What's new

3ONE6 Initial Experience

I experienced some additional heat when I first started using the 3one6 but it has since gone away. I don’t know if I just got used to it or my technique subtly changed.
interesting, did you change blades or soap/cream with you 3one6?

interesting, did you change blades or soap/cream with you 3one6?
Joncr,

Yes, I changed blades and soaps and creams, but I couldn't tell you that any single item made the most difference. I do think it is technique and confidence more than anything else.

Some blades that don't work for me in the 3one6 work great for others and visa versa. The same can be said for soaps and creams. I wish I could say, "Do this one thing and everything will be wonderful.", but I can't.

What I do use with the most regularity, in no particular order are:

blades: Astra SP, Personna Red Israelie, Gillette 7'oclock Yellow
soaps: D.R. Harris Almond, and Mitchell's Wool Fat
cream: Don't use creams much but have had reasonable luck with Taylor's Jermyn and Castle Forbes Lime

I wish you well my friend.

Joncr,

Yes, I changed blades and soaps and creams, but I couldn't tell you that any single item made the most difference. I do think it is technique and confidence more than anything else.

Some blades that don't work for me in the 3one6 work great for others and visa versa. The same can be said for soaps and creams. I wish I could say, "Do this one thing and everything will be wonderful.", but I can't.

What I do use with the most regularity, in no particular order are:

blades: Astra SP, Personna Red Israelie, Gillette 7'oclock Yellow
soaps: D.R. Harris Almond, and Mitchell's Wool Fat
cream: Don't use creams much but have had reasonable luck with Taylor's Jermyn and Castle Forbes Lime

I wish you well my friend.
Thank you Ike, tried 3one6 this morning even though my face still felt a bit sensitive from yesterday's shave. The Derby was no improvement, still irritation. I really like how this razor feels in my hand, and I am not giving up on it, but I think I will put it aside for a while and try in a month or two. Sometimes changes in my technique, or skin condition, or whatever can make a razor that did not work in the past, work well. Enjoy the razor it is very well made and should last several lifetimes.

Thank you Ike, tried 3one6 this morning even though my face still felt a bit sensitive from yesterday's shave. The Derby was no improvement, still irritation. I really like how this razor feels in my hand, and I am not giving up on it, but I think I will put it aside for a while and try in a month or two. Sometimes changes in my technique, or skin condition, or whatever can make a razor that did not work in the past, work well. Enjoy the razor it is very well made and should last several lifetimes.
I’m sure you will do fine. Stepping away from something for a while is often a wise thing to do.

My initial experience with the 3one6 was unpleasant enough that I sold it. Now I own two 3one6 razors and couldn’t be happier.

Good luck, take care, and update us sometime in the future.

Oh my goodness, I tried a Polsilver in my 3one6 today and it was fabulous! Like a good Scotch, there aren't enough O's to describe how smooth it was. Add another one to the list of blades that work well in this razor.

And after I was proud for achieving a nick free shave,I washed my face looked again at the mirror and found 2 cuts.

How the hell did this happened without feeling it??

I, like Ike, wasn’t a huge fan of this razor when I first shaved with it. However after many subsequent stellar shaves, I really enjoy using it. I use mine with a Fendrihan stainless handle, as the original was too small and light.

Reactions: ike
Not much mentioned about the weight of this razor. It's light. The head is probably lighter than the DE89 Zamak head. If anybody wants a stainless razor but is put off by the weight of them consider the 3ONE6. Pick it up and the thinking behind the handle design becomes obvious. The whole thing with aluminium handle weighs less than 60g, and the ss collars at both ends of the handle compensate for the light head, without being too heavy for the light head. It's light and nimble.

Merkur 37C 80g
Merkur 34C 77g
EJ DE89 63g

EJ 3ONE6 59g

It is not in any way comparable with the razors listed above. I only used their weights to highlight how light the 3ONE6 actually is. Personally I like it a lot.

Not much mentioned about the weight of this razor. It's light. The head is probably lighter than the DE89 Zamak head. If anybody wants a stainless razor but is put off by the weight of them consider the 3ONE6. Pick it up and the thinking behind the handle design becomes obvious. The whole thing with aluminium handle weighs less than 60g, and the ss collars at both ends of the handle compensate for the light head, without being too heavy for the light head. It's light and nimble.

Merkur 37C 80g
Merkur 34C 77g
EJ DE89 63g

EJ 3ONE6 59g

It is not in any way comparable with the razors listed above. I only used their weights to highlight how light the 3ONE6 actually is. Personally I like it a lot.
Thanks for the post. It is helpful.

Merkur 37C 80g
Merkur 34C 77g
EJ DE89 63g

EJ 3ONE6 59g

• Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 Stainless Steel Knurled DE Safety Razor
  • Made from Sheffield 316 grade stainless steel - resistant to corrosion and pitting
  • Stunning yet resilient and practical finish
  • Brand new two part head made using metal injection moulding
  • Delivers an unrivalled close shave
  • Generates minimal blade feel for a comfortable and premium shave
  • Easy-to-use - equally effective from a variety of shaving angles
  • Works superbly with all the most popular DE razor blades
  • Diamond knurling on the handle ensures precision grip
  • Smooth, clean and bright appearance free from impurities
  • Hand packed in presentation box made from recycled materials
  • 96.6mm long and weighs 85.2g

The claimed weight of 85g for the stainless handled razor would appear to be wrong. It's around 75g. The aluminium handles version is 59g.

Some more weight info for anyone into light razors. From scouring around it seems the 3ONE6 head weighs the same as the Feather ASD2 head, ie 30g.

Feather AS-D2 90g, handle 60g
EJ 3ONE6 75g with SS handle, handle 45g
59g with alu handle, handle must be 29g

85 grams is weight stated on Edwin Jagger website, and I have no reason doubt it.

I know what is stated on the EJ website but people have weighed them and said different and I have no reason to doubt them. Maybe the first SS handles were heavier I don't know. Maybe those claiming they weigh 75g are wrong I don't know. I don't have one so maybe someone here who does could weight it and let us know.

Post 94 is one source...

New EJ 3ONE6 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-ej-3one6.564454/page-5

Last edited:
Top Bottom