DE blade boxes in the country of Colombia while there last month. Learned they are actually Edgewell Holdings blades now under Personal Care, made in Germany and are actually German Wilkinson Sword blades (Edgewell Personal Care). If you have good eyesight, you can see they export to most South American countries. I really like them and love that I can buy the German Wilkies here when gone.

The Schick DE blades currently sold in Japan are also made in Germany, i.e., the same as the German Wilkie IMO.

These are all good blades & I get great shaves with them. I have to chuckle about the Med Preps though. When I worked in a Hospital a long time ago I had to shave hair off a leg prior to surgery. They handed me a Bic single in a see through plastic wrapper & no shave cream.!

Thanks for the insight guys. The nomenclature is a little confusing on the Personna's when people talk shop...
So the "Lab blue's" dont come in the blue wrapper, they come in white wrapper, and The "Israeli reds" refrence that I hear so often refers to the color of the red "Personna" writing on the box?
Any truth to the rumor that the Lab blue's & Med preps are the same blade off the same assembly line minus an oil coating on the med preps? Cause they sure dont cost the same... The med preps are way more expensive

Thanks for the insight guys. The nomenclature is a little confusing on the Personna's when people talk shop...
So the "Lab blue's" dont come in the blue wrapper, they come in white wrapper, and The "Israeli reds" refrence that I hear so often refers to the color of the red "Personna" writing on the box?

Accutec has only two kinds of DE blades in its catalogs. One in the medical supply catalog (the med preps) and one in the regular catalog. Those are lab blues when sold to lab supply companies like Ted Pella. I wonder if they have a market anywhere other than lab supply. Unsurprisingly, the company has nothing to say about the difference between the two blades. I'd like to hope that the difference is the medical blades have to go through some extra process, rather than my cynical guess that medical blades cost more because everything in the US medical world costs more than it needs to.

The reds are called that because the primary color of the wax wrapper is red. Somehow I get the idea that they'd be identical to the private label blades Edgewell makes in the same factory for the US market, but I wouldn't know for sure.

I just hope Edgewell keeps offering German made DE blades in the US, under the WS name or whatever other name they want. I like them.

The bottom ones are Israeli platinum red personna.

You’re definitely missing Israeli crystals.

+1! Crystals are good blades that are definitely worth a try IMO.

The ‘Israeli reds’ come in different packages for different markets. These are for the UK.

Any truth to the rumor that the Lab blue's & Med preps are the same blade off the same assembly line minus an oil coating on the med preps? Cause they sure dont cost the same... The med preps are way more expensive

Med preps vs. Lab blues is a bit controversial (check some older threads on this). For me these are the same blades in terms of performance (and they come from the same plant). Others argue that the Med preps are superior. The only way to decide is to try both for yourself.

Med preps vs. Lab blues is a bit controversial (check some older threads on this). For me these are the same blades in terms of performance (and they come from the same plant). Others argue that the Med preps are superior. The only way to decide is to try both for yourself.

Big J do you recall if anyone ever contacted Personna (or Accutec or Edgewell) regarding the difference?

Big J do you recall if anyone ever contacted Personna (or Accutec or Edgewell) regarding the difference?

I recall that Personna responded that Med preps have an extra cleaning step. The question is whether this changes how the blades shave.

This comes from a 2010 post I made.

I contacted EMS and Personna by email.

As I previously posted, I wrote to both EMS and Personna concerning the Robbins blade and the EMS blade.

Today, I received an e-mail from a regional sales manager for the medical division of the Personna American Safety Razor Co. and also had a follow up telephone conversation with a a representative from the medical division.

In brief, the two blades in question (the Robbins and EMS blade) are identical except that the Robbins blade goes through an additional "cleaning up" process that is required for hospital use. The cleaning up process does not change the way the blade shaves.

I asked why the two blades and the answer is that the same blade is made by two different divisions. The Robbins blade is made by the Medical Division while the EMS blade is made by the "industrial" division, which sells it to labs. However, the process for making the two blades is the same and the blades for all practical purposes are identical.

Supposedly, someone from the industrial division will contact me within the next two days.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the prompt answer I received from Personna.

The representative was surprised that many of us like to shave with these blades and I said that Personna is missing out on some sales to the public since they sell their regular products from their website but not the medical blades. She said the medical blades are sold to distributors in lots of 1,000 or more.

In any event I had my second shave with the EMS blade and as I indicated yesterday could see no difference in the shave. As far as I am concerned they are both excellent blades.

I traded with my friend some of my Robbins blades for his EMS blades and we will both be shaving with both to see if we can see any difference.

Subsequently, when I learned that Personna was selling its razor blade operation, I again emailed Robbins Instrument. I had two questions: (1) would they still be selling the Med Prep blades and (2) who buys the Med Prep blades since I had been told doctors and hospitals don't use them. George, an owner of Robbins, answered my questions by email and a subsequent telephone call. George told me that he had been assured that the Med Prep blades would continue to be made. Secondly, he said that he sells blades, scalpels, etc. to doctors and hospitals. He said he also sells the Med Prep blades to doctors and hospitals. He said he does not know how they are used but that he sells many of them. He also told me sells many blades to individuals. I took credit for that!

Robbins sells many medical supplies - not just blades. Their catalog is filled with medical supplies.

This comes from a 2010 post I made.

I contacted EMS and Personna by email.

Subsequently, when I learned that Personna was selling its razor blade operation, I again emailed Robbins Instrument. I had two questions: (1) would they still be selling the Med Prep blades and (2) who buys the Med Prep blades since I had been told doctors and hospitals don't use them. George, an owner of Robbins, answered my questions by email and a subsequent telephone call. George told me that he had been assured that the Med Prep blades would continue to be made. Secondly, he said that he sells blades, scalpels, etc. to doctors and hospitals. He said he also sells the Med Prep blades to doctors and hospitals. He said he does not know how they are used but that he sells many of them. He also told me sells many blades to individuals. I took credit for that!

Robbins sells many medical supplies - not just blades. Their catalog is filled with medical supplies.

Thanks for that ackvil! Given the thoroughness of your answer, i’m quite surprised this “are they the same” question has persisted for 8 years after you explained that they are. You should make it a sticky!

When ordering from a vendor or from Accutec (Not sure if you can individually, never tried) The DE blades they (Accutec) make under their Personna license (Some unbranded) are listed below. The first 3 are easily recognizable as what you see online and in drug stores as the Med Preps, Lab Blues and unbranded Drug Store offerings. As of 2019 anyway. Interested now in trying their other options. Enjoy!

Med Prep, “Surgical Prep Blade” Serial #74-0002-0000

Comfort Coated #60-0257-0000 (Lab Blue/Box only)

Coated and oiled #95-0192-0000 (With Dispenser/Looks like what you would see in Rite Aid/Unbranded

Another Comfort Coated with different serial number than Lab Blue #60-0141-0000 Not sure if same blade or just different designation (Traditional white dispenser)

Coated #60-0138-0000

Coated without oil #60-0146-0000

Uncoated with oil #95-0044-0000

Uncoated and degreased # 95-0068-0000

Last edited:
Also to add, the plant in Israel continues to be owned and operated under the Personna Personal Care line (Not owned by Accutec), as mentioned above their German plant makes our German Wilkies/Schick rebranded blades. Whewww.

Last edited:
Top Bottom