What's new

3ONE6 Initial Experience

Is that how much they are selling for in the States? I got mine complete in uk for £75. still, as you say, i would have expected better from a stainless handle from a company like EJ. (Plus when you look into the handle, it's 1/2 hollow,[to achieve the design weight I guess]).

One vendor sells them for that much, but if you buy directly from English Shaving Company and don't let the site do currency conversions, they'll be around $80 plus maybe $4 for shipping because we don't pay VAT. If you let the site do the currency conversion they come up with $119 today. Smarter for US buyers to place the order in GB pounds and let the credit card company or PayPal handle the conversion.

Does anyone have measurements of the blade gap and blade forward of the 3one6?
I don't have measurements but I've got a couple of pictures that might help. These are of my DE89 (left) and 3ONE6 (right).

DSC_3608-2.jpg
DSC_3611-2.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Blade exposure looks near neutral but there is more blade gap compared to the DE89. Most of the feedback has come from using the Feather blade; it would be useful if there was feedback using another blade like the Astra SP, GSB or similar.

I used mine this morning with an Astra in it and it went very well. The Astra felt sharper using this razor than it usually feels. I just got my 3one6 razor on Friday and it didn't go that well for me first shave using a Feather. Bear in mind that I can't really use Feathers with any razor, so it was a risky move using it for my first shave!

This razor to me is mid/high aggressive. Like a Rockwell 4 or even the 5 plate. I also found the thinner diameter and lighter (aluminum) handle was pretty easy to get used to. I have the gun metal version. I found it felt grippy too with soapy hands. Im just not sure I agree with the price though. It doesn't seem as heavy duty as similarly priced razors.

For a $120 stainless steel handle, I would have hoped it was milled from one single piece of steel and not glued together.

Wow that is really surprising for $120. I’m guessing they use that design so they can easily manufacture it with the other, aluminum handle options. For not much more you could pick up a Feather ASD2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 3one6 arrived from England today and I immediately opened the box and assembled the razor. I choose the knurled stainless steel handle and was surprised that it was a tube with the ends glued. Overall weight including the head was very light. It was balanced, however the handle was thinner than I am comfortable with.

First shave and I immediately had to adjust the angle. There was much blade feel and slightly rough shave. I immediately tilted to the cap more and it shaved very well, much like the Mamba. The shave itself was very comfortable and I ended up with a two pass plus touch up BBS.

A week ago I had the Carbon Shaving CX in a pass around on another forum, and these two razors were very similar where you get a different feeling in the shave depending on the angle you choose. That is also similar to the Rocca and R41. It was a very enjoyable shave, however I have already replaced the handle. :happy

In my opinion we (customers) should never fix design or manufacturing problems on a new product. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer in writing and attaching pictures of the defect. They are the ones to fix their problems. Not us.
Send it back.

So this thing is MIM and not CNC machined?

It does not appear to have a rigid enough design for me, but it’s wonderful to hear the shaves have gone well for those who have used it so far.

Much to my surprise my 3ONE6 arrived today. I ordered it from the English Shaving Company on 6/8 so 11 days total and I live in CONUS. I paid approx $84 USD delivered. Customer service was excellent. Included in the box was a sample of EJ preshave balm. Thanks do those of you that suggested trying ESC. This was my first order with them, it wont be my last.

I played softball tonight so after the game a quick shower. I let me Brad Sears badger soak, then loaded up my current 3017 project, an IV tube of Proraso Single Blade cream in Azur Lime scent. One of the best creams on the market today.

The razor is a real looker, typical of EJ. I choose an anodized aluminum handle. The handle is a hollow tube and the overall razor is quite light. My three favorite blades are Feather, GSB, and Astra. I selected a fresh Astra for the first shave.

A little perspective....my three favorite DE razors in no order are; Karve SB C, Karve OC B, RR GC 84. I generally use a Feather in all three of those razors. I had a EJ DE89 years ago, it was a great razor but a bit mild for me, PIF'd it, wish I hadnt. I use a Tech from time to time and can get BBS in 4 passes with a Feather blade.

So the first shave...and I stress first. I had no quality issues with the handle or any other part of the razor, it appears of fine quality. I have to say, if you are looking for a stainless DE89, pass on the 316. Its a fair amount more aggressive than the DE89. When I first started the shave I tried riding the cap as the Astra glided through the whiskers effortlessly, but, I got the sense that if I didnt pay very close attention I'd get bit. So I backed off on the angle, and rode the safety bar. Still a smooth shave but quite a bit more audible feedback. Holding that angle I felt well protected.

Two passes, WTG / XTG, and I was done. Oh...1.5 days of growth. I went for three passes and threw in an ATG. No worries, BBS all the way around.

So one shave in and I have to say this was the most satisfying first shave with a razor since the Karve C. I've seen this razor compared to a DE89 and Feather ASD2. It shouldnt be compared to either as it shaves like neither. I'm not going to say its better or worse than any of my three favorites after only one shave, but its earned a spot in the rotation and time will tell.

If you like the shave of a Tech, ASD2, or DE89, you probably wont like this razor. If you like hyper aggressive razors like a Karve F you probably wont like the 3ONE6 either. If you're somewhere in the middle it might be worth trying some day. If you do pick one up, this razor doesnt come with training wheels so experiment with blades and angles and you should find something you like. It doesnt have a lot of blade feel, but their is some if you ride the cap. Blade gap is fairly high which likely contributes to some of the aggressiveness. I feel like wiht this razor, if a guy pays attention, you can have a mid-mild shave riding the bar, or a quite aggressive shave riding the cap. I am hopeful this may turn out to be a real beauty. I'll come back with more posts after 20 or 30 shaves. Cheers.

EJ 3one6.JPG

Excellent write-up! Plenty of details for some to understand what this razor is like.

I received the same blue version this week, but all my shaves have been rushed. I will get to concentrate on it this weekend.

There is one aspect that you didn’t mention - the ridged/textured safety bar. I do think I can feel it’s effect. That it drags a bit to pull your skin taught.

Top Bottom