What's new

3m lapping film

Hello gents, I had the maintenance guys at my work cut me a few flat pieces of bar stock at 8inx3in. I then ordered a variety pack of 3m’s lapping film from bestsharpeningstones.com

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this stuff and what kind of results from after use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a whole thread on it here:

I have ordered a couple of 1mic sheets to try.

A lot of guys swear by film that does not have an adhesive surface (PSA backed) behind it, as
this can interfere with changing sheets....they say non adhesive is the way to go.

The only place that sells these (that Ive found) is Taylor Tools (tattoos.com)....but it doesnt appear
on there site. You have to purchase the PSA sheets, then send them an email with order no and ask them to swap
them out for non PSA film....this is what I did. You can also call them to discuss. Very nice folks.

I also had them cut me 6 plates so I don’t need to worry about changing sheets, I have enough plates to keep all the grits separate

Autocorrect has messed up Taylor Tools website....it's taytools.com

what are your sheets made of? Ive been reading that people slap these on a smooth
marble or granite tile.

Bar stock 4140 that’s been run through a Cnc at my work, I have it a try on my gold dollar and it came out great
proxy.php

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I also had them cut me 6 plates so I don’t need to worry about changing sheets, I have enough plates to keep all the grits separate

Better off with longer plates, and acrylic rather than steel. Steel is too heavy, in the thickness that you need to safely hone in hand. And you do need to hone in hand, for best results, in the beginning at least, if you want best possible results. But already, you can see the power of lapping film on a flat substrate. Just imagine how well it would work if you were doing it right.

Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade

Better off with longer plates, and acrylic rather than steel. Steel is too heavy, in the thickness that you need to safely hone in hand. And you do need to hone in hand, for best results, in the beginning at least, if you want best possible results. But already, you can see the power of lapping film on a flat substrate. Just imagine how well it would work if you were doing it right.

Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade

I do hold them fine in my hand, and they are the same size as my Shapton stones but nice try

Top Bottom