What's new

3rd Razor

My second post!!

After a long hiatus, I'm very happy to be back to the safety razor.

Playing it safe; I picked up and am getting back on track with an R89. Nice easy shave.

I like the Muhle line and have a R96 (black handle) sitting unused in it's box until the recently ordered R95 (birchwood) arrives. At that point I'll be able to make a real time decision.

Here's where I'd appreciate some expertise/experience:

I like the weight and feel of that black handle Rocca. A lot. Fits my hand like a glove. Can't wait give it a run. And I'm pretty sure I'll feel the same way about the birchwood.

So I'm thinking of keeping both and getting the open comb head for one of them...a "down the road", more aggressive head acquisition.

Three razors. The Holy Trinity! Page/Beck/Clapton.

But:

I've also had my eye on the Alpha Outlaw (standard). And I'm sure there are some other great choices out there, as well.

So, taking what I've written into account; I'm hoping to hear from any of you about:

1) Best case: have you tried the Muhle open comb head on a Rocca handle? Thoughs...?

2) Is the Outlaw more aggressive than the Rocca? Enough so that it would be a noticeable difference?

3) Anyone going to say: "NOOOOooooo!!! Don't do it!!!"?

4) And, of course: Got an aggressive razor you love that would fill out my Trinity?

Thanks people. Cheers!🥃

Never tried an Alpha Outlaw, but have 2 Rocca's (R94 and R96). Had the R95 but sold it. I really liked the birch handle, but the lightness threw the balance off for me. The Rocca is a great razor...smooth and efficient. I also like the more modern design as most of my other razors are the more traditional looking (exceptions include Blackbird and Henson).

Can't believe you have it and it's still in the box. I don't have that much self control. Just and FYI, I find a slightly steeper angle works best with the Rocca.

Hope you enjoy yours as well. Maybe some other folks can chime in about the Outlaw comparison.

Can't believe you have it and it's still in the box. I don't have that much self control. Just and FYI, I find a slightly steeper angle works best with the Rocca.
I know....and just found out that the shipment's been delayed!!! 😖 See how long I can hold out...

Thanks for the tip about the angle.

Is the birch lighter than the other two? The R96 is perfect for me.

I know....and just found out that the shipment's been delayed!!! 😖 See how long I can hold out...

Thanks for the tip about the angle.

Is the birch lighter than the other two? The R96 is perfect for me.
Yes, the birch handle is the lightest....the black handle next....the silver handle is the heaviest (my favorite).

Good info. I'll still wait; but should be interesting to feel the difference. As I said: the black handle's my friend.

Hmmm...I just did a full shave with the R89 (Grande). It's actually a nice shave. Could be better...but not significantly.

I don't have a heavy beard/moustache/goatee. Stay clean shaven because I don't grow a thick anything on my face.

Think I'm going to keep one of the Roccas and return the other. I may not need anything more aggressive than that.

I believe you’ll find the Rocca to be a better performer compared to your R89. If you don’t have a heavy beard then the Rocca may just be all you need for shaving perfection.

Well...I just made the move from the R89 to the Birchbark Rocca.

One nick, easily repaired with the alum block.

Wonderful shave. No burn. Closer than the R89. Definite keeper. Think I'll hold on to both the Roccas.

Very, very happy camper, here!!

I ended up keeping both the birchbark and black handled Roccas.

Today I went back to my R89 Grande just for kicks. Very nice razor but I much prefer the Roccas. Both for the closeness of the shave and the weight/weight distribution/ handle grip.

Very happy with these Roccas. I agree: think I’ve found the razor that works for me!

Three razors. The Holy Trinity! Page/Beck/Clapton.

I have no experience with any of the razors you’re discussing, but I agree with your “Holy Trinity” of British guitar greats. And to think that they were all in The Yardbirds. Wow ! Now, may I be so bold to suggest an American “trinity” and include Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, and (of course, my Avatar) Jerry Garcia. Happy shaving my friend !

Last edited:
Excellent players. So cool that Derek took the reigns like that. I saw Jerry and Duane...haven't seen Derek, yet.

Now: where do we put American born, Jimi? Maybe call him "Universal Chairman of the Board"...?

Now: where do we put American born, Jimi? Maybe call him "Universal Chairman of the Board"...?

Okay, I’ll give you Hendrix …. If you give me B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eddie Van Halen, and Dickie Betts. And you must be as old as me if you saw Duane. I was at the Philadelphia Spectrum in the Spring of 1971, and was absolutely amazed at the incredible talents of the original Allman Brothers line-up. The boys were fantastic during that “Live at Fillmore East” era. And, do yourself a favor, and catch a show with the Tedeschi – Trucks Band (After a nice clean shave — LOL !). Fantastic !!!

Last edited:
Lol…we’ve got the guys that the Brits emulated.
Let’s not forget Albert and Freddie King. Shoot: ever see Phil Keagy, early on? With Glass Harp? Made that LP sing!
So wish I’d seen Stevie.
I saw Allman Brothers at my college in Ohio. Spring of ‘71, brother. Blew me away. Probably the same tour.
Def want to check out Derek. So good.

I have no experience with any of the razors you’re discussing, but I agree with your “Holy Trinity” of British guitar greats. And to think that they were all in The Yardbirds. Wow ! Now, may I be so bold to suggest an American “trinity” and include Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, and (of course, my Avatar) Jerry Garcia. Happy shaving my friend !
Urban Legend: Someone asked Clapton what it was like to be a guitar god, he said, "I don't know, ask Prince".

Top Bottom