What's new

3D Printed Gillette Tech Open Comb Base Plates

Is it possible for a person who doesn't own a 3D printer to get one of these? If so, how would one go about doing that?

Today, I decided to do a comparison of a Gillette tech against a Gillette tech with the "Hensen" 3D printed base plate. Both razors have a fat handle; both are Canadian made with a 1932 patent, and triangular base plate. I broke out fresh Shark Super Stainless blades for both razors. I face lathered ARKO with an Omega 49 boar brush. The razors:

2021-11-06 13.18.51.jpg2021-11-06 13.20.54.jpg

I shaved my right side with the Gillette-Hensen, the left with the Gillette tech. I shave with my right hand which may give a slight advantage to the Gillette-Hensen. During the shave, the only noticeable difference was greater audible feedback from the Gillette-Hensen. The Gillette tech side ended up with a minor weeper that closed up with a splash of cold water. Post-shave, I applied some witch hazel and CeraVe lotion.

My post-shave assessment: Both razors left me with a DFS. The overall experience was quite similar. My sense is that the Gillette tech side left marginally less stubble than the Gillette-Hensen side.

Sounds like things are settled now. Next week I’ll post three files of the open comb design. The last iteration which has been printed and tested by InkStainedWretch and BradWorld will be labelled Aggressive, and I’ll create a new Medium, and Mild.
If it doesn’t upset the function of the blade alignment slots too much I’ll include post holes so anyone who wants to experiment with other caps can do so.

Here are the latest iteration files for the reset Mild, Medium and Aggressive Gillette Old Type Tech Base Plates.

The design is now compatible with caps that have blade alignment posts as well.

GILLETTE OLD TYPE TECH.jpg

Attachments

• GILLETTE OLD TYPE TECH BASE PLATES.zip
    107.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
In order to complete the circle, here is the updated Henson style base plate. The design will now be a little more efficient, based on feedback from InkStainedWretch. A few small fillets have been added to strengthen the outer edges, and caps with blade alignment posts can now also be used with it.
HENSON STYLE GILLETTE TECH BASE PLATE.jpg

Attachments

• HENSON STYLE GILLETTE TECH BASE PLATE.zip
    25.7 KB · Views: 32
I've now tried the new Henson base plate with three razors:
  1. A Canadian fat handle Gillette tech. Great shave; on the mild side.
  2. A Canadian ball handle Gillette tech with Gillette etched into the to cap: I felt that the edge was catching. Not on every pass, and no blood letting. Nonetheless, a very fine shave.
  3. A no name razor. This one has two alignment poles which the new base plate accommodates. The razor is very light, and I assume it's made of aluminum. It came with a base plate that made for an uncomfortably aggressive razor. The Henson base plate makes this razor work for me. I could not be happier.

I've now tried the new Henson base plate with three razors:
  1. A Canadian fat handle Gillette tech. Great shave; on the mild side.
  2. A Canadian ball handle Gillette tech with Gillette etched into the to cap: I felt that the edge was catching. Not on every pass, and no blood letting. Nonetheless, a very fine shave.
  3. A no name razor. This one has two alignment poles which the new base plate accommodates. The razor is very light, and I assume it's made of aluminum. It came with a base plate that made for an uncomfortably aggressive razor. The Henson base plate makes this razor work for me. I could not be happier.
Excellent. Thanks for making the effort to print and test.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
@RDM @InkStainedWretch Is the Henson plate more aggressive/efficient than a standard Tech baseplate? I really have no need to even test it unless it offers some more efficiency. I will be home Monday and will start printing and testing these new versions. Thanks!

Is the Henson plate more aggressive/efficient than a standard Tech baseplate? I really have no need to even test it unless it offers some more efficiency. I will be home Monday and will start printing and testing these new versions. Thanks!

When I did a head to head comparison between the previous iteration of the Henson base plate and a stock base plate, the blade feel was similar. The end result was quite similar. Sounds like you can pass on the Henson and focus on the Old Type base plates.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Finally got a chance to print a couple of the new baseplates today. I still have to clean up around the holes, but they came out looking pretty good. I figure since the Old Mild plate is now the New Aggressive plate, I would start out with the New Medium and the Mild plates. I will shave with the New Medium plate tomorrow and report back.

2021-11-24 13.54.40.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Shaved with the Medium wide tooth plate just now. Still quite a bit of blade feel. Not the smoothest, but it's an improvement over the last one. I dont think I would go any milder than this one. Overall a decent shave. Certainly a lot closer than the Tech that formed the foundation for this shave.

20211125_143956.jpg

Shaved with the Medium wide tooth plate just now. Still quite a bit of blade feel. Not the smoothest, but it's an improvement over the last one. I dont think I would go any milder than this one. Overall a decent shave. Certainly a lot closer than the Tech that formed the foundation for this shave.

View attachment 1368210
Great work BradWorld. Many thanks to you and InkStainedWretch for all the printing and testing.
I think we can consider these particular designs finalised for now.
It sounds like the Mild could effectively be considered an open comb Tech, and the Medium, and the Aggressive, one and two steps up respectively.
It’s been a fun collaborative project.
Cheers.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Great work BradWorld. Many thanks to you and InkStainedWretch for all the printing and testing.
I think we can consider these particular designs finalised for now.
It sounds like the Mild could effectively be considered an open comb Tech, and the Medium, and the Aggressive, one and two steps up respectively.
It’s been a fun collaborative project.
Cheers.
And many thanks to you for making the baseplate models. It was fun to print them and use them.

Top Bottom