What's new

3D Printed Gillette Tech Open Comb Base Plates

Your advice is much appreciated. My experience is only with CAD modelling and the results from commercial SLS 3D Printers.
I know the basics regarding domestic 3D Printers, but don’t have enough experience to recommend parameter settings. Unfortunately this I would have to leave up to the end user.
I also wanted to make the file useable for potential CNC machining of the design, so I left the underside completely flat so only one setup would be required to machine it.
I understand. For CNC use it makes sense. I posted some pictures of base plates I designed on the great 3d printing thread. They are more suited for FDM. I should make them available for download once I refine the aggression level.

Hello to all.
I haven’t been here for a while.
Good to see that this design is still generating some interest.
Just as a way of explanation, the design has some compromises built into it to accommodate all available 3D printing technology, even the very cheapest domestic 3D printers. This is the reason that the lower edge of each comb tooth is not rounded, and the base is completely flat. Only the higher end 3D printers are capable of making any shape you want, in the required tolerance. I wanted to make it accessible to anyone. Your local library for example will not yet have a Selective Laser Sintering 3D printer available for you to use. And the finish on the parts of the current design with domestic 3D printers will depend entirely on the limitations inherent with those.
I hope that explains things a bit for everyone.
Thanks for the explanation! I've gotten over it looking a little funny because it's still one of my best razors, better than both my Old Type and my Tech (the latter by miles). I use it now to clean up around a full beard because it is so nimble.

If I found someone with a Selective Laser Sintering printer, do you have a version of the baseplate files that has rounded teeth? I have a friend who has gone deep into 3D printing and someone in his club may have (or have access to) that sort of thing.

Earlier this year I saw 3D printing in action at Arizona Shavers Meetup.

Guy was doing Razor Cases he sell for about $20.00.

The process was slow, apprently it is a hobby business.

Can not be too profitable, but like I said was hobby biz.

He was booked out 90 days, business is good.

Apprently this is coming thing.

Thanks for the explanation! I've gotten over it looking a little funny because it's still one of my best razors, better than both my Old Type and my Tech (the latter by miles). I use it now to clean up around a full beard because it is so nimble.

If I found someone with a Selective Laser Sintering printer, do you have a version of the baseplate files that has rounded teeth? I have a friend who has gone deep into 3D printing and someone in his club may have (or have access to) that sort of thing.
(Un)fortunately I was made redundant from my workplace of 18 years just a couple of weeks ago, so I no longer have any CAD software available to me to make such a change.
However you can safely add that bottom fillet/chamfer yourself easily with some sand paper. As long as you don’t take off enough material that would effect the theoretical bi-tangent line from the cap to the top of the teeth. If you place something with a straight edge from the cap to the teeth you’ll see how much material you can safely remove before it will affect the way it shaves.
An SLS print will give you a much better quality finish than the one you have already printed, and you can then just chamfer/fillet the lower edge as described.

Last edited:
(Un)fortunately I was made redundant from my workplace of 18 years just a couple of weeks ago, so I no longer have any CAD software available to me to make such a change.
However you can safely add that bottom fillet/chamfer yourself easily with some sand paper. As long as you don’t take off enough material that would effect the theoretical bi-tangent line from the cap to the top of the teeth. If you place something with a straight edge from the cap to the teeth you’ll see how much material you can safely remove before it will affect the way it shaves.
An SLS print will give you a much better quality finish than the one you have already printed, and you can then just chamfer/fillet the lower edge as described.
OK, I don't know what any of this means yet, but thank you for providing this in case I learn more about it! I wish you the best in your job transition.

OK, I don't know what any of this means yet, but thank you for providing this in case I learn more about it! I wish you the best in your job transition.
This section view shows what I’m rambling on about, and should give you an idea of how much you can round the bottom edge off the teeth, by sanding it gently, before it will affect the way it shaves.
1695925651764.jpeg

Top Bottom