What's new

3rd Wave Sock Coffee

I’ve recently decided to up my coffee game. Got an SCAA approved brewer, an Espro French Press, and just a few days ago found a 6 cup Bialetti Moka pot at Goodwill for 4.00.
I’ve begun trying different beans in my Mr. Coffee burr grinder with varying levels of success. I’ve struggled to get a good pot with the Moka and Intelligencia Black Cat espresso blend. I definitely need to get a scale! So far I’ve gotten extremely sour (under extracted?) or sort of bland from not enough grounds. Seems like the window to “nail it” is fairly small.
I read quite a bit on prep. Boil water, pour in pot, load grounds, medium heat, pull off about halfway through to avoid the tails. I’m guessing a scale will make a world of difference. The Moka pot seems to have great potential, as I like strong coffee.

My fathers coffee was legendary. Eat it with a fork thick. Maybe not the greatest tasting, but suitable for bringing the dead back to life. 3rd shift coffee. It may be considered barberic, but I’ve been drinking Starbucks French Roast for years. All to say that my palate for some of these lighter roasted 3rd wave single origins is going to take some time to develop, if it ever does.

I’ve started looking into local coffee shops to try out some different espresso’s, as I can see that coming next. I’ve also looked into different roasters. I’m in the Twin Cities, so there’s a fair number of both. Lots of exploring to do!

One with some national acclaim isn’t exactly local, but seems to have garnered a fair amount of attention, Ruby. Press | Ruby Coffee Roasters I was curious if any place local sold or served their coffee, so sent them an email. Turns out they are doing a class at a coffee shop in Minneapolis this Thursday evening. What caught my interest was the title of the class:

“A Hammer and a Sock: And Other Ways You Can Brew Coffee.”

Yes! Sock coffee!
When I was younger, a bunch of us would camp out Memorial Day weekend. Sock coffee was the order of the day, along with the B-52’s at 197 decibels until 3:00AM. The tradition was to nail the sock to a tree for use the following year.

The class is about making coffee in the best, and worst of circumstances. My thinking is that if they know about sock coffee, it should be easier to get past some of my perception of pretentiousness attached to this whole 3rd wave deal. And maybe I’ll learn something!

Probably “Dude, you need to get a scale!”

I use the scale in my Forte grinder to weigh beans other that what is loaded in the hopper. I'll transfer the weighted beans to another grinder (manual or electric) and grind them all (since they have already been weighed).

This is what they are talking about when they say coffee sock. It is another form of filter.

proxy.php

This is what they are talking about when they say coffee sock. It is another form of filter.

proxy.php
Ha! I’m wrong again!
At least they will be serving beer.

I’ll get a scale ordered this week. The Hario looks decent. Probably the next step is a decent grinder. The Baratza Sette 270 seems like a good option, especially if I decide to pursue espresso. Seriously considering the Cafelat Robot for that.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Man, I don't know what I would do without my digital kitchen scale. Hardly a day goes by that I don't use it, and that doesn't include use for coffee! I don't know what you are looking at, but there's very little reason to pay more than around $20. I'm not sure what those 80+ scales do, but I'm not sure I'll find out. Make sure it reads, at least, grams. Fractional grams are even better, but . . . geez . . . a gram isn't much. I've had the one I've had for years, and it's done me very well.

Once you have a good scale in hand, you can get your coffee:water brewing ratio correct, and that's a big part of brewing good coffee.

I took a look at the Mr. Coffee reviews, and it sounds like your grind might be as much of a problem as your ratio with regard to the Moka pot. The reviews say that even the finest grind is pretty coarse. A coarse grind is what you want for your French press, but the Moka pot needs a grind nearly as fine as an espresso grind. I won't try and talk you out of a nice Baratza grinder, but the Hario Mini Slim hand grinder is a roughly $30 solution that does a very nice job on fine grinds and is relatively easy to adjust and use. If you would rather not lay out $150+ on a grinder at the moment, that Hario Mini is a nice alternative.

Speaking of the Moka pot, I don't see why you need to leave half the water in the bottom. Just leave a little. Really, I don't know that you need to leave any, since I've not noticed that the water really has any coffee in it (so no scorching), but a little bit is not a big deal. Of course, if you like the coffee the way it is, well, it's about what you like.

You also don't need to add boiling water to the bottom. It will speed up the brewing, but I don't find that the time is worth the trouble. I don't see how in the world you're actually cooking that coffee that's up in the funnel.

For the French press, be sure that you get the ratio the way you like it (I go 30g coffee per 12oz water, but it will vary a bit from bean to bean), and find a brewing time you like (I'm usually around 5 minutes, again depending on the bean). Give it a good 20-30 second stir once you add the water to the grounds, pop on the lid, and leave it alone. Add water that is around 200F, give or take, but not boiling. You need to get the grind right for the French press, too, so do a little research on that.

Enjoy!

Man, I don't know what I would do without my digital kitchen scale. Hardly a day goes by that I don't use it, and that doesn't include use for coffee! I don't know what you are looking at, but there's very little reason to pay more than around $20. I'm not sure what those 80+ scales do, but I'm not sure I'll find out. Make sure it reads, at least, grams. Fractional grams are even better, but . . . geez . . . a gram isn't much. I've had the one I've had for years, and it's done me very well.

Once you have a good scale in hand, you can get your coffee:water brewing ratio correct, and that's a big part of brewing good coffee.

I took a look at the Mr. Coffee reviews, and it sounds like your grind might be as much of a problem as your ratio with regard to the Moka pot. The reviews say that even the finest grind is pretty coarse. A coarse grind is what you want for your French press, but the Moka pot needs a grind nearly as fine as an espresso grind. I won't try and talk you out of a nice Baratza grinder, but the Hario Mini Slim hand grinder is a roughly $30 solution that does a very nice job on fine grinds and is relatively easy to adjust and use. If you would rather not lay out $150+ on a grinder at the moment, that Hario Mini is a nice alternative.

Speaking of the Moka pot, I don't see why you need to leave half the water in the bottom. Just leave a little. Really, I don't know that you need to leave any, since I've not noticed that the water really has any coffee in it (so no scorching), but a little bit is not a big deal. Of course, if you like the coffee the way it is, well, it's about what you like.

You also don't need to add boiling water to the bottom. It will speed up the brewing, but I don't find that the time is worth the trouble. I don't see how in the world you're actually cooking that coffee that's up in the funnel.

For the French press, be sure that you get the ratio the way you like it (I go 30g coffee per 12oz water, but it will vary a bit from bean to bean), and find a brewing time you like (I'm usually around 5 minutes, again depending on the bean). Give it a good 20-30 second stir once you add the water to the grounds, pop on the lid, and leave it alone. Add water that is around 200F, give or take, but not boiling. You need to get the grind right for the French press, too, so do a little research on that.

Enjoy!
I usually end up with a teaspoon or 2 of water in the bottom of the Moka pot. Pulling it off the stove at 1/2 to 3/4 full has little effect in the end, as it keeps brewing from residual heat.

I’ve pretty much left the grinder set halfway between drip and espresso for everything. Works fine with the Espro French Press, and it’s double filter. The brewer is more like an automated pour over, and I use the fine mesh basket, so the coffee tastes similar to French Press. Might try setting it finer for the Moka Pot, just to see the effect. Hopefully don’t get to see how the pressure valve works!

A scale is very helpful, but it is not absolutely necessary. Assuming you have an accurate measuring spoon or method to visually measure the amount then you can get pretty close.

As you stated you may not be using enough coffee, but assuming you are filling the moka brewing basket up to the proper level you probably just need to grind a little finer to increase the brewing/extraction time. Keep grinding it a little finer each time until you get some good tasting coffee.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Might try setting it finer for the Moka Pot, just to see the effect. Hopefully don’t get to see how the pressure valve works!

Just make sure that you fill the funnel without tamping down--just level it off in the same way you would level off a measuring cup of flour.

Just make sure that you fill the funnel without tamping down--just level it off in the same way you would level off a measuring cup of flour.
Got it. I’ll give it a try this afternoon. It’s been years since I drank coffee other than mornings, but I’m really enjoying the restorative powers of a Moka pot after work! Better than a nap. Or at least I get more done!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I only have a three-cup one, but I've enjoyed it after getting the hang of it (simple enough, but I tend to fumble everything at the beginning). It makes good coffee, and it's even a bit of fun.

I really have found that it's not worth boiling (or heating at all) the water before adding it to the bottom.

Moka pot is the simplest coffee brewing system you will use.

No need to measure coffee, just loosely fill the basket.

No need to measure water, just fill it to the bottom of the "blow out valve"

No need to worry about brew water temp, just put it on the stove and turn it on.

No need to worry about keeping the brewed coffee warm as it is sitting over the residual hot water in the bottom of the pot.

Grind is not extremely critical so just about any grinder will work.

I forgot to bring one of my 2 "classic cat black" Bialetti moka pots last trip BUT..... that moka pot is on the IMPORTANT list of things to bring next time. Right after clean underwear.

proxy.php

Decided to make a pot before work. Dialed the grinder as fine as it goes, and didn’t pre heat the water. Much better! Totally different flavor from what I’ve been getting.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I agree with Mick. Just keep it simple. I've used a Moka pot off and on for years. I believe I got my first one in 1973 and have never had better coffee. I have been drinking tea instead for a couple of years and kind of lost my tolerance for mega doses of caffeine so I use a bit more than half caffeine and the rest decaf for my first mug in the morning. The caf is Bustelo espresso and the decaf is French Roast. give the Bustelo a try. It's made by Roland Roasters in Miami - they also make Cafe Pilon and most grocery stores will stock one or the other. They are wonderful and not expensive. Nice thick coffee. The rest of the day, I'll drink the French roast decaf which, unfortunately lacks the full round flavor of the Bustelo. I'm drinking a full 6 cup Moka pot at a time though.

Top Bottom