What's new

🪒🗓️365 Shaves 2023🗓️🪒

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves

PXL_20230321_223323315.jpeg

1954 Gillette Super Speed flair tip loaded with Kai SS (1), D.R. Harris Natural and Omega EVO 2.0

Saturdays thru Tuesdays are committed to special event days. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I choose my own selection. I started with a fresh Kai blade which I haven't used recently. I have become attached to the Harris Naturals soap and the Super Speed is as old as I am.

I get it about using new blades. It is so enjoyable and easier to shave with a blade in it's prime. But there is also the flip side of the story. An older blade challenges our technique and skills to get similar results. Then there is moderation. I got 21 shaves with my last blade. I still have it and can use it more if I really want to.

Today's shave was enjoyable. It was easy to get near BBS results. With all the old and new products on the market, we are in the midst of shaving nirvana...and restraintful decisions.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Shave #80 of 80 - Tuesday

Razor: Rockwell 6C - R3
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Yaqi Synthetic
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Bootleggers Original Bay Rum

Shave #81 of 81 - Wednesday

Razor: Rockwell 6C, R3
Blade: GSB (2)
Brush: Omega 10005
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Witch Hazel
Aftershave: English Leather Clubman Vanilla

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2023: 78 of 81 = 96%
Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (10)
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20230322_090528~2.jpg

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12173978

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
81 of 365
IMG_20230322_120441.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R6
Blade: Big Ben (6)
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar T3
Soap: RR Emperor

Tonight I decided it was time to give it a go with the Rockwell, it's been a while. It's not the best razor in the den, but it can still produce some good shaves particularly on the R5 and R6 plates. The shave was very comfortable and surprisingly efficient though I had forgotten quite how heavy the 6C head was. Even so it was quite easy to get back into the swing of things with the Rockwell and ended up with a near BBS finish

Wednesday 22nd March, shave #81

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid

Loaded a fresh Astra, and decided to use MWF this week. I'd forgotten to water it while it was out of action, and it had dried up a bit, but not cracked.

Had plenty of time, so got an excellent near-BBS.

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless
Ti95SCL
Gillette 365 (2)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Every Tuesday and Thursday is candy razor day as far as I am concerned. I get to use my most precious and most beautifully designed razor. I was really looking forward to this shave for quite a while, but other blade adventures kept the idea at bay. And I was not disappointed at all. A very smooth and comfortable BBS-ish result in three passes.

Further details to today's shave can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves

PXL_20230322_135909319.jpeg

Leaf "Twig" with half Q-Shave blade (made in USA) (2), Stirling Best Badger and Proraso white Super Formula

The Twig razor is the most nimble razor I own. The head is very small and light weight. It can shave in close quarters like no other DE razor can. The closest DE razor I own is the Gillette Old Type open comb- it also has a small light nimble head.
Today's shave was delightful. Small careful strokes with the Twig left me a DFS+ finish. I use our (now 15 years old) granddaughter's baby cup to pre-soak the brush.

:happybday: @Shaun asleep!!!

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Shave 82/365
Thursday March 23, 2023
Brush: Rudy Vey
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Incorporeal
Razor: Henson AL13 V1+++
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
IMG_2765.jpg

Thanks @Guido75 and @tjsgarden. I have spent way too much time on this forum, but have no idea how you figured out my birthday. I was hoping to keep it hidden. One more year, pff. Grey hairs are appearing rapidly.

Todays shave with some of my favourite stuff. I came from about a week of using the Yaqi sentinel. I loved the blade feel of the NI, but kind of missed the Yaqi.

Thanks again guys!

full

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
82 of 365
IMG_20230323_120011.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Big Ben (7)
Brush: Yaqi Moka-Express 2 band badger
Soap: EJ Limes and Pomegranate

Tonight EJ was back up for the lather, but I combined it with the R41 for the extra efficiency with the Big Ben blade. I managed to get the water right again tonight, bit I was not quite sure on the first pass, but as that passed off well it seemed OK. I haven't used the R41 for a while as I don't always get the most comfortable of shaves with it, but on this occasion it acquitted itself well. There was no irritation and the razor just relentlessly mowed down the stubble until there was nothing left but a BBS. If I could guarantee shaves like that every time I used the R41 I would use it a lot more.

Top Bottom