What's new

🪒🗓️365 Shaves 2023🗓️🪒

This week's set up for shaves 36 through 42, if I'm counting correctly!
20230203_221845.jpg

New Razor, the Schick Type J Golden 500 and 2 new knots, APSCo Independent fan and APSCo Independent ultra high density bulb.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
37 of 365
One Blade in February Challenge
MdC Monday
Muhle Monday

IMG_20230206_154733.jpg

Razor: Muhle R89 Rosegold
Blade: Personna Med-Prep(6)
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF
Soap: MdC Original

Tonight my lather was provided by the MdC/Kosmo combination that I love so much. It never lets me down and is just such a pleasure to use that I always look forward to Monday. The R89 have a smooth comfortable shave but required a touch-up pass on my neck for the BBS. I was a little overenthusiastic around my mouth and ended up with a weeper, but nothing major. I could nearly write next week's SOTD tonight, I hope I will still be using the R89 and I have not had to switch to the Rocca yet as the longer I use the R89 the longer the blade will last.

Monday 6th February, shave #37

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

SV70 again. A good near-BBS, but a hint of blade-burn on the problem area under my chin. Getting a bit over-zealous with ATG there.

Shave 38/38 of 365
EJ3One6
Gillette 7 O'clock yellow(2)
Simpson T3
TOBS pepermint
Nivea 2in1 AS
Blade is strange, it feels like tugging and scratching, and AS stings more than usual, but there is no iritation or weepers and nicks, only skin is red for around 5 min after the shave and after that back to normal, not a single mark. BBS in 2 passes.
IMG_20230205_172651.jpg

Date07.02.2023
365 days of shaving38/365 (100%)
GRUYERE38/365 (100%)
GRUME February07/28 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3 and touch ups
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (1)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tabac
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A fantastic shave today!! Wonderful. The Timeless disciplined the Tiger into performance and perform it did. Smooth, comfortable, irritation free and best of all as good a BBS as any.

I needed this shave after a number of mediocre ones. I will use the Timeless for the remainder of the week to see where she can take this blade.

More details on today’s shave can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Having gone minimalist, my daily shave will be with with:
  • Prep: The Cube 2.0 Menthol using Van der Hagen brush.
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade
  • Razor: King C. Gillette
  • Soap: Noble Otter Lonestar
  • Brush: Noble Otter
  • Bowl: WCS Timeless Blue
  • A / S: Pinaud Clubman

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tuesday February 7th 2023, 38 of 38 consecutive daily shaves.

Razor : Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo.72- Mfg 2021>, mid range, excellent design & machining QC, easy for under the nose area and a joy to use. Excellent close shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette 7 oClock SP (1) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier for myself!
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, nice Vanilla light tobacco scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Sagrada Familia" named from the famous Spanish Cathedral, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette SP blade.
SOTD Feburary 7 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

So got some new CC Cream from the Captain and one of his giveaways Some thoughts on them here in my journal the 45th parallel, Venture, Bay Rum sample of Eucalyptus and Sandalwood AS and while not a sandalwood fan this stuff is quite nice as it seems to be very natural and clean like the bay rum and eucalyptus and not as synthetic or spiced up scent :)

so todays was the 45th Parallel and this stuff smells so good :) as my wife said so good I could eat it
I can imagine some decadent European butter almond cherry cookie
something about it has a familiar scent and cant place my finger on it
a very fun scent ! I am more a cologne guy so the Venture is my fav but have to say this is very fun and like the scent more than I thought I would

the treet ultra sharp blade I was comparing did move forward to the more testing needed side of my razor bin and will kinda move into the final blades I like the most to be narrowed down more ! Was a happy surprise to finally have one move forward and then go against the nacet and some others !

2ceee9b3-ff02-4243-aac1-5eb79657c319-jpeg.1601990

Last edited:
2-7-23 Tues. AM

SWS: 6 of 52
365: 38 of 365
FEB GRUME still in

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Treet platinum (4)
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: GFS "Hog"/Omega 10019

2 pass with a tiny bit of buffing gave me another DFS+.
Pulled out the "Hog", I like small brushes but this little beast is STIFF. Been used a bunch but still has lots of unsplit bristles. Comparing my Semogue 1305 to this I would conclude that I like "floppy" brushes. I like to paint more then scrub.
Anyway, another lovely shave.

Be well
Jay

I am finding this soap very finicky when it comes to how much water it needs. I often find myself having to adjust the water, but the best way I have found to do it is to overload with the soap and add the water a dribble at a time testing until it reaches the right consistency.
I agree. Yesterday I didn't shake enough water out of my brush at the start and ended up having to add much more soap than I really needed
365 Shaves in 2023: 36 of 36 = 100%
Razor: @Above The Tie Mixed Metal CM1 (Stainless Cap, Copper Base, Titanium Handle)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2022 Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray
View attachment 1601169
The link below takes you to my journal, which has full notes for this shave and more: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12118324
Never stop learning to have a different perspective on every thing. (See photo)
Beautiful Photo...and looks like nice products!
Still in. Face irritated today. Think it may be the soap, thought I felt some burning prior to shave. Will change soap tommorow.
I had to change soaps Monday due to irritation.
I have had a few products irritate my face and for sure worse on long term use of them
The only times I have noticed soap irritation was after consecutive uses.
Nice photo.

Guys, I just felt the need to occasionally be more interactive with others.

@Ckmaui, is it appropriate to ask what blades are your current contenders?

@Ckmaui, is it appropriate to ask what blades are your current contenders?

Of course :)
I have mainly been using the Nacet as my main fav and the Gillette Green 7 O’Clock as my 2nd fav

I did get some Permasharp I loved in the wolfman but not as much in my Timeless ? I do think of course some blades just fit/work in other razors better

I have 100 of the Gillette platinum and the Persona platinum in blue label and treet platinum that also did well in the GC 84 that I was using a lot but have not been using them that much in the timless I notice I prefer stainless over platinum now :)

This post #58 has a pic of all the ones I am going to be comparing about 43 blades so figure going to take a few months at least

Now if I get a Tatara :) I might just compare say my top ten I liked and not go through the 40+ again but it is fun in a way to do these side by side comparsions

Top Bottom