What's new

3D Printed DE Razor

Hey guys, just wanted to share my second prototype of my 3D Printed Razor. It's a bit ugly at the moment, but in the final design there won't be that bolt running through the cap, and the design will be more elegant. After some more testing and prototypes, I am thinking about doing a kickstarter and selling these for hopefully under $10.I would like to also make a slant bar as well as other shaving related items (brushes, scale, stands, handles, etc.). Custom orders would also be a possibility. Let me know what you think, if it's generally well received I'll move the project forward!

Album:

http://imgur.com/a/NvDQe

You know, just the other day I was wondering if anyone has made any 3D printed DE razors. I thought it was a wonderful idea and I'm glad you've done so!

It looks a bit like one of those Russian bakelite DEs to me, I'm not sure whether I like it or not but I'd probably still buy one because I'm a loon. How about doing it in black or silver or some other colour? I definitely like the idea and it's really cool that you've made one. Have you tried shaving with it?

It looks a bit like one of those Russian bakelite DEs to me, I'm not sure whether I like it or not but I'd probably still buy one because I'm a loon. How about doing it in black or silver or some other colour? I definitely like the idea and it's really cool that you've made one. Have you tried shaving with it?

It's very ugly right now! I hope you like the final model. Either way, it's less than $10 :) but I hate the white. I only own 2 non-black razors, and this is one of them. Black and gray will most likely be the two color choices for the final project, they were not an option at the time though. And yes, Both my girlfriend and I have used it and we both like it a lot. I wasn't expecting much, and there is certainly more work to do, but it exceeded expecations

You know, just the other day I was wondering if anyone has made any 3D printed DE razors. I thought it was a wonderful idea and I'm glad you've done so!

Thank You! I put a lot of research in before hand. There's a lot of challenges to overcome to make it work, but I'm and engineer and finding work-arounds to problems is what I love.

It's very ugly right now! I hope you like the final model. Either way, it's less than $10 :) but I hate the white. I only own 2 non-black razors, and this is one of them. Black and gray will most likely be the two color choices for the final project, they were not an option at the time though. And yes, Both my girlfriend and I have used it and we both like it a lot. I wasn't expecting much, and there is certainly more work to do, but it exceeded expecations

Cool. I certainly wasn't trying to be negative about it by the way, just giving you my first reaction. I'd love to be able to make something like that.

Cool. I certainly wasn't trying to be negative about it by the way, just giving you my first reaction. I'd love to be able to make something like that.

I didn't think you were trying to be negative at all, and I certainly appreciate the feedback!

very nice. what did you model it on? What CAD program? And what did you print it on? looks great.

It's my own design, using inspiration from an assortment of razors. I used Solidworks, the only CAD program that I'm currently certified in. I printed it on a uPrint, but i'll be purchasing a cheaper printer of my own to make the new versions so I have more control over production

Any plans to put it on thingiverse?

Still deciding on that. It's going to have metal threads (specialty pieces that you have to buy in bulk) and a lot of post production work to make it a quality product, so the models are pretty dependent on that. I'll keep you updated as the product continues.

I don't mean to be rude in any way, nor casting judgment at all. just thought you might want to take a look at this thread before getting to deep into marketing a new razor around here.

Keep at it! We will be interested to hear about your progress. :001_smile

FWIW, another member has made some very promising 3D printed top caps for the Muhle R41-2013:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/418446-3D-printed-R41-top-caps-discussion

If you do decide to try crowd-funding, it cannot be promoted here at B&B. There are clear rules prohibiting such things. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just trying to avoid possible future problems.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/425781-No-Kickstarter-Threads

Top Bottom