What's new

3D Printing a Brush Handle?

I have an Ever Ready 500Ab that my father gave to me that belonged to my Grandfather. I replaced the knot in it, but I must of not enlarged the hole enough & now it has a crack in it. Has anyone ever had a handle made by a company that uses the new 3D printers? I have tried emailing a couple of them, but I can't get a response. I guess I should try calling.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I don't know if you are referring to the same 3d printer I am thinking of.... I have used it in college, architecture school to make models. The result is great, can do intricate details to an extent however the model that you "print" is brittle and won't take any form of abuse.

It is something to think about, though. In a few more years we may be able to print brush handles or simple razor handles.

I have an Ever Ready 500Ab that my father gave to me that belonged to my Grandfather. I replaced the knot in it, but I must of not enlarged the hole enough & now it has a crack in it. Has anyone ever had a handle made by a company that uses the new 3D printers? I have tried emailing a couple of them, but I can't get a response. I guess I should try calling.

Thanx!!!
Charlie
I have a buddy that works at a place with one of those 3D printers. He was thinking of designing a handle for me. I think the 3D printer can do wood or something. Not sure. Only talked about it briefly. I'll ask him next time I run into him.

3D printers are so cool. I do think they've found ways to use durable materials now - things like metallic powders that, once "printed," become just as solid and substantial as the real thing.

Something else I have considered is having someone with a lathe turn one out of a blank of wood such as teak & then painting it in the two-tone colours of ivory & green.

What do you gentlemen think of that option?

Some of the Semogue handles are made like that. Keep in mind that people drop handles, so the paint may chip over time. But you can always repaint it.

proxy.php

There are a variety of places on the net where you can send a cad model and they will print the product for you. The cost isnt too bad. An example of a site that does this kind of work is Shapeways. http://www.shapeways.com. They can do plastics, metals and milk glass.

Seconding Shapeways. I've had lots of miniatures made that way. That having been said, I'm likely to pick up a MakerBot or something similar when I get back to my home, an have been designing DE's and brush handles for printing in my spare time. Most FDM-style printers (fused deposition modeling, as opposed to SLS: selective laser sintering or Stereolithographic printers) spit out parts in durable ABS plastic.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I visited one of our customers this week, they make pistons for trucks and cars. On the desk of my business partner there were several prototypes and other parts sitting: 3-D printed from a very light plastic material, I guess black ABs. They were very light.
I was just amazed what can be done with this 3-D technology.
Some time ago, I saw a video about a solar operated 3-D printer that was set up in the desert and printed something from sand.....I think it was work done for an engineering or Doctor thesis. Highly interesting.

Here is a recent Economist article on the subject: http://www.economist.com/node/21541382

That ability to create light, strong structures which have complex internal shapes may well turn out to be additive manufacturing’s killer app.

To be honest that does not sound much like a brush handle to me, but perhaps I need to think more creatively about it. A razor is closer: even a NEW has fairly complex geometry, and this further quote is suggestive.

Even moving parts, like clock mechanisms, have thus been made in one go in a 3D printer.

Imagine a TTO that is made in a single piece. Current technology may not be up to that task, but perhaps someday....

I visited one of our customers this week, they make pistons for trucks and cars. On the desk of my business partner there were several prototypes and other parts sitting: 3-D printed from a very light plastic material, I guess black ABs. They were very light.
I was just amazed what can be done with this 3-D technology.
Some time ago, I saw a video about a solar operated 3-D printer that was set up in the desert and printed something from sand.....I think it was work done for an engineering or Doctor thesis. Highly interesting.

Here ya go...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/26/solar-sinter-solar-powered-3d-printer-turns-sand-into-glass-ren/

Okay Gentlemen, I have decided to have one turned out of wood. Does anyone know who can do that? Furthermore, if I give them precise measurements (i.e. diameters at certain points) could they replicate that?

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Top Bottom