What's new

.380-Una vez mas

I have been trying to warm up to the .380 cartridge for longer than I can remember. Going back to the first pistol I owned chambered in that round (AMT Backup..almost 40 years ago), it seems I just could not find the correct firearm or ammunition both of which I was comfortable with. Ironic really. Just recently I found out the .380 ACP was the most popular round in Europe..but I digress.
So, we're going to try it "uno vez mas"..........
Tried the Kahr CT380; was not the right size. S&W Bodyguard..just no. Ruger LCP II was alright, but again, ergonomics (or something); not there.
So, enter the final (and what I hope is the last) contestant-Kahr CW380. Crazy small, respectable track record as far as reliability. Price was decent ($305.00 new).
Ammunition (yeah, right) has been engineered for the diminutive .380 to be a much more effective round today than before. Hence, even though Autumn is in the air here in the mountains (which means the big dogs and shoulder rigs come out for EDC) we are gonna give the mouse gun a run..."Una vez mas"😉

IMG_1888.jpg

I have been trying to warm up to the .380 cartridge for longer than I can remember. Going back to the first pistol I owned chambered in that round (AMT Backup..almost 40 years ago), it seems I just could not find the correct firearm or ammunition both of which I was comfortable with. Ironic really. Just recently I found out the .380 ACP was the most popular round in Europe..but I digress.
So, we're going to try it "uno vez mas"..........
Tried the Kahr CT380; was not the right size. S&W Bodyguard..just no. Ruger LCP II was alright, but again, ergonomics (or something); not there.
So, enter the final (and what I hope is the last) contestant-Kahr CW380. Crazy small, respectable track record as far as reliability. Price was decent ($305.00 new).
Ammunition (yeah, right) has been engineered for the diminutive .380 to be a much more effective round today than before. Hence, even though Autumn is in the air here in the mountains (which means the big dogs and shoulder rigs come out for EDC) we are gonna give the mouse gun a run..."Una vez mas"😉

View attachment 1146950
My wife has a Sig P238 and loves shooting it. She’s a wee lass with tiny hands and it fits her hands better than the 9mm pistols she has tried.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice Kahr! I have a PM9 and a P45. My only current .380 is a SIG 230, a bit big for a pocket gun, but a sweet shooter. I look forward to your impressions once you test drive your new Kahr! My first .380 was a little 1911 clone, I believe it was a Llama brand, that was a lot of fun to shoot. I recently saw a similar used one at my LGS and was sorely tempted to pick it up, but the price was not right and I had other fish to fry that day.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
.380, 9mm Mak, .38 Special are all within spitting distance ... Less than Mighty 9, but with the right load, it's good.

Of course, more versatility with .38 loadings! But there are some very effective .380 rounds.

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I enjoy my LCP II. I had the original LCP and sold it I hated that gun. Best of luck with the Kahr. What did you go with for PD rounds?

Had a box of Hornady Critical Defense.
Then got lucky. Found some Federal Hydra-Shock 90 gr. Low recoil. I’m good for a while.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
They are making 9mm smaller every year, but unless you’re the size of John Wayne with really baggy pockets, they just haven’t yet designed one quite small enough to comfortably carry and pull from a front pocket for an average sized guy.

The .380 fills this niche. there are hammer fired, all steel .380’s out there that have good ergonomics and will fit in a pocket. Some of the Russian 9mm Kurtz fit that bill.

But the .380’s of this description are all way too heavy to carry in the pocket. They print something fierce and the weight of them feel like they will pull your pants down!

This is where the thin and light .380 mouse guns like the Ruger LCP II. Earn their respect. As Tim said earlier, it’s squared, L- Shaped feeling it can give you while pointing it can feel a little off ergonomically.

But it more than makes up for it with ease of carry and use. It’s a point and shoot pistol. I don’t need competition match or combat alley ergonomics. Most likely, it will be pulled from the pocket, kept close to the body with a bent elbow while being used quickly and discreetly.

People used to knock the power or effectiveness of the .380, but it was effective enough to take Tupac and Biggie Smalls away from us. I have seen a few shootings where a .380 was used. And while it could be just a coincidence, the shooters of those .380’s, didn’t just shoot a couple of rounds, opting to empty the gun instead. Or at least a string or volley of 4 to 5 shots.

I have seen people survive this, but I have also seen people survive a 12 gauge blast believe it or not. But while they are anomaly’s, most won’t survive a shotgun blast and most won’t survive having the magazine of a .380 emptied into their body if the person shooting does their part.

Like Tim, I rarely find myself needing to carry a pocket pistol. But when I do, I need it to be thin, light and very concealable. My wife’s Ruger LCP II fits this bill. With the 7 rounds in the pistol, I can easily carry it in the pocket of my pajamas and an extra 6 round magazine in the other pocket and the draw string waistband is enough to keep my pajama bottoms from sagging.

The mouse gun plays a vital role in certain and specific situations.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
While I far prefer 32acp as a primary carry over 380 I have found quite a few 380s that simply work well for me. I'll admit that one important factor has always been finding the right holster; perhaps every bit as important and significant as the pistol itself.

OkieStubble

While I far prefer 32acp as a primary carry over 380 I have found quite a few 380s that simply work well for me. I'll admit that one important factor has always been finding the right holster; perhaps every bit as important and significant as the pistol itself.

This has me quite curious. Care to share? :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
This has me quite curious. Care to share? :)
Sure.

For self defense the importance is pretty much the same as in Real Estate; location, Location, LOCATION.

I find that I can place more rounds where I want them quicker and more reliably with 32acp (or 32 long) than with my 380 (9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz). I will not be serving warrants, making traffic stops, responding to domestic abuse, making arrests or trying to take down a body armor active shooter more than BBD from me. I find 32acp easier to control when under stress, more repeatable when under stress and so that is my favored caliber.

Remember, the small mouse guns were not banned from importation back in 1968 because they were hard to conceal, unreliable or ineffective.

I have a fair range of handgun choices and practice with most pretty regularly ranging from 44 magnum to 22 short yet realized that what I carry most often is one of my 32acps with a 25acp in my pocket.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think I was just posting my experiences and preferences just like anyone else. Didn't feel like 'splainin. Maybe a bit more detailed cuz I can. :)

While your intent may not to have been to explain, recounting your experience illustrates concepts that some of the less experienced may not be fully aware of, and we appreciate your sharing of your experience.

OkieStubble

I appreciate the sentiment, but I’m definitely not looking to come off as boring or a know it all. Cuz I learn quite a bit here also from others like yourself. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We are all learning or being reminded of what we once knew but may have not considered recently. I often need my memory jogged!

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I learned a lesson during my last doctors visit. The correct answer when they ask if you have a hard time remembering things is not "Not that I remember!"

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have really enjoyed reading this. Thank y’all very much.
I love my Elsie Pea.

Top Bottom