What's new

3D Printed Gillette Tech Open Comb Base Plates

For those who may not have noticed the discussion on this matter in another thread, which didn't start out on the subject, it was suggested that I should start a specific appropriately titled thread.

I designed an open comb base plate to be used with any Gillette Tech Cap, and had it 3D printed using SLS (selective laser sintering) in PA (nylon). I built it to try and replicate the Gillette Old Type geometry I had measured, which has approximately 0.07mm blade exposure, with the blade clamped hard between the cap and the base plate. A Gillette Old Type Tech Hybrid was the intention.

The 3D printed component came out very slightly undersized to the design, just over 0.1mm less in width, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it was enough to turn the combination into a dialed up one notch Gillette Old Type experience.

Given that tolerances like this will be experienced when printing, I decided to make three versions in order to account for it. Mild, Medium, and Aggressive. Printing for each one should be less than $10, and so long as you use the same printer and material, you could print the Medium, see if it's what you want, and then move one direction or the other for the next print if you need to. By design the Mild has zero blade exposure, the Medium 0.035mm, and the Aggressive 0.07mm. If the typical printing tolerances only swing down, then the blade exposures for each might move up about by 0.03mm. Hard to say, but you've got three to choose from at least, and room to move.

The attached ZIP file contains a 3D printer STL file for each of the designs.

GILLETTE OLD TYPE TECH BASE PLATE.jpg
Gillette Old Tech 1 Reduced.JPG
Gillette Old Tech 2 Reduced.JPG
Gillette Old Tech 3 Reduced.JPG

Attachments

• GILLETTE OLD TYPE TECH BASE PLATES.zip
    114.8 KB · Views: 37
I would love to have a 3D laser printer so I could replicate all the heads and handles of the old Gillette razors.

Goodbye oxidation, rot... :w00t:

@RDM , Good job :thumbup1:

For those who may not have noticed the discussion on this matter in another thread, which didn't start out on the subject, it was suggested that I should start a specific appropriately titled thread.

I designed an open comb base plate to be used with any Gillette Tech Cap, and had it 3D printed using SLS (selective laser sintering) in PA (nylon). I built it to try and replicate the Gillette Old Type geometry I had measured, which has approximately 0.07mm blade exposure, with the blade clamped hard between the cap and the base plate. A Gillette Old Type Tech Hybrid was the intention.

The 3D printed component came out very slightly undersized to the design, just over 0.1mm less in width, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it was enough to turn the combination into a dialed up one notch Gillette Old Type experience.

Given that tolerances like this will be experienced when printing, I decided to make three versions in order to account for it. Mild, Medium, and Aggressive. Printing for each one should be less than $10, and so long as you use the same printer and material, you could print the Medium, see if it's what you want, and then move one direction or the other for the next print if you need to. By design the Mild has zero blade exposure, the Medium 0.035mm, and the Aggressive 0.07mm. If the typical printing tolerances only swing down, then the blade exposures for each might move up about by 0.03mm. Hard to say, but you've got three to choose from at least, and room to move.

The attached ZIP file contains a 3D printer STL file for each of the designs.

View attachment 1352977View attachment 1352978View attachment 1352979View attachment 1352980
I wish they designed the open comb techs more like the old type. Looks very nice.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

The open comb tech is a rarity but know you have made available for folks to try if they have a regular one, Bravo.

Thanks for the feedback from those who have printed these out and shaved with them.

Sounds like the base plate designs could need a step down reset if everyone’s experiences all point to them being more aggressive than they were designed to be. This could be due to mis-measurement on my part, or to printer tolerances always tending to the minus range.

Medium might need to become the new Aggressive, Mild to become Medium, and a new Mild might need to be created. Or even a two step reset. Let’s see.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
They are getting so cheap that almost anyone could get one if they wanted!

At this point in time, 3D printing on a cheap printer simply requires more research, upgrading, manual effort, trial and error, and patience. An expensive printer “should” print great out of the box, auto level, need less upgrading. Emphasis on the word “should”. But both expensive and inexpensive printers can get somewhat comparable results now. I’ve gotten some great prints from my old $200 Ender 3 that I sold to my friend a while back. He still uses it every day. He prints RC car parts and sells them on Etsy, so the printers are running constantly.

Sounds like the base plate designs could need a step down reset if everyone’s experiences all point to them being more aggressive than they were designed to be.

I will shave with the mild plate today and let you know. If you make a milder stl, I would be happy to print and test.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just had a shave with the Mild baseplate. I printed this one in PLA+. Used a post-war late-40's oval slot Tech top cap. Charcoal Goods Brass Bishop handle. Astra blade. Great shave! Still way too much blade feel for me. But I like the level of efficiency with this setup. I would rate this shave as a 9 out of 10. Very good results. Just a bit too harsh, and too much blade feel.

@RDM if you can keep this efficiency level but lessen the blade feel, you may have a winner. That is always the trick. Its the reason why people are will to spend large dollars with razor makers like Wolfman to get super efficient razors that are amazingly smooth and comfortable. I will test whatever baseplates you care to share with us. You have done great work here. Thank you so much for your efforts.

2021-10-30 10.26.48.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Wow guess you're right, looked it up and they were a lot of low priced offerings not sure how well they preform or how much the materials cost but i guess i could acquire one if i really wanted.

If you want a great inexpensive printer check out Creality. The Ender 3 series is cheap as chips. $200 range. If you want something with auto level and other nice to have feature, the CR6 is the ticket. Both printers are capable of outstanding results. I know. Sold my Ender 3 and bought a Lulzbot printer that was almost 10 times the price. The difference is that the Lulzbot made great prints right out of the box , and just runs and runs. The Ender 3 needed a lot of upgrades (most of which you can print yourself) and constant tweaking. Similar results though if you work at it.

If you want a great inexpensive printer check out Creality. The Ender 3 series is cheap as chips. $200 range. If you want something with auto level and other nice to have feature, the CR6 is the ticket. Both printers are capable of outstanding results. I know. Sold my Ender 3 and bought a Lulzbot printer that was almost 10 times the price. The difference is that the Lulzbot made great prints right out of the box , and just runs and runs. The Ender 3 needed a lot of upgrades (most of which you can print yourself) and constant tweaking. Similar results though if you work at it.
Very interesting thanks for the recommendations. I just don't know if i would really get my moneys worth out of one I messed around with solidworks in highschool but I didn't pay as much attention as i wish i had.

Sounds like the baseplate needs to be fractions wider. That would fix the blade feel problem and likely make it into a great shaver.
How hard would it be to rewrite it so that the baseplate was a tiny bit wider?

Top Bottom