What's new

37c slant issues

Ok so i got this a couple days ago... i have in it a lab blue ...first i tried a derby extra and that was no good...then i tried a lab blue that was better but im wanting more ...now when going down on the first pass its smooth as a bum...but when going against the grain it takes me many passes to get close enough for me to go whatever ill stop...then ill use my aftershave then balm....wont hurt or anything...but later on ill feel sore and maybe even have 1-2 small patches of dry skin...now ive never had this issue with my futur clone before and its a closer shave i think...what should i do ditch the razor sell it or keep trying and hope this soreness lessens over time

I will shave you smooth WTH, XTG, ATG, etc. The key points are do not use pressure, use short strokes and get the correct angle. The razor head guides you to the proper angle, but it may take some practice. If you are having trouble with ATG, just use XTG for now. Just do three passes at most and leave it till next time. You will not need more than three passes once you get the hang of it.

Ok so i got this a couple days ago... i have in it a lab blue ...first i tried a derby extra and that was no good...then i tried a lab blue that was better but im wanting more ...
Sounds like you are judging the razor too early; try a month of shaves. Get a few shaves with the razor to dial it in but don't force it on ATG passes; same as any razor in that respect. A few different blades are worth trying to elimnate blade issues.
I always moisturise after a daily shave so never have a dry skin problem.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's not unusual for a new razor to require a slightly different angle (and/or a different blade). I'd experiment with angle for a week or so and then experiment with blades.

But it is possible that your notion of selling it will end up to be the best choice. I'd give it a chance, but I personally wouldn't suffer for week after week. If the angle doesn't show any improvement fairly quickly I believe it's safe to say it's probably not your best choice. I have an ATT Slant that was a dream from day one.

Alot depends on how long you have been using DE or SE razors. If you just started, I would give it longer (3 to 4 weeks is a good barometer). If you are someone who has been at it longer though (read years) and know your technique is solid, if you don't like it after a few shaves, move it along. We tend to get caught up in this as a hobby, and forget sometimes that it's also "just" a tool, a means to an ends. You wouldn't continue driving a car that was uncomfortable and not doing what you needed it to do, would you?

I'm fairly new at DE shaving, I've found use the sharpest blade (Feather) And work my way down in blades and practice makes perfect....

I have the Razorock version of this razor. I get incredibly close, smooth shaves. It is currently my favorite. I haven't touched my Timeless in months. (.95 Ti)

Reminds me of when I was new....
Learn a little technique, get new razors and ask why I can't get xxx in yyy passes.
Takes time. Takes different blade trials. (GSB my fav in this razor but ymmv)
Even after so many years I rarely grab a new razor, go to town on 3 passes and end up fine and BBS. Usually one or the other didn't happen.
Either I'm not BBS or I got irritation.
The age of the internet has made most, including me in your shoes back then, impatient.
Remember this type of shaving, especially done correctly, takes time.
Ever asked som old gents about DE shaving and they say "yeah I tried that when I started but I xxx or YYY (hurt myself)" this is a type of shaving that takes time, effort, concentration and then you get the reward.
I don't mean to sound like an A-hole but give the new razor some time.
Maybe this will help. With my slant, because of the slant head, at first I was making swipes perpendicular to the base of the head. The whole point of the slant is to make passes and swipes parallel to the handle and let the head be on that angle to achieve the "slice" that slants give you.
Are you watching the head or the handle? It's easy to watch head since that's normal on a closed comb straight head.
I'm not saying don't watch what the head is doing but make sure you are taking cuts parallel with the handle not perpendicular to the head. I really hope that makes sense and it helps.
The 37c became my favorite razor with a few others when I disappeared.

I have the Razorock version of this razor. I get incredibly close, smooth shaves. It is currently my favorite. I haven't touched my Timeless in months. (.95 Ti)
Between this razor, my Fatip Retro, and my Merkur Progress, I'm starting to wonder why I have any of my other razors.

Between this razor, my Fatip Retro, and my Merkur Progress, I'm starting to wonder why I have any of my other razors.
I also find myself using only three razors lately! (Sometimes all in the same shave!) Oddly, all Razorock - G37, Game Changer .84 and the SLOC.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Slant razors are more efficient and require less passes IMO. I really have focused in on pre shave over the last 1 1/2 years.
I usally go WTG + ATG + pickups and call it a day. I will leave my pre shave stuff(picture) I use every day if possible and it helps + it does not gum up my gear with oils like some preshaves.
The Merkur 37 c is a great slant and not to many folks regret using one.(sometimes leave it and come back later to revisit seems to work for some)
I brush wash my whole face with a Yaqi cashmere 24mm synthetic with Cerave hand bar cleanser followed by a rinse and apply a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area for daily pre shave. According to Gillette the beard should be washed and hydrated before shaving always and that is were the CearVe comes in and a small dollop of Aloe Vera Gel on beard area super hydrates IMO, have been using Aloe Vera gel for a moisturizer on my hair for 30+ years and it works.
Apply shaving lather and that is about as good as a person can get a beard prepared in my opinion for any type shaving.
Z-Pre shave products (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It's not unusual for a new razor to require a slightly different angle (and/or a different blade). I'd experiment with angle for a week or so and then experiment with blades.

Absolutely! One hears the Kai DE blades are just slightly wider (IIRC .009" according to @RonR). That would give you more bladefeel if you want it. I've got a box of tucks of DE blades, and it's been sitting unloved for a couple of years since I discovered Astra SP. For me that's THE blade.

I find the 37 a little less comfortable ATG even with a fresh blade. It's pretty good, though, and still I generally do a two-pass (WTG/ATG) shave every other day with it. With the Fasan Double Slant I have to do a three-pass shave, as a comparison.

And it's not the only inexpensive slant out there. I understand there's some Italian company that makes a slant. You might ask around about that. [grin]

I also have an ATT slant that I would probably protect with my life.

O.H.

Ok so i thought i should show what im talking about

Attachments

• D9E071FD-0BE0-4491-8862-61FDDCE72BEB.jpeg
    D9E071FD-0BE0-4491-8862-61FDDCE72BEB.jpeg
    604.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 0CA6C671-DC94-4525-9144-F71B9A1D9C8C.jpeg
    0CA6C671-DC94-4525-9144-F71B9A1D9C8C.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 15
I’m not new to de shaving and I had issues getting used to my 39c. I found I really had to be careful in certain sensitive spots and really think about the stroke I was doing. I couldn’t just shave on autopilot like I usually do.

As much as it was smooth it was taking me too many passes to get to the same level I was used to with other razors.

I’ve moved on. I didn’t dislike the razor it just didn’t seem to work for me. I didn’t have the patience to deal with bad to average shaves for months trying to understand the subtleties of this razor.

I’m currently using a Rex ambassador, which from the very first shave seemed to agree with me and give perfect shaves.

Yea ive gone lighter on the razor not pushed as hard and just settled for dfs i didnt shave those two areas ill let them heal first...its a shame it cant be that one step closer without that happening because it is so damn smooth wtg ...its just atg where i have to ease it right back

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If your blade angle is correct you should be fine with one ATG pass. For me that is literally one pass of the razor on each part of the face - remove the lather and move on.

My 37c used to bite me as well.. and yet it could have shaved closer. It wasn't a good razor for me to chase bbs. The blades that were best for me in the 37 were Vokshod and Astra SP.

Razors that really get close for me with no drama are Short Comb New, Canadian Pre War Tech and HD Rocket 500.

All the best to you, JM

Top Bottom